Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week old today, and then backed into....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. I feel for you. I took possession a week ago, too, and have been driving like a grandmother on her way to church on Sunday all week (except, well, for launches...), and parking in the hinterlands of every lot. I just want to get through a least a few weeks before My Model S loses its virginity.

at least you got hit by someone honorable.

bummer, but your car will be fixed, and will be as good as new. Just more delayed gratification....

OP Ouch, I feel you pain.

I have found over the years that actually parking in an empty area is not always a good idea.
Like you I have found that whenever you return to your car there is always somebody who just has to park in the space next to you, even when there are tons of other spaces.

My theory goes like this

Not very good drivers like to park in empty areas as manoevering is easier for them, however they need to park next to another car as it helps them line their car up in a space
So empty parking lot areas are not necesarily the best place to be.

Instead of coming out of Costco and finding that dent, imagine instead you reached into your pocket for your key and felt a lump you never noticed before. So you go to the doctor only to find out it's cancer and you have six months to live -- and only 6 months to drive your new, undented Tesla (although that's the least of your worries).

Then I magically appear and tell you that I can change that lump to a dent in your new Tesla. You're skeptical but what the heck, you have nothing to lose, and who cares about a dent, so you take me up on my offer. I wave my magic wand and immediately the lump is gone and the dent appears. So you are in the exact same situation you are in now, but you feel great -- really, really happy with a new lease on life. Soon your car will be like new again when the dent is repaired and you have your whole life ahead of you to enjoy the car.

There, now I hope I made you feel better... ;)

(But it does suck.)
As a physician, this sure resonates with me and is a great reminder to us all that we have put it into perspective. It still sucks for the OP and others to have their brand new car damaged like this, but it isn't the end of the world. I will look at the door ding that occurred when my car was just 2 weeks old completely different now. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:

man sorry to hear. As a fellow resident of Dallas I can attest to how terrible drivers are here.

I had my roadster for a month and some Cayenne decided to merge into me and take out my whole drivers side.

hope you get her back quick.

about speedshield. Love Trey. Been with him since he was wrapping out of an airport hanger. Has wrapped my GT-R 4 different colors so far now!

Your damage looks minimal, it'll get fixed and be good as new.

I understand your feelings. Once my parked, unoccupied car was backed in a restaurant parking lot. Years later, I had a new car and was rear ended one week to the day after delivery while I was sitting at a red light (fortunately, a cop witnessed that one).

Let's see... just think, now you've got the first dent in... you're good.

I've reached the point where the car is simply a utility now. I'll get the body work done at some point. :)
That's how I feel about my pickup. It has a couple of golf ball dents in it (I live on a course and park the truck outside - no room in the garage), a slightly displaced front bumper from a deer strike (ran out in front of me in a snowstorm while pulling a 6000lb trailer - no much choice but keep things going straight), and what I call the "gut dent". I stood on the wet drivers rear tire and leaned over to get something out of the bed. My foot slipped off the wet tire, and I landed gut-to-fender, putting a 2" dent in it.

I could call the dent repair wizard guys, but every time I look at it, I think "it's a truck". I rarely wash it, the bed's full of dirt, leaves, etc.

Oh man, I totally feel for you. My car was less than a week old, and a lady in a huge truck pulls in to the parking place next to me and swings her door right into the side of my car . . . while I am sitting in it! She looks up at me, and then realizes she was caught and then becomes all apologetic. I about had a stroke. No dents, but scraped paint on my one week old brand new dream car. It's now wrapped from top-to-bottom and end-to-end. Just makes me feel better.
What is wrong with people? If I have to park the truck next to another car, I wrap my fingers around the door edge as I open it. Makes it easy to know if I've made contact, prevents dents, and encourages me to be careful and open the door slowly. :wink:

I'm surprised it happened in a costco parking lot. The parking spots are extra wide and the driving lanes are wider then normal as well. Costco is the one and only place I'm comfortable parking amongst other cars because of the wide stalls. Sorry to hear about your experience but at least he left a note. You'll get your baby back soon enough

Thank you all for the condolences! It really does help because I know you all know how it would feel!

And you are right, I have been trying to keep this in perspective. I have a great life, two beautiful and healthy children, a beautiful and loving wife and a great business. So all in all this is just a speed bump, albeit an inconvenienced one. It will probably take 2-3 trips to Dallas, each an hour and a half drive one way. I got up early this morning to get an estimate at a Tesla approved body shop. I type this sitting at a Walgreen's getting a DC charge.

I will be interested to see what the estimate comes back at.

I will keep you updated of the progress.

Instead of coming out of Costco and finding that dent, imagine instead you reached into your pocket for your key and felt a lump you never noticed before. So you go to the doctor only to find out it's cancer and you have six months to live -- and only 6 months to drive your new, undented Tesla (although that's the least of your worries).

