Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Step at a Time - Gonna Place An Order - Advice Welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay - new guy here - first post. Sorry for all the blah, blah, blah ......

I decided to buy a Tesla last week. For several year’s I’ve been dreaming of one. Wife and I rode in a stunning red Model S courtesy car while staying at the Hutton Hotel in Nashville a while back. It was the one and only time she has ever expressed any interest in cars. I will never forget her exclaiming “what kind of car is this?”. Me - I was thinking the same thing but trying to be cool about it. o_O

So after my brother-in-law buys a Kona Electric, I got excited and decided it’s time, and last Wednesday I almost placed an order. But my wife says “did you check the reviews”? I did, and slammed into a treasure-trove of horribly negative reviews on Consumer Reports. I was totally demoralized. Generally complaining about poor quality and bad customer service. :eek:

Normally when I’m flying on “impulse power”, I ignore that stuff. But I thought better, and decided to dial my excitement back a little and do some more research. Boy am I glad I found this place. And I also found a bunch more stuff in the car mags about how much Tesla owners love their cars (more than anyone else), and how safe they are in crashes (safer than the others). So I’m feeling a lot better, but have decided to take a more methodical approach.🧐

So I’ve read and read and read all about the ordering process, the delivery process, the need for detailed inspection prior to acceptance, what to expect from the SAs, how to interact with the folks at the Showrooms and Service Centers, what I need for charging, where all the SCs and public charging stations are, a little bit about service options and locations near-ish me, etc. And my plan now is:
  1. Get my second COVID shot (Thursday)
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April (I live in Mississippi, so it’s a bit of a chore)
  3. Spend now through April continuing to gather knowledge
  4. Place Order second week of May (we have a lot going on during first week of May, so no-way I want to deal with a surprise delivery during that time)
It’ll probably take something pretty dramatic to knock me off the plan to order one - and it’s killing me to stretch the process out this much - it’s just so easy to tap that button - but I want to be as informed as possible when I do. I’m thinking there is still a ton more it would be good to know.

So ..... any advice? Anything wrong with my plan? What else do I need to know? Soft spots I can see right now are:
  • Any pointers on the Test Drive? What should I test?
  • How has registration in a state different from delivery worked for others? What should I prepare or watch-out for?
  • How has experience with Memphis Service Center been?
Thanks in advance everybody!

- Jim

Reactions: Krash
Dont make your plan thinking the car will show up magically right when you want it to.

Order the car for $100, and delay delivery if it doesnt match your schedule. There's enough demand, someone else will get your car, and you'll be reassigned a new VIN/delivery date.

I didnt test any self driving on my test drive. Just drive the car as a normal car, when you get comfortable with it, start using more of the features. Its the best car I've test driven as a normal car goes, and tons more to discover/expreiment with.

Get an overnight test drive and see how you yourself feel for the car. I placed my order in September for delivery in March. After reading some of the complaints on here, I was starting to have second thoughts, so I got an overnight test drive. The car was just too much damn fun, so I confirmed my order and will be taking delivery next month.

I didn’t even test drive before taking the delivery. Was somewhat disappointed at first with its ride quality. It’s been about a month driving everyday in my 30 mile commute each way. I am so in love with it. My coworkers ask me the same question all the time - how do you like Tesla? There is too much to list. From seamless entry and exit not having to worry about carrying keys and remembering to lock, not having to stop by gas stations to intuitive new way to control your car and its gadgets. All while having that warm fuzzy feeling that you’re helping the environment.. It reminds me of when I bought the first iphone. The only regret is why didn’t I get it sooner.
I’d say place the order now and get into one asap.

Order the car for $100, and delay delivery if it doesnt match your schedule.
Cool. New plan:
  1. Get my second COVID shot - I’m still paranoid
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April - like maybe April 1 😁
  3. Spend now through April Test Drive continuing to gather knowledge
  4. Place Order second week of May (we have a lot going on during first week of May, so no-way I want to deal with a surprise delivery during that time) right after Test Drive unless I have lingering questions or something comes up during drive. Delay delivery if schedule doesn’t work for me.
Thanks!

You're over thinking it bro.
Me (to my wife): “Guess what the first guy that replied to my Tesla forum post said?”

Wife: “You’re over thinking it dude?” ....... followed by an eyeroll

Me: “NO ....... he called me ‘bro’”

And don’t think I missed the reactions from @srlawren, @tierneyalvin, and @Hammerhead786

I’m beginning to see a trend here ......

Get an overnight test drive and see how you yourself feel for the car.
Great idea ..... but I’m 150 miles from the showroom with no SCs between here and there. Nearest one to me is 50 miles in the opposite direction. I could stay overnight in Nashville but that starts to get complicated.

But ... given my rural location, the Tesla SC infrastructure was one of the key factors in persuading me to consider buying.

I’m kind of forcing myself to do the test drive anyway ..... to dial back my natural tendency to act on impulse.

Can't speak for everyone, but if you're like me and super excited about getting a TSLA, I would order ASAP. Now is End of Quarter push so you'll get the car quick.
$100 deposit is non-refundable. it counts toward your down payment. if you're set on buying one, just place it now. then go test drive as early as possible.

That sounds tempting ..... but are there risks with the End Quarter push? Is there a higher likelihood of sales/delivery process errors? Or build quality issues?
You can always refuse delivery or tell them you want to wait.
They can assign your VIN to someone else and put you back in line.

