Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Anniversary Thoughts on my Model X75D Configuration--Recommendations for new buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of stress went into my final configuration. When I ordered my car in April of 2017, my wife was pregnant with twins and we were moving into a new place (eventually). Lots was “up in the air.”

I wanted to go with the 100D, but as Nicole made the great point that with twin babies, we were going to be stopping every two hours on road trips for the foreseeable future. From doing tests using various routing apps (https://abetterrouteplanner.com), the biggest advantage of the 100D is that first part of your leg. You can skip a supercharger or two. After that, duration is about the same but the 100D will charge faster in that fatty middle part of the charge.

I also really wanted the white leather(pretend) seats, but I took a peek around the Tesla dealership. Owners with white seats didn’t clean them and they looked awful. There are lots of people that keep their white seats perfect, and they look gorgeous, but I knew with twins I wasn’t going to have time to be fussy with them. Any dirt, crumbs, whatever, is just so obvious with white seats.

So I went with the ‘default’ seats! I went with the 75D. I did go with he Premium Upgrade Package which was pricy at the time (it comes with more ‘stuff’ now). I did not upgraded the stereo. But I do have the self-presenting doors, biodefense mode, etc.. I paid extra for the sub-zero package (it’s now included in the premium package). Went with regular tires, because—range. Upgraded to the red colour. This is so subjective, I won’t even go into it.

A year in, what do I think of my choices?

Default Seats

My best and easiest decision, the ‘default seats.’ These seats are identical in shape, size, and fit as the upgraded seats. They’re incredibly comfortable. I’m not worried about wear-and-tear. They’re actually quite terrific! Not uprading to the premium seats saves you a ton of money, and I prefer the cloth over the premium black seats in both look and comfort. Unless you want a non-black interior, this seems to be the best option of the bunch.

I went with the six-seat configuration. There's no one perfect configuration, and this is so subjective, I couldn't possibly make any recommendations. For us it made sense because the third row meant someone could sit behind the babies on long-trips. I would have loved to have the added storage of the 5 seat config. I don't have the need for 7 seats. The centre console wasn't an option when I ordered, but I love having all that extra space between the second-row seats. The 6 row config looks best, and has the most flexibility. Your results will vary.

75D battery in day-to-day driving.

For normal day-to-day driving this battery size is perfect. For me, it was non-issue for 363 out of 365 days. However, there were a couple of days where I was filled with range anxiety. In the winter, expect to get 2/3rds your normal range. This winter was especially cold where I live. Around the holidays, we had plenty of family to visit. Had the nearby supercharger not been off-line (due it issues with the cold), we’d have been fine. It was out, though, and I had range anxiety for two days straight because we stayed overnight at a relatives house and had no easy way to charge. I would have been in trouble with a 100D battery as well, but there’s definitely more wiggle room. 

I do think, though, that this was early adopter range anxiety. We had limited charging locations in Toronto in the early winter days of 2017. Already, today, there are a lot more superchargers in the area. I would not have had any range anxiety issues with the current Supercharger map. So yes, some growing pains during exceptional times, but I don't expect to hit those again.

MX75D battery for long-distance trips.

For ever four-hours of driving, the 75D battery costs you about 30 minutes extra vs the 100D in charging time. I’ve done trips without kids, and this is the biggest adjustment from my previous ICE cars where I'd only stop when I needed gas. What people say are true, though. It takes you longer to get places, but you arrive relaxed, and refreshed. I do a specific drive a few times a year that took 10 hours in my old ICE car (which included a stop for lunch). It's an 11 hour drive in a MX100D (according to abetterouteplanner), and a 12 hour drive in a MX75D. I feel better after 12 hours of driving because of the rest stops and autopilot taking a lot of the work out of it, but when I want to go home and get home quickly, it's frustrating.

Things take longer. If you don’t leave your trip at 100% charge, this is especially brutal. I did one trip where I stayed on a farm, got almost no milage with a regular 110v plug (it was winter), and limped to the first supercharger just to charge for an hour. It would have been brutal with a 100D, but less-so. Otherwise, though, it’s great. For 300 mile distance trips where you need to make one stop anyway, it’s almost of no consequence. It’s the longer trips that get you.

People that buy Tesla’s tend to drive more (that’s where the costs savings come into play), so for many, the 100D is probably the better choice. For the average driver, though, 75D is perfectly fine. To put differently, if I’d have come into a ton more money tomorrow, I’d keep my 75D. By comparison, the MX 100D added range isn’t significantly more than the 75D. It's 55 more miles. In the winter-time, that's more like 30 miles. Don't get me wrong, it's something, but this is where you need to know yourself. I'm fairly chill. I used to fly planes, and calculate fuel remaining mid-air, and I'd do cross-country flights where running out of fuel meant you crashed the plane. By comparison, driving a 75D in the winter on road trips is easy-peasy.

