Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Thing That Irks Me About AP Compared To My Ionic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my M3LR last week and have been using AP for a few days now. (I do not have FSD.) My 2020 Hyundai Ionic hybrid has a suite of safety features that are a close analog of AP. Its Lane Keeping Assist works as well as AP when it comes to steering the car and gets one thing right that I think Tesla has wrong. When I have AP on in the M3 and the car is about to do something stupid like drift into another lane and I make manual correction with the steering wheel, there is a loud alert and AP disengages instantly which you feel as the steering wheel torques to center as AP releases control. I then wait to get the car into a position where it will allow me to reactivate AP and then have to turn AP on again manually. When I need to do the same type of correction in my Ionic, the Lane Keeping Assist disengages lightly but stays on but no longer steering, waiting until I release torque on the steering wheel and then seemlessly reactivating on its own once the cameras determine that the car is where it needs to be in the lane. No loud beeping, no feeling the system releasing control, no having to reactivate it. It is just so much smoother of a transition from going from system control to manual steering and back to system control again. Both cars have their lane keeping issues on windy backcountry roads (which are everywhere here) but the loud alert and abrupt deactivation of AP is both jarring and disconcerting when you are used to the smoothness of the Hyundai system. The Hyundai handles steering corrections like "Oh, you want to take over steering here? No probs. I'll just hang back for awhile and take back control once we get past this area." By contrast, AP is like "WTF? You want control? Fine, I'm letting go immediately. Call me when you think I can handle driving again."

I'm not sure if this is driven by all of the bad press AP has gotten over the years and that Tesla is being ultra conservative with AP deactivation or if it is just a different philosophy of how a lane keeping assist system should handle human intervention. But one seems to work with the driver to provide a smooth transition from system control to human and back again while other just throws it's hands in the air and says "you wanna drive? Go ahead bud. I'm out."

Reactions: nvx1977
Agree with the comments, but the Hyundai system also "stealth" disengages when it can't see the road properly, so you don't know it's off until you realise that the car is drifting out of it's lane. On the Ioniq 5, there's a little green icon that switches to grey when it deactivates, obviously not intended to attract your attention (when really it should!). And, because the system remains "active" until you switch it off manually, it can "stealth" re-engage and start to interfere when you don't want it to (i.e. after leaving the freeway).

So yes, it would be great if Tesla AP/FSD allowed the driver to take over and hand back in a seamless way, but Tesla's system is designed to make the driver aware of it's state, hence the bing/bong and extra effort needed to regain steering control.

In fact, if Tesla's system worked like Hyundai's does, they would be roasted for it.

When I have AP on in the M3 and the car is about to do something stupid like drift into another lane and I make manual correction with the steering wheel, there is a loud alert and AP disengages instantly which you feel as the steering wheel torques to center as AP releases control.
If your car is drifting into another lane while using Autosteer, you should have the car checked out. Autosteer doesn’t drift out of your lane if it’s working correctly.

in my Ionic, the Lane Keeping Assist disengages lightly but stays on but no longer steering, waiting until I release torque on the steering wheel and then seemlessly reactivating on its own once the cameras determine that the car is where it needs to be in the lane. No loud beeping, no feeling the system releasing control, no having to reactivate it.

I really really hope that FSD heads this direction. Especially during the next few years where we're going to still be stuck at L2 (driver responsible and attentive). I would be perfectly happy with the system if I can just manually drive the freaky intersections and have the car seamlessly take over once it detects no more inputs from me. Disengaging and re-engaging is really annoying. I'd say only a hard brake (more than current safety score 0.3g threshold) or a manual stalk action should turn off FSD.

Even at today's capabilities, I would use this 100% of the time if interventions don't automatically disengage. I think Tesla would get much higher quality data for improvement as well.