Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pothole, 2 Flat Tyres on a Model 3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me guess, you have not had time to read the owners manual....

"Tire Care and Maintenance" (P150) Warning do not use any tire sealant other than the type provided in a Tesla tyre repair kit. Other types can cause tyre pressure sensors to malfunction....."

That said I am pretty sure @Vostok would be like me and use the Tesla repair kit in the first instance as a compressor to re inflate after plugging the tyre. Goop is a last resort, but yell yeah I would use it if I was broken down in the middle of nowhere like poor @Grenadine

My guess is you didn’t read the product in question which conflicts with the manual.

“...The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience.”

While you and @Vostok are busy pumping sludge into your tire that will ruin the tire and the TPMS and probably one heck of mess of the rim and probably not work.

I’ll, as a last resort, be removing the wheel and plugging it. I bet I’ll be on my way sooner and cause less harm.

BTW that comment in the manual is about TPMS and nothing more. It says nothing about the sealant specifically formulated to work with acoustic foam and that other products won’t. It is only referring to TPMS sensor. Also if I did just repair and running on a wounded tire that is just when TPMS is most critical.

Sitting here at Dargo High Plains Rd with a flat tyre. Going to cost me $620 to get to the nearest town. Then $250 to stay overnight. Then $100 to get to Melbourne. Then $750 for a new tyre. Then another $50 in petroleum to go get my car back in the weekend.

so $2k down

My wife and I will miss an entire day at work. My kids will miss a day at school.

a spare tyre would have been nice. 21 inch wheels suck. I am a little mad right now.
And so why did you buy the 21’s?
Apart from the look (bling) I can’t see a single other benefit.

“...The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience.” While you and @Vostok are busy pumping sludge into your tire that will ruin the tire and the TPMS and probably one heck of mess of the rim and probably not work.
At no stage has anyone claimed that goop won’t ruin the tyre - I think that is well understood. It’s a last resort to get you going again, in the full knowledge that the tyre you just pumped will have to be replaced. And yet despite all this... I would still use the goop if it was the difference between being stranded on the side of the road in some god-forsaken place in the middle of the night, or getting to the next town.

In my many years of driving I’ve only had one puncture where I used goop - and it worked! It got me home and I was so thankful I had it in the car (not a Tesla). So don’t be so dismissive of it.

“I’ll, as a last resort, be removing the wheel and plugging it. I bet I’ll be on my way sooner and cause less harm
Which means you keep a jack, brace, jack pads in the car... good on you if that’s what you want to do. Sometimes plugging the tyre is just too damned difficult unless you can take the wheel off. Others are taking different options in that situation.

Reactions: Flatbat
At no stage has anyone claimed that goop won’t ruin the tyre - I think that is well understood. It’s a last resort to get you going again, in the full knowledge that the tyre you just pumped will have to be replaced. And yet despite all this... I would still use the goop if it was the difference between being stranded on the side of the road in some god-forsaken place in the middle of the night, or getting to the next town.

In my many years of driving I’ve only had one puncture where I used goop - and it worked! It got me home and I was so thankful I had it in the car (not a Tesla). So don’t be so dismissive of it.

Which means you keep a jack, brace, jack pads in the car... good on you if that’s what you want to do. Sometimes plugging the tyre is just too damned difficult unless you can take the wheel off. Others are taking different options in that situation.

A brace? You mean a back brace? Or a Jack Stand? No, neither, you don't need a brace to remove a tire.

My jack is 40 ounce monster, see photo below.

I don't carry the POS compressor Tesla Sells.
I use this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6 High CFM (I won't be sitting there waiting for the Tesla compressor to fill it). Also if you break a bead, which can happen, a High CFM compressor is better to have.

You said you have information that the Tesla compressor is made to work with Acoustic Foam tires and provided nothing.

I do carry a can of fix-a-flat because I got rid of the acoustic tires and replaced them with more efficient and quieter tires on the Model 3. And my Winter tires have no foam. But like you, I carry fix a flat for only a last resort on NON Acoustic tires only if the plugging is not an option (which is rarely the case). I won't waste time even trying. And replacement tires won't have the foam. The goop pump is a use once PUMP. Even if you replace the canister (that probably didn't work on your foam tire) the goop pump will never work again. And you have to toss it along with the compressor.

I'd love to see one bit of evidence from Tesla or a Member that has successfully gooped an Acoustic tire, believe me I have looked.
The only case I did find is someone that attempted to use the Tesla goop pump and it would not even turn on. The fact they sell it means nothing to me. They sell absolutely the worst mats too.