If I'm traveling for work or fun without the kids, the M3 Long-Distance is the true sweet spot in the Tesla range. It is the only Tesla that will drive similar to ICE cars in long-distance halls. Yes, the range is similar to a Model S 100D, but the charge times are faster because of the smaller battery and efficiency gained from it being a lighter car. Anything short of the M3 LD, you’ll have some delays.

Premium Upgrade Package.

The self-presenting door is the dumbest, funnest, coolest, and most convenient feature of the car (beyond self-driving). The number of times I walk up to the car with coffees in both hands, and the doors open for me seamlessly, is unreal. Is it worth thousands of dollars? No. This was definitely an exuberant spend on my part because the premium package offered so little back in April of 2017. Today, though, the decision is easy because the Premium Upgrade Package includes the better stereo and the cold-weather package, in addition to biodefense mode (which I have used) and the self-presenting door.

My only regret—I wish I had purchased the upgraded speaker package. I didn’t spend any time on this decision, and read comments that the default package is great. I don’t think it is. To each their own, but for my purposes, I’m missing the better beats. Thankfully, if you’re buying a MX today, you don’t need to make that decision. Just get the premium package!

That’s it! It’s a terrific car. I’ve had absolutely no problems with it, never needed to go to the dealership, and I’ve put on about 12,000 miles / 19000km on it so far! No fit-finish issues, no weird 12v battery issue, no issues with the falcon-wing doors. *

* Wait. That's not entirely true. Falcon-wing doors are fantastic with kids. You can get up on the car, and make adjustments to the car seat. They make getting kids in and out so much easier. However, let's be honest, minivan doors are the most convenient doors. You need to pick a parking spot that works with the doors. It's not about cars, though. It's about overhanging trees, and bushes, and street-side garbages, and things like that. A tiny inconvenience, certainly, but worth mentioning. I've never had issues opening the doors inside indoor garages (I park in many of these!), no matter how low the garage seemed. I've never had issues with a car being parked too close where the doors wouldn't open.

Anyway, that's it! You can see some more of my 'stuff' on my YouTube channel I'm slowly growing (again, twins, ahhhh so little time). Happy to answer any questions.

I really like this post... One of my toughest decisions was the interior... When I went to the SC last week, they didn't have any of the textile interiors for me to see, other than the sample piece they could pull off the wall... Didn't really do it justice though... However, they did have a nice Model X in the showroom with the white interior and it looked amazing so I knew that's what I wanted... My boys are 7 and 9 and the only reason we don't have a dog is that I didn't want 3 animals in our house... My biggest concern is the longevity of those seats... As my delivery date gets closer, I'm going to start a thread asking for advice on "kid proofing" my car... I also ordered the PUP, so I'm glad to know that the audio seems to be worth it...

Reactions: P85_DA and Whisky
Nice one and glad you are enjoying the car. We've only had our MX 75D since Feb, but totally loving it! Ours is a 7-seater with PUP, EAP, 20" wheels, premium white/carbon interior, white exterior.

The white seats seem very easy to keep clean, although I have got an issue right now with some very stubborn staining from the underside of a black child seat protector. It seems to have transferred some grey dye onto the white finish and the usual wet wipes and mild leather cleaner failed to shift it. Now waiting on some more industrial cleaning "products" to arrive!

The premium sound system is awesome. It seems to get mixed reviews on the forums, but I have audiophile grade kit at home so know what sounds good, bad and ugly. For a factory car system this is top notch and premium Spotify in UK cars is excellent, although the app is a bit buggy. I wish Tesla would sort that and then it would be perfect.

I paid for EAP, but I wasn't totally convinced I would make much use of it. Well it turns out I was completely wrong there and I'm now using it for roughly 50% of my driving time, basically on any fast multi-lane road and even some other roads. I'm so glad I decided to buy it.

I don't have any range anxiety with the 75D in the UK. Most trips here are under 200 miles and there are plenty of superchargers on the main motorway networks. There are some gaps in more remote places, but not an issue for us. On most days I simply charge to 80% overnight and that easily covers my daily driving with plenty to spare.

Self presenting doors are cool, but no big deal for me. If I could have ordered without them to save money I would have, but I wanted most of the other PUP upgrades so not really much choice.

The HEPA and carbon filters appear to work amazingly well. We live in the countryside where there is nearly always some farming smells around and I simply don't notice them any more while driving. Neither am I suffering from hay fever this year.

