Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One to watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have a small of amount of petrol left for my mowers

All (**) my grass is now cut by robot. Much prefer that. Used to be that I cut the lawn on a Friday night, ready for any weekend BBQs etc. If it was raining I had to do it Saturday morning which added to stress if we had people coming for lunch.

Now every morning when I go out the grass looks freshly cut ... 'coz it is! Robot schedule is overnight.

Not entirely without some snags (boundary wire getting eaten, chopped through with a spade if I am forgetful, and mower having an argument with a fallen branch) ... and (**) the one I have (Husqvarna) doesn't cut right to the edge, so I still need to nip round the edges (with my Battery mower), but I used to do that with that smaller electric mower anyway rather than the massive ride on that I had. No stripes either, but 1h30m saved a week, and no stress if it rains on Friday evening.

All (**) my grass is now cut by robot. Much prefer that. Used to be that I cut the lawn on a Friday night, ready for any weekend BBQs etc. If it was raining I had to do it Saturday morning which added to stress if we had people coming for lunch.

Now every morning when I go out the grass looks freshly cut ... 'coz it is! Robot schedule is overnight.

I'd love one ... unfortunately our "grass" is not only very rough but on slopes so steep you can't stand up on them! On investigating the capabilities of robot mowers I quickly discovered they can't have crampons fitted and don't like falling into a fast flowing burn (stream). I have to get it done with a Flymo and dangerous practices!

Not entirely without some snags (boundary wire getting eaten, chopped through with a spade if I am forgetful, and mower having an argument with a fallen branch) ... and (**) the one I have (Husqvarna) doesn't cut right to the edge, so I still need to nip round the edges (with my Battery mower), but I used to do that with that smaller electric mower anyway rather than the massive ride on that I had. No stripes either, but 1h30m saved a week, and no stress if it rains on Friday evening.
Sadly my grass (I can’t call it lawn!) is just under 1/2 acre and successive generations of moles have done their best to maintain a diabolically uneven surface.
add to that all the fallen branches from overhanging trees on one side and the ditch on the other, robomow would probably mow it’s way out and keep going. 😂
…and don’t get me started on the leaves!

I reckon the omission of Tesla was perhaps one of these reasons:
1) Tesla wouldn't lend them a vehicle, nor provide press info for them.
2) They're owned by some media outlet who make their money advertising, Tesla won't buy any, so they're blacklisted.

Of course it could be that one of the bits they wanted to get across, for whatever reason, is that public charging is a bit of a mess. And of course Tesla doesn't help that narrative at all. Ie. a bad story is a good, but a good story is boring.

Poor infrastructure or not, neither Tesco nor Morrison’s locally have had much by way of petrol or diesel for over a week!
I only have a small of amount of petrol left for my mowers but for now, the wild rabbits are keeping the lawn trimmed!
if I get desperate the tank in our PHEV is still full, I’ll suck some from there. It rarely uses the the engine anyway.
You might struggle with that - most have a non-return valve in the filler pipe theses days.

(I have a friend who spent an hour consuming petrol fumes before I found that out myself. I mean before he found out, obviously, ahem).

Reactions: Beady3647
I'd love one ... unfortunately our "grass" is not only very rough but on slopes so steep you can't stand up on them! On investigating the capabilities of robot mowers I quickly discovered they can't have crampons fitted and don't like falling into a fast flowing burn (stream). I have to get it done with a Flymo and dangerous practices!
Have you tried a goat??

I have to get it done with a Flymo and dangerous practices!

Lower Flymo down the slope on a rope and haul it back up again maybe?

Supposedly Husqvarna have a mountaineering robot (just checked, it "makes light work of lawns up to 3,500 m² and navigates obstacles, rough terrain and slopes of up to an impressive 70 %" but the price is eyewatering), but I've not seen one in action. Mine works on the one slope I have which is definitely steeper than spec (which is 45%) ... it side-slips sometimes and gets in a muddle - probably when it chooses to turn at the wrong time. But the majority of the time it handles it just fine, so I forgive having to rescue it once in a while.

h350-0671.webp

Sadly my grass (I can’t call it lawn!) is just under 1/2 acre and successive generations of moles have done their best to maintain a diabolically uneven surface.
add to that all the fallen branches from overhanging trees on one side and the ditch on the other, robomow would probably mow it’s way out and keep going. 😂

The ditch is fine (perimeter wire - buried or pinned-to-surface - would keep it in the working area). I have branches and junk too. Small twigs etc. it goes over without incident, big stuff it bumps into and turns round and goes a different route. Medium stuff which it attempts to climb over it then gets beached on and has to be rescued.

Dunno about the mole hills. Areas of my lawn was rough grass - I use to take a hay crop a couple of times a year. I borrowed the neighbours John Deere ride on, cut it short, and then just set the Husqvarna going - bumping along. The grass has improved, from frequent cutting, but its still reasonably bumpy.

If it was me I'd be sorting out the moles, and levelling it a bit if necessary, in order to have the benefit of Robot Mower and not having to do the mowing manually. Basically FSD for mowing :)

Supposedly Husqvarna have a mountaineering robot (just checked, it "makes light work of lawns up to 3,500 m² and navigates obstacles, rough terrain and slopes of up to an impressive 70 %" but the price is eyewatering), but I've not seen one in action.

We've a couple of areas that might be even beyond that but it would certainly work on much of it ... when I'm eventually beyond coping I may have to consider it again (by the end of the summer I get to the point of being ready to pay anything!) You're right ... dangling the Flymo is the current style. We are so sparsely populated around here we don't even have a supply of keen young lads who would like to earn a few quid. (Mind you it's shocking the amount of work I remember doing during "Bob a Job" week ... slave labour! "Here lads, you can earn your bob, just clear this half acre of wasteland filled with fly tipping ... so I can make a fortune charging people to park on it ... ")

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner