Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week of ownership, opinion. M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I beg to differ. The only guessing that it does is to determine the usable battery capacity of the battery. It then uses a ratio based upon the EPA rating (on our LR AWD, the ratio use to equate to approximately 225Wh/mile) of the car to determine the range. The guessing of the usable battery capacity of the car, as well as determining the kWh of the battery it also takes into account the temperature, much in the same way that max indicated SoC % of of a cold battery will be less that when at normal working range, ie max charge may show as 99% rather than 100%. Certainly nothing to do with driving style, wind, hills etc.

The figure that takes driving style etc into account, is the estimated range, but this is not visible in the app or main battery display (you can see it in TeslaFi etc), but is taken into account in the trip graphs. Range in app?
The GoM was my experience with the Leaf. I am only going to pick up my Tesla on Tuesday but doesn’t the Tesla have a ‘estimated range’ display? I thought you can switch between miles and percentage. The percentage is of course not a guess but the estimated range always will be (even though it might be a very educated guess)

The GoM was my experience with the Leaf. I am only going to pick up my Tesla on Tuesday but doesn’t the Tesla have a ‘estimated range’ display? I thought you can switch between miles and percentage. The percentage is of course not a guess but the estimated range always will be (even though it might be a very educated guess)

Rest assured, the good old GoM is alive and well on the Tesla energy screen! It seems to work much the same as the GoM on other EVs. The oddity is the peculiar, and singularly useless, IMHO, "range" display at the top right of the driving display. For some reason known only to Tesla, this is based on the car's rated EPA mythical range, together with the BMS-assessed usable battery SoC. The EPA bit is fixed, the estimated SoC bit obviously varies a fair bit. Most owners ignore the default "range" and change that display area to show % SoC, a far more meaningful measurement, as it works much like a fuel gauge.

Reactions: Acps110
Your range will be lower at this time of year because it's cold. We got ours in October and it was the same. However, as we get into spring and the temperature increases, you will see the range doing the same. Those days when it's 25 degrees + the range will probably exceed the ratings if driven gently. This is just part and parcel of electric cars. Also - multiple short journeys gives you a lower range than longer trips, as it costs a lot of electrons to warm everything up. I always find the first 10% drops of much quicker than the rest.

Reactions: david1701
Your range will be lower at this time of year because it's cold. We got ours in October and it was the same. However, as we get into spring and the temperature increases, you will see the range doing the same. Those days when it's 25 degrees + the range will probably exceed the ratings if driven gently. This is just part and parcel of electric cars. Also - multiple short journeys gives you a lower range than longer trips, as it costs a lot of electrons to warm everything up. I always find the first 10% drops of much quicker than the rest.

it’s much the same effect with Petrol n diesel vehicle’s, you use up more fuel in winter getting windows clear, I’ve not received my V5 back from DVLA yet to get the Tesla app going, can it pre warm the battery etc from the mains before disconnecting to a set time ?

it’s much the same effect with Petrol n diesel vehicle’s, you use up more fuel in winter getting windows clear, I’ve not received my V5 back from DVLA yet to get the Tesla app going, can it pre warm the battery etc from the mains before disconnecting to a set time ?

I proved, years ago, that petrol car fuel consumption increases by about 20% in winter. It's not just the heater, but also the impact of air density, surprisingly enough. Colder air is more dense, and denser air means more aerodynamic drag, and drag saps power more than anything else. Air at 5°C is about 7% more dense than air at 25°C, and that translates to a 7% increase in aerodynamic drag, and hence to an increase in fuel consumption.

Reactions: Kenners
Probably been said before but for Spotify track selection using voice command I get a 100% success rate by requesting “play” artists’ name followed by track name. Doing it it in reverse often goes nowhere.
What irritates me about this is if you try and play and album that has a title track. Spotify will only play the track not the album. Not even if you spell it out “play the album x by y” it still only plays the track

It's a shame you can't customise the right scroller on the steering wheel (like I believe you can on the Model S?), I only really touch the screen whilst driving to adjust the temperature but I still find it takes a bit of concentration to get my fat fingers to hit the arrows.

Reactions: Neilio
It's a shame you can't customise the right scroller on the steering wheel (like I believe you can on the Model S?), I only really touch the screen whilst driving to adjust the temperature but I still find it takes a bit of concentration to get my fat fingers to hit the arrows.
Just hit the steering wheel button and say "set temperature to twenty one degrees" - seems to be one of the voice commands that works consistently well.

You can also "Switch on/off driver seat heat" with voice

Or a handy one if you've got a menu open is "Show map" - which takes you back to the main map screen.

A full list of these would be useful though.

Reactions: david1701
Hi all, so I am one week into ownership and 680 miles covered. (Mine is a company lease vehicle.) If any one is interested to read I have summarised what I think so far.

Good
Excellent seat comfort, my previous BMW3 series would benefit from these seats.
Performance is brilliant, gods know what the Performance must be like to drive !
Minimalist interior is nice, and I particularly like the dark view ahead of the driver at night.
Supercharger (Northampton) I used brilliantly quick
Amazing sound quality for a standard fit audio system
Climate control is very accurate and the preheat function very good, and quick.
Nice bright head lights with good spread.
Regenerative braking excellent, I hardly use the brake pedal at all.
Boot a great size, probably will only fill it once a year though !
Interior storage nice, the wireless charging phone pad is great, and works with my 12 ProMax in a case.
Charging is painless and the scheduled departure setting is good to use.
Using a phone as a key, so effectively a completely keyless experience.
Tesla supercharger routing on the sat nav really good, especially the calculation of charge required to get home.

Not So Good
Car delivered with faulty washer jets, I can get enough water onto the screen to wash, just.
Standard left camera fault.
Range is nowhere near as close to the published rates as I was expecting.( Early days obviously)
Infotainment screen is not great to use on the move, in my opinion. Swiping the screen to get to radio channels/phone is distracting.
Sat Nav, almost no POI, will not save my home address, and when I select a food/drink from the menu, it tells me the closest place is in Dublin :) (I live in the Midlands of the UK)
Paint peeling of NS sill already.
Auto main beam is completely useless, does not recognise brake lights, and mostly ignores oncoming traffic, and switches on when driving under street lights.
Cruise control, I know this is BETA but it is extremely nervy, braking even if a vehicle on an inside lane nears the dividing white line.
Panel gaps and alignment !

Summary
Great car with flaws, but I almost feel that the flaws are part of what TESLA is about. The performance is bonkers and a long drive is extremely comfortable, possible one of if not the most comfortable cars I have driven.

Thanks for reading, if you did :)

Great overview. Agree with everything you said. Very surprised on the lack of published range, but electric cars drain faster since everything (radio, heat, etc.) drain the range faster then a gas car. I would say once Tesla gets to a 400 mile range, then they will be relatively equal (range-wise) to most gas-based cars. I have a 325 range and I usually get about - 225-240 range...but I also drive faster than most.

Reactions: andylaight