If I ordered again, I would possibly switch to the premium black interior as I do still worry about the white seats and the staining on the rear seat has now made that worry a reality. If I can't get it off, then this will be our first and last white interior car! I would have considered the standard interior, except that I don't like the glossy cheap looking trim panels it comes with. I much prefer the faux carbon trim available with the premium interiors. I might also reconsider the exterior colour as I'm getting a bit fed up of cleaning bugs off the front of the car and boy to they stand out on this car without a conventional front grille! But otherwise it looks great in white, with the matching white interior.

• Informative
Reactions: Whisky
would have considered the standard interior, except that I don't like the glossy cheap looking trim panels it comes with. I much prefer the faux carbon trim available with the premium interiors.

Good point! The "standard" seats come with the same trim as the white seats, but with the white seats, you can upgrade to the carbon fibre. I like the dark ash wood decor. I'm a huge fan of the oak decor available with cream, but hate cream, so I could never get what I want either way! Faux carbon looks more at home in the car than any of the wood decors for sure.

Great review! We got word today that our 100D should be scheduled for pick up before the end of June. We went back and forth on battery size but in the end we went with the 100D. Living 400km north of Toronto has a more limited SC network and the extra battery will be useful, especially in our colder winters. Not that we will need it most of the time around home, but for Christmas road trips to Toronto to visit family, I am sure it will be appreciated! We decided to go with the oak - cream interior, which I really like the look of. Hopefully it holds up well to the kids! Although I should be more concerned about the dog...lol

Reactions: P85_DA and Whisky
Great review! We got word today that our 100D should be scheduled for pick up before the end of June. We went back and forth on battery size but in the end we went with the 100D. Living 400km north of Toronto has a more limited SC network and the extra battery will be useful, especially in our colder winters. Not that we will need it most of the time around home, but for Christmas road trips to Toronto to visit family, I am sure it will be appreciated! We decided to go with the oak - cream interior, which I really like the look of. Hopefully it holds up well to the kids! Although I should be more concerned about the dog...lol

I take it back on the cream. In the photos, the new cream interior looks less “cream” and more toward white. Gourgeous combo! You’ll love the car. I picked mine up start of June. It was a few months of getting used to, but eventually you will. And when you come to Toronto, there will be plenty of places to charge so you won’t have any issues.

Yeah, the older an was a bit "goldish" but I really like the cream. Light but not white. Sudbury Superchargers were installed late last year, about 5 minutes up the road from our house, although I can't imagine using them too often. And Parry Sound has a set, which is perfect for us when travelling, as they are almost perfectly halfway between Toronto and Sudbury. We usually stop there for lunch anyways. Then of course, once you get into the GTA they are easy to find. We already have a Chevy Bolt, which is a great commuting EV, but having access to the SC network was a no brainer for us for our main family car.

Yeah, the older an was a bit "goldish" but I really like the cream. Light but not white. Sudbury Superchargers were installed late last year, about 5 minutes up the road from our house, although I can't imagine using them too often. And Parry Sound has a set, which is perfect for us when travelling, as they are almost perfectly halfway between Toronto and Sudbury. We usually stop there for lunch anyways. Then of course, once you get into the GTA they are easy to find. We already have a Chevy Bolt, which is a great commuting EV, but having access to the SC network was a no brainer for us for our main family car.

I did that drive over the winter along with the Souther Ontario Tesla Club! Fun drive. Great for autopilot

Reactions: MiningEng
I have no problem skipping the premium package on my 2018 while I had it with my 2016. I used self present door for a month and stopped using it because it kept bumping into my kid who usually walks in front of me to the car in the garage. It’s also hit the adjacent car many times in angled parking spaces.

Don’t care for premium audio. The standard one is good enough for us. I agreee the decision is easy because they’ve bundled so much stuff in there that I don’t need and it was very easy to decide against it.

Great post, agree with pretty much everything. We are at 18k miles with our Dec 2016 MX. It is a 60d, 6 seater, nonPUP, leather seats. I did add hepa filter myself. Only thoughts I’d add:
- like you said, sliding doors would work fine too but we have not had any issues with FWD. I still think they are super cool though but if this car had sliding doors I would have still bought it
- 60d is enough range in California, I would upgrade it to 75d if they dropped the upgrade price a little more (currently $45) as I’ve had to cut it close 1-2x if something unexpected comes up (like my kid got sick and we had to run out to get medication but we are out camping)
- I just added tint to the top half of the windshield. I wish I did this way sooner
- I’ve had to go to service center 4x for various issues, but it only stays there a day and I get the car back. It’s been worth it overall
- happy with standard audio, first car I haven’t needed to adjust eq
- I use EAP a lot more than I thought I would, almost every day. Amazing for long drives.

