Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Tire With Slow Leak, replace 1 or all 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one of my tires seems to have developed a slow leak. I'm debating about how best to handle it. My car has 11k on it, and the tires are about 7/32" depth, so they aren't worn out. But one new tire with full depth is going to be pretty drastic. So what do you think I should do? Beyond getting the one tire checked out to see if it can be plugged if it's got a nail in it or something.

So one of my tires seems to have developed a slow leak. I'm debating about how best to handle it. My car has 11k on it, and the tires are about 7/32" depth, so they aren't worn out. But one new tire with full depth is going to be pretty drastic. So what do you think I should do? Beyond getting the one tire checked out to see if it can be plugged if it's got a nail in it or something.

I was in a similar situation last week. I was out of town on business and my tire went completely flat. I had intermittently having problems with the TPMS alerts on it but the tire was good. I ended up having to get my car towed about 150 miles to the service center where it was discovered I had a "wheel defect" causing the air to be let out of the tire. I got a new wheel and upgraded TPMS system.

I'd just get one new tire and not worry about it. Dunno what kind of tires you have, but Michelin Pilot Super Sports start at 10/32. 3/32" of tread difference isn't going to be a big deal.

Lots of tire shops will shave down tires to match though if you are really concerned about it.

Begin at the beginning, what is leaking? Is it the fill valve, a bent wheel, a nail in the tire? You would feel pretty dumb replacing the tire when the tire is not the problem. Not that I have ever done that >.>

Take it to Discount Tire (America's Tire) to get it patched for free or at the very least they can tell you what is causing the leak.

Try and get it patched. If it can't be patched, then I think you can get away with replacing only that one tire. 10/32" is a new tire, yours are at 7/32", so 3/32" difference, which is low enough to not affect the handling.

If you were down at 4/32" - 5/32", then you might want to go ahead and replace two tires on the same axle. Start the new ones on the front axle, then rotate them both to the rear axle (and opposite side) after 2500 miles.

plugged my tire had a slow leak from a nail at 3000 miles no issues .....plenty of posts on how to handle... tools for fast job
floor jack, torque wrench, needle nose pliers, lug wrench, air compressor and plug kit... you should have this kit IMHO unless you like waiting for AAA or Tesla to show up ...you can be back on the road in under 30 minutes with this kit
if you don't like to work on your car bring to local repair shop and have them plug the leak

Reactions: Russell
I know we're all at least sorta well off in that we have Teslas... but immediately jumping to replacing four tires with 65-75% of their useful life left because a single one has an undiagnosed leak is an unfathomable waste of money and resources.

Reactions: cadetsea
plugged my tire had a slow leak from a nail at 3000 miles no issues .....plenty of posts on how to handle... tools for fast job
floor jack, torque wrench, needle nose pliers, lug wrench, air compressor and plug kit... you should have this kit IMHO unless you like waiting for AAA or Tesla to show up ...you can be back on the road in under 30 minutes with this kit
if you don't like to work on your car bring to local repair shop and have them plug the leak

+1

One of my OEM Goodyears picked up a nail at about 7k miles. Local tire shop dismounted the tire to patch, discovered the foam inside, and accused me of being a space traveler that brought them a tire from another planet. Refused to accept the risk of applying a patch to previously undiscovered alien technology and sent me on my way.

So I plugged it myself for $10 and happily drove until they were threadbare at 20k.