If you want to believe the Tesla goop machine will work (as a last resort) that's up to you. Personally I'd plug my own tire before I even tried to call road side assistance (less running around, less time, cheaper, less risk). Good luck.

49507932017_4cb4490f99_h_d.jpg

My solution is not elegant but it works. Only because I have rear motor only. I carry a full size spare in the froot, a cheap trolley jack, homemade wedges and a breaker bar. I have made a suitable block that’s fits over the jack point so that my jack causes no damage to the car. (Plans for that were published on this site a long time ago, but can, I am sure be easily found). I also have a torque wrench with correctly sized socket for the wheel nuts. Never had to use them other than when I am rotating tyres which I have done twice, The “microwave” allows the full size tyre to fit with the well facing up, into which my trolley jack fits. The rest of the stuff packs in around it. The trend to no spare tyre is crazy in my opinion, even if never used.

Reactions: jaykaye
A brace? You mean a back brace? Or a Jack Stand? No, neither, you don't need a brace to remove a tire.
Brace to remove the wheel nuts and take the wheel off.
I don't carry the POS compressor Tesla Sells.
I used it last night to pump my tyres up from 39/40 psi (they were getting low) to 46 psi as a test - it was noisy but only took about a minute per wheel. I’m fine with that. Are there better compressors out there? Almost certainly. Do I care? No.

You said you have information that the Tesla compressor is made to work with Acoustic Foam tires and provided nothing.
@Flatbat quoted the user manual which is the same place I got the reference from. If that doesn’t satisfy you, then whatever, but Tesla would be breaking Australian Consumer Law if it sold a tyre repair kit in its Model 3 accessories brochure that wasn’t actually capable of repairing the acoustic foam tyres they put on the Model 3.

The goop pump is a use once PUMP. Even if you replace the canister (that probably didn't work on your foam tire) the goop pump will never work again. And you have to toss it along with the compressor.
Tesla sells replacement canisters for $37. Are you claiming the Tesla pump and compressor are guaranteed to stop working once you use the sealant? That’s a big claim.

I'd love to see one bit of evidence from Tesla or a Member that has successfully gooped an Acoustic tire, believe me I have looked. The only case I did find is someone that attempted to use the Tesla goop pump and it would not even turn on. The fact they sell it means nothing to me. They sell absolutely the worst mats too.
Gee, seems to be a bit of hostility there. My choices are not impacting your life. If my confidence turns out to be misplaced, so be it.

• Love
Reactions: jaykaye
Have you had a crack at raising the pressures yet? Am intersted to see if the fault light turns off. BTW you never got back, Are the pressures on the car in amber font?
I pumped them all up to 46 last night as a test, to see if the onscreen card reported higher pressures and the icon would turn off, but because it was late I never went for a drive anywhere, and the card showed “—“ for all tyres.

At no point since getting the car has the tyre pressure card showed any of the tyre pressures in red, even after two of them dropped to 39 yesterday. The pressures have always been displayed on the card in black. I might have a chance to go for a drive tomorrow to do a proper test and pump them up to 50 - I will report when I get around to it.

I pumped them all up to 46 last night as a test, to see if the onscreen card reported higher pressures and the icon would turn off, but because it was late I never went for a drive anywhere, and the card showed “—“ for all tyres.

At no point since getting the car has the tyre pressure card showed any of the tyre pressures in red, even after two of them dropped to 39 yesterday. The pressures have always been displayed on the card in black. I might have a chance to go for a drive tomorrow to do a proper test and pump them up to 50 - I will report when I get around to it.
I actually did have a slow leak puncture a few years ago and can confirm that the system did accurately report that. However, i dont recall if there was a change of colour involved. Too long ago. The leak was slow enough to allow me to get to help without incident.

I actually did have a slow leak puncture a few years ago and can confirm that the system did accurately report that. However, i dont recall if there was a change of colour involved. Too long ago. The leak was slow enough to allow me to get to help without incident.
Mine reports the low pressure in yellow; happened this morning. That was the sixth puncture in that tyre @ $40 each - mutter.

At no point since getting the car has the tyre pressure card showed any of the tyre pressures in red, even after two of them dropped to 39 yesterday. The pressures have always been displayed on the card in black. ..

