Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week in - A couple questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple questions that I was hoping this community could help clarify. I have a 2021 Model Y that I picked up on Dec. 23rd.

1. My Spotify playlists aren't syncing 100%. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

2. Shouldn't the passenger side vents turn off when there isn't a passenger on sitting in the seat? Mine stays on. On the Model Y I test drove, if nobody was sitting in the passenger seat, the vents weren't giving out any air.

3. Does anyone know the torque split of the AWD system? Does it primarily send torque to the front or back under regular conditions?

4.) Does anyone know what that deep bass banging is? I hear a deep bass 'boom boom'. I've noticed it when the car is idle or when I'm backing up. This isn't the 'pop' that you hear when the car is super charging.

1) The Spotify Premium in my Model Y seems to frequently drop playlists. The missing playlists show up on the Spotify phone app. Usually the most recently accessed playlist on the phone app will sync with the Model Y the next time I enter the vehicle.

2) Not sure; last summer the passenger air vent would definitely turn off with no one in the Model Y's front passenger seat. Do you have anything on the seat that could trigger the vent to be active?

3) Mostly rear wheel drive biased. The Model Y will engage the front motor under heavy acceleration or if wheel slip is detected at the rear wheels.

4) This could be the Tesla pedestrian alert sound that is required by manufacturers for all EV built after August 2020. Must be active at speeds up to 30 KPH. The Tesla pedestrian alert sound is different for backing up that for driving forward. You can search Youtube for example videos.

Reactions: cstork and HotIce
1) The Spotify Premium in my Model Y seems to frequently drop playlists. The missing playlists show up on the Spotify phone app. Usually the most recently accessed playlist on the phone app will sync with the Model Y the next time I enter the vehicle.

2) Not sure; last summer the passenger air vent would definitely turn off with no one in the Model Y's front passenger seat. Do you have anything on the seat that could trigger the vent to be active?

3) Mostly rear wheel drive biased. The Model Y will engage the front motor under heavy acceleration or if wheel slip is detected at the rear wheels.

4) This could be the Tesla pedestrian alert sound that is required by manufacturers for all EV built after August 2020. Must be active at speeds up to 30 KPH. The Tesla pedestrian alert sound is different for backing up that for driving forward. You can search Youtube for example videos.

Thank you! I hope Tesla fixes the Spotify issue in a future update. It's annoying because it sync'd once and then it didn't.

I don't have anything on the seat to trigger the AC to stay on. I have an appointment on Thursday and I'm making a list of things to tell them about. I don't think the bassy boom boom is the iPedestrian alert because it happens even when the car is parked and I'm just sitting in the car. I have an appointment on Thursday, so I'm going to bring all of this to their attention.

Follow up: The phone app doesn't say 100% charge anymore. It says 99%. Did I already have a one percent degradation already after a week? I'm in MD so the weather is a bit chilly. Maybe that's having an effect?

Last edited:
Thank you! I hope Tesla fixes the Spotify issue in a future update. It's annoying because it sync'd once and then it didn't.

I don't have anything on the seat to trigger the AC to stay on. I have an appointment on Thursday and I'm making a list of things to tell them about. I don't think the bassy boom boom is the iPedestrian alert because it happens even when the car is parked and I'm just sitting in the car. I have an appointment on Thursday, so I'm going to bring all of this to their attention.

Follow up: The phone app doesn't say 100% charge anymore. It says 99%. Did I already have a one percent degradation already after a week? I'm in MD so the weather is a bit chilly. Maybe that's having an effect?
You probably shouldn't charge to 100% enough to make this comparison. Set your max to 80% for day to day use.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy

It is ok to charge to 100% if you are about to take a trip (within perhaps 8 hours) but otherwise don't charge above 90%. The worst thing as far as the health of the battery pack is to charge to 100% in warm or hot weather and leave the battery fully charged for a prolonged period of time.

Flip the Tesla Display setting for the battery indicator from estimated range to % state of charge (SOC). The estimated range is just that, an estimate and will never reflect the actual range. The % of SOC is a better indicator. Most Tesla owners who are interested in maximizing the life of the battery (so the capacity of the battery and the effective range does not excessively degrade) will only charge to 70% or 80% on a regular or daily basis. The optimum state of charge would be 50% but no one could live with an EV that had to always be at 50% SOC so most will charge when the battery is at or below 20% or 30% and not regularly charge above 80% as there is usually no need to charge above 80%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HotIce
It is ok to charge to 100% if you are about to take a trip (within perhaps 8 hours) but otherwise don't charge above 90%. The worst thing as far as the health of the battery pack is to charge to 100% in warm or hot weather and leave the battery fully charged for a prolonged period of time.

Flip the Tesla Display setting for the battery indicator from estimated range to % state of charge (SOC). The estimated range is just that, an estimate and will never reflect the actual range. The % of SOC is a better indicator. Most Tesla owners who are interested in maximizing the life of the battery (so the capacity of the battery and the effective range does not excessively degrade) will only charge to 70% or 80% on a regular or daily basis. The optimum state of charge would be 50% but no one could live with an EV that had to always be at 50% SOC so most will charge when the battery is at or below 20% or 30% and not regularly charge above 80% as there is usually no need to charge above 80%.
Even then, I would go 95% unless you CANNOT make it to the next Supercharger. The car doesn't drive the same in the 95-100% range

Reactions: psuKinger
The Spotify app has already been significantly improved since I picked up my Y at the end of June, should continue to improve. The other day I was playing a song on my Google Nest Hub in the kitchen, went upstairs and my cell phone in my pocket picked up the same song, then I went downstairs and got into the car and the car continued the song, seamlessly without skipping a beat. Impressive and a bit creepy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had my max charging set to 85% but it looks like I need to lower it to 80%. Also, I have the Tesla home charger and I just leave it plugged in when the car is sitting in the garage. I appreciate the knowledge and the help. :)

I'm wondering what this is too.

Glad to know I'm not alone. Almost sounds like someone is playing a drum.

I believe the passenger vent turns off when nobody is there although I haven't reached over to feel.

Do you have the temperature on sync?

I do have the temperature on sync but even with nobody on the seat, the display shows airflow. Not sure if it's a new update thing. Adding it to the list of things for them to look at on Thursday. :)

I have a couple questions that I was hoping this community could help clarify. I have a 2021 Model Y that I picked up on Dec. 23rd.

1. My Spotify playlists aren't syncing 100%. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

2. Shouldn't the passenger side vents turn off when there isn't a passenger on sitting in the seat? Mine stays on. On the Model Y I test drove, if nobody was sitting in the passenger seat, the vents weren't giving out any air.

3. Does anyone know the torque split of the AWD system? Does it primarily send torque to the front or back under regular conditions?

I checked my passenger side today and I do not have air coming out of the vents when nobody is sitting there. As mentioned my sides are not synced. I also do not have the temperature set to auto. I am on manual.

Reactions: HotIce