Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week old M3 and scratched the alloys...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could cry... My husband has managed to catch the edge of one of the alloys, basically the only part not covered by the aero. Does anyone know how much it would be to repair the damage?

There's very little visible on the edge, as you say. I would sand it flat and use touch-up brush ... you'll never see it unless it was really bad. Seems hardly worth a full wheel refurb but if it's going to play on your mind Google your local repair people ... there's loads ... and it's not really that expensive.

Reactions: KaraGUK
Ford "Dark Shadow Gray CX" is a perfect match I am told. It comes in a tiny nail varnish type container with its own brush. I bought some but haven't used it yet.

(Oh, BTW I also shed a tear when caused the first minor damage to my M3 ... it always happens with a new car.)

If a DIY repair doesn't look as if it will do the job, the mobile chip repair people can usually do a really professional job for less than the cost of taking the wheel in to one of the refurbishment places, I think. I had some minor scuffs done by one of these companies before I traded in my old car, and was very impressed with their work. The repair was completely invisible, even when I knew where to look. I know they do alloy wheel repairs, as I friend had a kurbed alloy done by the same chap that did my old car (and my wife's car).

I could cry... My husband has managed to catch the edge of one of the alloys, basically the only part not covered by the aero. Does anyone know how much it would be to repair the damage?

My passenger side rear wheel seems to be the only one I have scratched and more than once as well! Going to try the paint recommended above.

especially if it happens again...

Its going to happen again.

Basically there is zero protection offered by the tyre to stop the rim getting damaged. You can even lay the wheel flat on the ground and the rim will likely touch the ground.

Normally a tyre is more bulbous, so even if the tyre flexes when it hits a hard object, its going to hit first and likely deflect before rim is hit. This won't happen with a Tesla rim/tyre combination. The rim is right in the firing line so even gently rubbing against a curb that is taller than the tyre sidewall, the rim is going to get scraped.

Its going to happen again.

Basically there is zero protection offered by the tyre to stop the rim getting damaged. You can even lay the wheel flat on the ground and the rim will likely touch the ground.

Normally a tyre is more bulbous, so even if the tyre flexes when it hits a hard object, its going to hit first and likely deflect before rim is hit. This won't happen with a Tesla rim/tyre combination. The rim is right in the firing line so even gently rubbing against a curb that is taller than the tyre sidewall, the rim is going to get scraped.

Years ago the tyres on a car I owned had moulded-in rubber ridges that stuck out to act as rim protectors (or I assume that's what they were for). Seemed a really good idea, as the tyre acted as a buffer to prevent rim damage at low speeds. I've not seen tyres like this for years, which seems a shame, as they seemed a good idea.

Years ago the tyres on a car I owned had moulded-in rubber ridges that stuck out to act as rim protectors (or I assume that's what they were for). Seemed a really good idea, as the tyre acted as a buffer to prevent rim damage at low speeds. I've not seen tyres like this for years, which seems a shame, as they seemed a good idea.

Agreed. To me the tyres on the Tesla look a bit stretched for the width of the rim maybe an 8 inch rather than 8.5 inch rim (or 245 width tyre) would allow more chance of some sidewall sticking out beyond the rim. There's no doubt this could be improved.

No, not at all cheap for what they are! There seem to be a few similar products around, but I can't help thinking that there has to be a neater way to do this; the joint looks a bit unsightly.

I wonder if anyone makes a bond-on hard rubber "bumper" that could be fixed to the tyre sidewall just outside where the rim seats? Sort of an add-on that replicates the rubber bit that stuck out on those tyres I had years ago.

I did it about a month in. What a terrible feeling. Fortunately, after reading that it has happened to so many others, the Kübler-Ross cycle passed quickly.

I did some light sanding and used the same touch-up paint everybody else seems to use, and the repair was acceptable. Hasn't happened again since.
Capture.JPG

He may take some comfort in knowing he is not alone! He has been driving for years and never done this before. We will have a go at the DIY fix and hope that it doesn't happen again too soon. Thanks as always for your input!

91157896-1296-4F66-99DB-BBB9BB4F6A0C.jpeg
Yeah welcome to the club. There is something about this car, it must be wider than it seems. I’m continually rashing the passenger side rims, front and back. I’m resigned to getting a set of rim guards when I need new tires.

I can’t take credit for this but I’m into retro :)