Sounds to me more like the Orange TPMS ICON is displaying because of system fault then. As others mentioned the pressure labels turn orange/yellow (not red) when sensed as low. Given that yours are all black you would have to think the TPMS ICON is displaying for some other reason. The tyres are meant to be inflated to 42psi & I gather the low pressure trigger has been set to 10% low. Which is the default setting for Conti TPMS systems, from what I have read. So 42 - 4.2 = 37.8 which ties in nicely with why my car was showing all four tyres at 37psi and two of them in Amber Font. Presumably the card rounds the units and two were above 37.8 and two below.
If raising the pressures to 50 does not extinguish the warning, try dropping a single tyre to 35 PSI. If that does not flag the tyre as orange on the card then something is badly amiss. Supposedly the TPMS icon flashes for 60sec then goes soild at start of there is a system fault.

Sounds to me more like the Orange TPMS ICON is displaying because of system fault then. As others mentioned the pressure labels turn orange/yellow (not red) when sensed as low. Given that yours are all black you would have to think the TPMS ICON is displaying for some other reason. The tyres are meant to be inflated to 42psi & I gather the low pressure trigger has been set to 10% low. Which is the default setting for Conti TPMS systems, from what I have read. So 42 - 4.2 = 37.8 which ties in nicely with why my car was showing all four tyres at 37psi and two of them in Amber Font. Presumably the card rounds the units and two were above 37.8 and two below.
If raising the pressures to 50 does not extinguish the warning, try dropping a single tyre to 35 PSI. If that does not flag the tyre as orange on the card then something is badly amiss. Supposedly the TPMS icon flashes for 60sec then goes soild at start of there is a system fault.
I pumped all the tyres to 50 this morning and went for a short drive. The card correctly reported the pressures but the tyre pressure warning icon remained on. I certainly enjoyed the firmer ride at 50 :D although I’m nervous such high pressures increase the risk of a puncture/blowout but I hope that’s not the case.

When I returned I didn’t bother dropping one of the pressures to 36, not entirely keen driving around with 3 full and one low tyre for the sake of this experiment. In any event, if inflating to 50 didn’t unstick the icon then I doubt anything else will. It’s a weird fault and I will have service look at in due course. It’s only a minor annoyance, and provided the card is correctly reporting pressures (which it is) I just need to check it occasionally.

My solution is not elegant but it works. Only because I have rear motor only. I carry a full size spare in the froot, a cheap trolley jack, homemade wedges and a breaker bar. I have made a suitable block that’s fits over the jack point so that my jack causes no damage to the car. (Plans for that were published on this site a long time ago, but can, I am sure be easily found). I also have a torque wrench with correctly sized socket for the wheel nuts. Never had to use them other than when I am rotating tyres which I have done twice, The “microwave” allows the full size tyre to fit with the well facing up, into which my trolley jack fits. The rest of the stuff packs in around it. The trend to no spare tyre is crazy in my opinion, even if never used.

Why would this not work with the Dual Motor? Are you storing all this stuff in the void where the front motor would have been?

There is no room in the froot with a dual motor. Indeed, the”microwave”refers to the void which currently is occupied by the front motor.

I see. I was confused because you were referring to the froot (ask frunk) as if it were the same thing as the void (aka "microwave") where the front motor would be. How are you holding the spare wheel up inside that void? Did you make a bracket? Could you share pics if you have them please?

Sitting here at Dargo High Plains Rd with a flat tyre. Going to cost me $620 to get to the nearest town. Then $250 to stay overnight. Then $100 to get to Melbourne. Then $750 for a new tyre. Then another $50 in petroleum to go get my car back in the weekend. so $2k down

My wife and I will miss an entire day at work. My kids will miss a day at school. A spare tyre would have been nice. 21 inch wheels suck. I am a little mad right now.
So how did it all pan out in the end?

I see. I was confused because you were referring to the froot (ask frunk) as if it were the same thing as the void (aka "microwave") where the front motor would be. How are you holding the spare wheel up inside that void? Did you make a bracket? Could you share pics if you have them please?
No bracket required. The wheel just fits in lying horizontally. Portion of the circumference lies inside the microwave. There is not a heck of much room for anything else though. These wheels are WIDE. Takes up virtually the entire height of the microwave. Will take a photo later and post it here. The wheel does not budge.

No bracket required. The wheel just fits in lying horizontally. Portion of the circumference lies inside the microwave. There is not a heck of much room for anything else though. These wheels are WIDE. Takes up virtually the entire height of the microwave. Will take a photo later and post it here. The wheel does not budge.

Thanks!
Wow, that it fits in there perfectly without a bracket and it doesn't fall out while driving is amazing.