Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One touch windows only work on driver side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MYLR with FSD. I have had the car for 4 months and just noticed the driver and passenger window switches operate differently. I have been unable to find any information using an internet search, so I figured I'd ask the hive.

The driver side window switch (front and rear) has the one touch feature where one hard push of the button will automatically roll the window all the way down or all the way up. The passenger side window switch (front and rear) does not have this feature. Passenger side windows stop as soon as the control button is released, no matter how hard the initial press.

Is this normal?

thanks.

I have a 2021 MYLR with FSD. I have had the car for 4 months and just noticed the driver and passenger window switches operate differently. I have been unable to find any information using an internet search, so I figured I'd ask the hive.

The driver side window switch (front and rear) has the one touch feature where one hard push of the button will automatically roll the window all the way down or all the way up. The passenger side window switch (front and rear) does not have this feature. Passenger side windows stop as soon as the control button is released, no matter how hard the initial press.

Is this normal?

thanks.
No, they should all work the same way. From the owners manual:

Similarly, pull a switch to raise the associated window:
  • To raise a window fully, pull the switch all the way up and immediately release.

There's a window lock function but it should affect all the windows. Do the other windows work normally when you use the individual buttons on the respective doors? In our Honda Odyssey I had to recalibrate the windows once so they knew how far to travel. I don't know if the same applies to Teslas but if so, it's possible that calibration got reset for those windows.

You might try a reboot to see if that fixes it since it kind of sounds like a software glitch.

I had this happen once after an update. I called my local service center, they said they had remotely looked at my vehicle and they were going to send a tech out. He arrived the next day, plugged in a laptop, and 5 mins later all done. he said in a download it had missed a bite of information. He reloaded the data and I was good to go... hope that helps

Easy fix.

Bring window all the way down until it stalls and continue to hold the down switch for about 5 seconds once all the way down. Now bring the window all the way up and once until it stalls and again continue holding for about 5 seconds. Should be good to go after that.

This is how you calibrate the windows
Thank you Midnightsun! You were correct. Followed your advise about calibrating the windows and all is right with the world now.

Reactions: Midnightsun
I had this happen once after an update. I called my local service center, they said they had remotely looked at my vehicle and they were going to send a tech out. He arrived the next day, plugged in a laptop, and 5 mins later all done. he said in a download it had missed a bite of information. He reloaded the data and I was good to go... hope that helps
That's a very odd explanation. If a byte of information is lost in a software download, then the checksum would be off and the software would not be installed because the downloaded file is corrupt. At least that's how I think it should work in an ideal world.

Bring window all the way down until it stalls and continue to hold the down switch for about 5 seconds once all the way down. Now bring the window all the way up and once until it stalls and again continue holding for about 5 seconds. Should be good to go after that.

When you hold down for 5 seconds, do you mean hold down fully (engage the auto roll down) or just halfway (engage the manual roll down) or does it not matter? Same thing with up.