I don't think you have to worry too much about end of quarter rush. At the end of the day you'll get to inspect the car before taking delivery. If you don't like the car then refuse delivery.

You can always refuse delivery or tell them you want to wait.
They can assign your VIN to someone else and put you back in line.

I don't think you have to worry too much about end of quarter rush. At the end of the day you'll get to inspect the car before taking delivery. If you don't like the car then refuse delivery.
Yes exactly. Plus you're far from the Showroom so you probably have to go there to pick it up. You don't have to drive it home if you don't like it.

Only thing I would say is set your expectations that the service level at tesla "service center" leaves much to be desired.
I'm not used to "pay list price" so for me the fact that the dealership or service center or whatever you call it will not do ANYTHING or throw in ANYTHIG was foreign and I had lots of trouble with that. They wouldn't even install the winter tires/mags that I bought and offered to bring to them for a swap before delivery. And I picked up the car in 10 inches of snow with all season tires.
I realize that's how they do business so just be ready for it.

Also make sure you have all the extra stuff bought and read to go. Charger & installation of the charger OR special electrical plugs etc...
I basically did not charge for 3 days cause nothing was ready at my house.
If you're going to wrap the car make sure your appt is set took me 2 weeks for that also
Make sure you get a referral code for some free super charging also.
Check the car thoroughly when you pick it up.

The car is awesome and despite everything I'm very happy with the purchase. Just a very weird car buying experience that I personally did not enjoy at all.

The car is awesome and despite everything I'm very happy with the purchase. Just a very weird car buying experience that I personally did not enjoy at all.
For me, I hate the whole dealership experience. I never get the concept of me needing them even though I'm handing them a bunch of money. And bargaining is the worst part. I just want to know how much I'm paying. No game. Despite the waiting, I'd rather buy direct than through any dealerships.

New plan UPDATED:
  1. Get my second COVID shot - I’m still paranoid DONE
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April - like maybe April 1 😁 - Ended up scheduling one for today (3/25) since I was excited after getting shot. BUT ...... got rained out by a “tornado day” (not to be confused with a “snow day”) today. VERY BUMMED. 😡 Rescheduled for April 8 ...... next slot in my sched. Seems a long way off ........😢
  3. Spend now through Test Drive continuing to gather knowledge - DONE (man, I know more about this car now than I have about any other car I’ve ever purchased. 🧐)
  4. Place Order right after Test Drive unless I hate it (highly unlikely) have lingering questions (totally unlikely) or something comes up during drive (like maybe my wife hates it :eek:). Delay delivery if schedule doesn’t work for me.
So far, been pleased with interactions with Nashville Showroom. Responsive and helpful in scheduling and re-scheduling test drive.

Seems like this is taking forever though. Maybe I need to stop thinking about it all day every day.

New plan UPDATED:
  1. Get my second COVID shot - I’m still paranoid DONE
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April - like maybe April 1 😁 - Ended up scheduling one for today (3/25) since I was excited after getting shot. BUT ...... got rained out by a “tornado day” (not to be confused with a “snow day”) today. VERY BUMMED. 😡 Rescheduled for April 8 ...... next slot in my sched. Seems a long way off ........😢
  3. Spend now through Test Drive continuing to gather knowledge - DONE (man, I know more about this car now than I have about any other car I’ve ever purchased. 🧐)
  4. Place Order right after Test Drive unless I hate it (highly unlikely) have lingering questions (totally unlikely) or something comes up during drive (like maybe my wife hates it :eek:). Delay delivery if schedule doesn’t work for me.
So far, been pleased with interactions with Nashville Showroom. Responsive and helpful in scheduling and re-scheduling test drive.

Seems like this is taking forever though. Maybe I need to stop thinking about it all day every day.
Anticipation, like waiting for your lover, is all the fun! Hahaha

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you place an order be certain of your color selections (exterior and interior); Tesla will charge you if you later change your order, not just the additional cost your new color options. Consider the tow hitch; even if you don't tow a trailer it is useful for carrying bicycles with a bike rack. (If you later decide you want the tow hitch the SC can install this after purchase for a little more than the factory cost.)

Unless you are getting the Performance Model Y you have a choice of the 19" wheels with Gemini wheel covers (these are the standard wheels) or the 20" Induction wheels. Both have their advantages. The 19" wheels don't add to the purchase cost, the 20" wheels cost $2000 additional. The 19" wheels may offer a bit more ride comfort. The 20" wheels have a more premium look with little loss of efficiency versus the 19" wheels. You can always buy/swap wheels after purchase including third party wheels, different rubber.

If you are undecided about financing or paying cash you can change this later. The same goes for trading in an existing vehicle.

Your non-refundable $100 deposit can be charged to a credit card. Your final payment (whether financing or in full) can be via a direct debit service (Plaid), else a Wire Transfer between your bank/brokerage account and Tesla's bank, account. You can also pay via certified check (cashier's check.) One new payment option is that you can pay for your new Tesla vehicle using Bitcoin.

Tesla prefers that buyers use Plaid but you don't have to use Plaid if you decide to use one of the other payment options. If someone at Tesla tells you they do not accept cashier's checks, that information is wrong. Tesla will accept a certified check (cashier's check) from any major bank.

Ordering a New Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: NeverGoingBack