Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week in - A couple questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did not but I will absolutely ask on Thursday when I drop the car off. It's nice to know they are aware.

Thanks please let us know! I first noticed it when I opened my car door in the garage and it would go "boom boom" - but wasn't loud - just deep bass. Seems to happen every time opening the door but I don't notice it as much when the car is outside.

Follow up: The phone app doesn't say 100% charge anymore. It says 99%. Did I already have a one percent degradation already after a week? I'm in MD so the weather is a bit chilly. Maybe that's having an effect?

First you should probably not charge to 100% all the time. Second, this is rounding error, the car does not know to 3 decimal places the exact charge in the battery.

Thanks please let us know! I first noticed it when I opened my car door in the garage and it would go "boom boom" - but wasn't loud - just deep bass. Seems to happen every time opening the door but I don't notice it as much when the car is outside.

Yeah, it is more noticeable inside than outside and it happens when I'm sitting in the car. I will keep you updated!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had my max charging set to 85% but it looks like I need to lower it to 80%. Also, I have the Tesla home charger and I just leave it plugged in when the car is sitting in the garage. I appreciate the knowledge and the help. :)

I charge to 85%, the benefit of dropping that to 80% is minimal, the law of diminishing returns. And my understanding is that it needs to be charged to 90% periodically to allow the BMS to balance the cells. Tesla recommends 90% for daily charging, and the biggest improvement in battery longevity is dropping from 100 to 90%. VW and Polestar 2 used to say 80% max for daily charging on their display, now their display says 90% for daily charging so I feel comfortable at 85%.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I’m a new MY owner and received the car around the same time as the OP . Figured I’d drop my question here as opposed to creating a separate thread.

What ODB2 adapter is available for the 2021 MY? I think the GPS Tracking America “HRN-CT20T11” (HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking) should still work but would love confirmation or understand if there are any other options. Unfortunately, I’m unable to find anything definitive for the 2021 version.

I’m a new MY owner and received the car around the same time as the OP . Figured I’d drop my question here as opposed to creating a separate thread.

What ODB2 adapter is available for the 2021 MY? I think the GPS Tracking America “HRN-CT20T11” (HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking) should still work but would love confirmation or understand if there are any other options. Unfortunately, I’m unable to find anything definitive for the 2021 version.
Contact @coconutboy84 and find out what they're using on the 2021. Most likely the 2020 is the same.

Are you Android or iOS?

RE passenger air vent - Is it a AC vs heat thing?

I would assume in winter, there is some heat blowing out of the passenger side to keep the window clear. So maybe it would slow down but not shut off? Whereas in the summer, you can 100% shut off the passenger vent.

thanks! I’ll send a PM. I’m IOS but have some androids laying around here somewhere. Happy to use whatever works/makes sense!
There are two types of OBD/Bluetooth adapters people are using, one works with the Android, the other is for iOS. This is one that's known to work with our cars and iOS: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...=1&keywords=obdlink+mx+&qid=1610111239&sr=8-2

scan my tesla
Note, the app is called 'Scan My T3sla' in the Apple store and 'Scan My Tesla' in the Play store.

I have a couple questions that I was hoping this community could help clarify. I have a 2021 Model Y that I picked up on Dec. 23rd.

1. My Spotify playlists aren't syncing 100%. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

2. Shouldn't the passenger side vents turn off when there isn't a passenger on sitting in the seat? Mine stays on. On the Model Y I test drove, if nobody was sitting in the passenger seat, the vents weren't giving out any air.

3. Does anyone know the torque split of the AWD system? Does it primarily send torque to the front or back under regular conditions?

4.) Does anyone know what that deep bass banging is? I hear a deep bass 'boom boom'. I've noticed it when the car is idle or when I'm backing up. This isn't the 'pop' that you hear when the car is super charging.

I know you already got a lot of responses, but my $0.02 here:

1. As others have noted, the spotify "integration" leaves a lot to be desired... I picked up a spotify sub to try it purely because I wanted a music streaming service "integrated" into my new Model Y, and the streaming subscriptions I already have (plural; I have active subscriptions to Tidal, Qobuz, and Youtube Music, and also and a lifetime SiriusXM streaming sub, none of which are supported (yet) in Tesla's infotainment) aren't supported/integrated into Tesla. And while Spotify is a pretty cool service with a nice native UI and I can see the appeal, it didn't work very well (for me) in the Tesla... and I obviously didn't need another music service outside of the Tesla, so I cancelled it...