Then I magically appear and tell you that I can change that lump to a dent in your new Tesla. You're skeptical but what the heck, you have nothing to lose, and who cares about a dent, so you take me up on my offer. I wave my magic wand and immediately the lump is gone and the dent appears. So you are in the exact same situation you are in now, but you feel great -- really, really happy with a new lease on life. Soon your car will be like new again when the dent is repaired and you have your whole life ahead of you to enjoy the car.

There, now I hope I made you feel better... ;)

(But it does suck.)

A clever dose of perspective. It does suck, to be sure, but I feel the OP's pain.

I'm surprised it happened in a costco parking lot. The parking spots are extra wide and the driving lanes are wider then normal as well. Costco is the one and only place I'm comfortable parking amongst other cars because of the wide stalls. Sorry to hear about your experience but at least he left a note. You'll get your baby back soon enough 

Not all Costcos are created equal. I have two Costcos within a 15 mile radius of my home in San Diego, and the newer one is as you describe; wide stalls and lanes, and reasonably level with a lot of cart bays to encourage shoppers to "do the right thing" with their empty carts. The frequency of cart bays is not 100% effective; there are still lazy SoBs who won't walk 50 feet to "do the right thing", so I park in the hinter region of the lot on the high side of what grade there is. I literally avoid the other older Costco, even though it's significantly closer to my home, simply because of the parking lot situation.

Really hurt to see the pics. Sorry, JMG. It'll be good as new again soon.

Thanks to Google Shopping Express, haven't had to visit Costco in ages. It used to be one of my least favorite chores (if there is such a thing as a favorite chore). The money saved in buying toilet paper and kitchen towels in bulk used to be more than offset by picking up ancillary rubbish that'd end up gathering dust in the garage.

Ugh sorry to see what happened there. I've had mine for a month now, and I'm always concerned wherever I park.

Not all Costcos are created equal. I have two Costcos within a 15 mile radius of my home in San Diego, and the newer one is as you describe; wide stalls and lanes, and reasonably level with a lot of cart bays to encourage shoppers to "do the right thing" with their empty carts.

That's very true. The closest Costco to me has stalls wide enough that you can swing your doors wide open and not hit the cars next to you. I've also been to the one in South San Francisco, where the spaces seem so tight that I probably can't park and open the door wide enough to get out!

You are lucky that the person who did this left a note and also you have a witness.

Mine was about 2 months old and I left the car in Verizon wireless store parking and when I returned it had scratches and tail light broken.

The person who did the damage to my car did not leave a note nor there was a witness.

The damage did not seem that bad but still the total cost to repair was $4000 and I paid only $250 my deductible.

Mine was repaired at Trade Secret (Plano) and it looks like new now.

First thing I did after the accident is get a front and rear dash cam installed.

You are lucky that the person who did this left a note and also you have a witness.

Mine was about 2 months old and I left the car in Verizon wireless store parking and when I returned it had scratches and tail light broken.

The person who did the damage to my car did not leave a note nor there was a witness.

The damage did not seem that bad but still the total cost to repair was $4000 and I paid only $250 my deductible.

Mine was repaired at Trade Secret (Plano) and it looks like new now.

First thing I did after the accident is get a front and rear dash cam installed.

That's the exact place I went this morning, good to hear a positive experience. $10k estimate and it's going to be higher. He's going to have to replace the bumper and quarter panel, then repaint the rear door and trunk. Replace the chrome accent around the windows and the rear small window. So all of that, then I'll need to rewrap the door and bumper. Then re-cquartz the quarter panel and trunk and retint the last window.

By the time it's all said and done, with a rental, I bet it'll be pushing $15k.

That's the exact place I went this morning, good to hear a positive experience. $10k estimate and it's going to be higher. He's going to have to replace the bumper and quarter panel, then repaint the rear door and trunk. Replace the chrome accent around the windows and the rear small window. So all of that, then I'll need to rewrap the door and bumper. Then re-cquartz the quarter panel and trunk and retint the last window.

By the time it's all said and done, with a rental, I bet it'll be pushing $15k.

I understand what you are going through...Did you talk to Randy at Trade Secret? I am really happy with Trade Secret.

Did you get dash cams installed?

I don't know what people think....MS cars have reputation of getting hit by other cars..

As a physician, this sure resonates with me and is a great reminder to us all that we have put it into perspective. It still sucks for the OP and others to have their brand new car damaged like this, but it isn't the end of the world. I will look at the door ding that occurred when my car was just 2 weeks old completely different now. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:

I'm not sure if you have "Dent King" or a similar service where you live, but they repaired a door ding in mine for under $150 while I waited -- I couldn't believe how well it worked and I can't see it anymore at all. There was no paint damage though, just a small ding. This is what they do...

Paintless Dent Removal in Vancouver and Kelowna - Dent King

I don't know what people think....MS cars have reputation of getting hit by other cars..

In a way, the size of the MS is a bit of a problem. It's long and wide; also, has pronounced "hips", i.e. the lower part of the body and bumper are wider than what one might see in their rear view mirrors of the top half of the car. So, unless they have backup sensors to alert them, it's conceivable that they might think that there's enough room there. I kinda' have grown conscious of this myself when backing our other car into the garage alongside the MS.