I see 100D as diminishing returns over 75D. To get that 50 miles, you pay a lot of money above and beyond a lot of money. The car weighs more, which means it will strain the suspension and wear out the tires faster.

Many people like the 6 seat configuration, but to me that's the easiest box to uncheck. No way am I paying 6 grand for that option. Non-folding seats is another no-go. That's an overpriced option with limited utility in a SUV. Access to the back row is overrated, because most of the time it won't be used.

By picking 75D with 5 or 7 seat config, without Premium Upgrade package, there should be ample savings to afford a premium interior for a premium SUV. If you have a baby or young kids, the (fake) leather would be easier to clean than cloth.

I see 100D as diminishing returns over 75D. To get that 50 miles, you pay a lot of money above and beyond a lot of money. The car weighs more, which means it will strain the suspension and wear out the tires faster.

Many people like the 6 seat configuration, but to me that's the easiest box to uncheck. No way am I paying 6 grand for that option. Non-folding seats is another no-go. That's an overpriced option with limited utility in a SUV. Access to the back row is overrated, because most of the time it won't be used.

By picking 75D with 5 or 7 seat config, without Premium Upgrade package, there should be ample savings to afford a premium interior for a premium SUV. If you have a baby or young kids, the (fake) leather would be easier to clean than cloth.

The 100D weighs like 400lbs more than a 75D, I highly doubt the difference in suspension and tire wear is noticeably significant.

I do agree though the 6 seater is not a good option for me. Its the most expensive, plus you can't fold the second seat. You don't fold the 2nd row seats, the model S actually has more cargo space (with its seats folded) than the model X.

I have textile seats in my model S. they are black, so you don't really notice if they get dirty at all. So I think they actually easier to keep "clean" than fake leather, where anything can transfer.

The 100D weighs like 400lbs more than a 75D, I highly doubt the difference in suspension and tire wear is noticeably significant.

I do agree though the 6 seater is not a good option for me. Its the most expensive, plus you can't fold the second seat. You don't fold the 2nd row seats, the model S actually has more cargo space (with its seats folded) than the model X.

I have textile seats in my model S. they are black, so you don't really notice if they get dirty at all. So I think they actually easier to keep "clean" than fake leather, where anything can transfer.

400 lbs is actually pretty significant considering there are no changes to compensate for that. I have no idea but the air suspension is rated for insert amount of weight and the more weight the closer you are to that limit. Weight is also a factor in your distance, but this is apples and oranges really.

Nice review. We went round and round, back and forth about the seats, PUP, battery configuration, etc., etc. I'm really glad to read your review on the textile seats since that is what we went with. My wife just isn't a big fan of leather, but these seemed like a nice choice with the leather wrap. We weren't able to actually see one (our OA's roommate has a MS with textile seats, but we could never arrange to see it), so it was a leap of faith for us. We will see....we are supposed to take delivery June 22nd. We don't do a lot of road trips, so the 75D made the most sense to us and I am an audio guy, so the PUP was a pretty easy decision to make. Now, off to check out your YouTube videos. Thanks again.

Nice review. We went round and round, back and forth about the seats, PUP, battery configuration, etc., etc. I'm really glad to read your review on the textile seats since that is what we went with. My wife just isn't a big fan of leather, but these seemed like a nice choice with the leather wrap. We weren't able to actually see one (our OA's roommate has a MS with textile seats, but we could never arrange to see it), so it was a leap of faith for us. We will see....we are supposed to take delivery June 22nd. We don't do a lot of road trips, so the 75D made the most sense to us and I am an audio guy, so the PUP was a pretty easy decision to make. Now, off to check out your YouTube videos. Thanks again.

Thanks!

Nice post, ordered a 75d in April 18, scheduled to pick up July 6th. Also chose the textile seats for the same reasons. My friend has a MS and has them. They are much more comfortable than the imitation leather, cooler in summer by far. Got the premium package, 6 seater, and auto pilot 2.5(2)? Whatever....Can't wait, your post makes me feel good about the seat choice. Thanks

One opinion I will add for those future buyers, we drove a 5 seater for a weekend, tool some family members on a drive, they mentioned how the seat buckles protruded up from the seats and they were sitting on them. These people are a bit larger but not that much, but they clearly were sitting on buckles. The six seater buckles sit flush into the seats, no complaints when they sat in the 6 seater

Last edited:
Reactions: Whisky and P85_DA