Some additional services are rumored to be getting "integrated," possibly within the next couple firmware updates (Tidal, Apple, Amazon, and Pandora, as the rumor goes...). Here's to hoping they "integrate" better than Spotify did/does...

2. Because it's winter, "auto" is a popular setting. And when you're in "auto" it is often running the window defrost and/or floor WITH the panel vents (and it's not recirculating, which is getting the moist air out)... in my experience, when the windshield or the floor is blowing, BOTH vents run, irregardless of whether someone is in the passenger seat. If you get out of "auto" and manually control the air, and just put the panel vents on, I think you'll see that the passenger side vent only operates if someone is sitting in it.

I'm personally a big fan of manual control during the warm summer months, and leaving it in "auto" during the winter.

3. Dunno. Interested to see what others say...

4. IMy best guess is it's probably the "slow EV sounds" that are supposed to be mandated? But I'm not sure... I took delivery on my MY in July, and I'm fairly certain mine doesn't make ANY sounds (that I can hear, at least) when I'm driving slowly...

Last edited:
3. Dunno. Interested to see what others say...

here's the graph on a 30 minute drive showing when the front and rear motors were active, based upon the accelerator pedal (%). As you can see, the front motors activated 15 times. Of the 15, 12 were *barely* active, producing only 5 lb-ft of torque. The other 3 times were accelerating from a complete stop, accelerator percentage shown as 50%, 50%, and 40%.

The car is RWD in most driving conditions (cruising, light acceleration) and the front motor kicks in briefly under some acceleration but only a few kW of power. On My 30 minute drive and based upon the graph below, the front motors were active for about a total of 20 seconds, or 1.6% of the drive. Note, I was driving efficiently since I had my dog in the back and road conditions weren't ideal, but it still shows the car being RWD biased.
upload_2021-1-8_9-4-15.png

Hi All,

I bought the MX+ for my 2020 MYP and the scan my Tesla app so I can monitor when I have full power for my unicorn 1/4 mile runs to get the best scenario possible but where to buy the Y Adapter to connect to the ODB behind the rear vent?

Keep in mind I already have the seat massager tied in there so I need the most flexible Y cable possible please.

Hi All,

I bought the MX+ for my 2020 MYP and the scan my Tesla app so I can monitor when I have full power for my unicorn 1/4 mile runs to get the best scenario possible but where to buy the Y Adapter to connect to the ODB behind the rear vent?

Keep in mind I already have the seat massager tied in there so I need the most flexible Y cable possible please.

I bought my cable from GPS Tracking America and it's not very flexible, not even enough room to hide the MX+ inside the plastic panel. I don't know if there are any other options.

There are two types of OBD/Bluetooth adapters people are using, one works with the Android, the other is for iOS. This is one that's known to work with our cars and iOS: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Grade-Diagnostic-Performance/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=obdlink+mx+&qid=1610111239&sr=8-2

scan my tesla
Note, the app is called 'Scan My T3sla' in the Apple store and 'Scan My Tesla' in the Play store.

I’ve been planning on buying the MX+, just having a tough time understanding if the Y adapter I linked earlier (or the Amazon one noted in previous post) will work with 2021 MY. Are there any other spots on the car where the ODB adapter can be connected?

I bought the Amazon harness that was posted here and besides it being unfinished to me it works flawlessly.

keep in mind I already has one of these installed for my seat massagers so it made it much harder to fit both behind the panel.

what I did was I kept playing with different angles to get it all tucked in without pinching or breaking any pins.

men’s result is the odb2 part sticks out the bottom with the MX+ plugged facing down and I put the rough side of Velcro on the plug so it sticks to the Tesla carpet to keep it all in place and look decent with easy access.

now my seat massagers and OB2 port is working but now I’m thinking that the 2 empty harness that came with the seat massagers were Can High and Low wires that I could’ve used instead.

Not sure how I can post a pic of all of this but if you check my radar hardwire video you can see how I got it all to fit neatly at 4:25 in this video.

now the fun stuff starts with this access point. The TesLAX and Scan My Tesla app is very useful and I plan to use my iPad in a air vent holder where a cluster would go to monitor it all.

Reactions: pt19713