Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week old M3 and scratched the alloys...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wondered if these things might work: AlloyGator Alloy Wheel Protection - Protect Your Rims From Scratches

They don't look to bad, and if they tended to prevent minor scuffs they might be worth investing in.

Before taking delivery, I was sitting in a car part next to a Model S fitted with some of them o one of the similar devices. In my opinion they were a liability. They had obviously done their job but had deformed/split to the point that there was a loose part that if any longer they would be taking chunks out of the wheel arch.

When taking car to get PPF, I got into a conversation with them regarding rim rash and these bands were mentioned. The issue that I witnessed on the Model S was mentioned as being common and that they can damage the bodywork after an impact. The PPF installer implied that they could be improved particularly on how they behave after impact. It sounds like, once impact occurs, most need wholly replacing and, since they are installed by having to deflate the tyre, this is not as easy as just pulling the item off. He mentioned some possibly being multi part, so only part needs to be replaced.

Not cheap for a sacrificial protector. They sound to be one hit wonders...

My approach is learn to fix myself and touch up when wheels are off for the season.

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Is it not possible through an update to use one of the side cameras to aid parking?

The mirrors dip on reverse. But its not just a parking in reverse issue - I think rear camera works well and cover that. I probably do not use my mirrors quite as much as I should but camera view is so good and rear view from car so bad.

I caught passenger rear clipping a curb pulling out from a side road. Wife caught front passenger moving forward into a long space.

When in reverse, the white lines on rear view camera do a pretty decent job of highlighting where the wheels are going to go. May be a fraction over cautious. Obviously won’t see down side of car but still give good indication of where wheels are are in relation to curve.

Just as well I didn't give my hubby a hard time when he did it...

No, you just made the knowledge of his misdemeanour available to the entire internet! It's your turn to suffer now (anyway I bet he's feeling a whole lot better as a result)! ... I can't talk .. I backed the car into the garage door within days of delivery ... despite camera, multiple beeps etc