Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One year from now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 12 months remaining on my i3s lease and am looking ahead to potential long term replacement options. We also have a Model 3 SR+ and a Bolt. I'm thinking my next vehicle needs to be a little more spacious than the i3, have room for three adults, able to accommodate a bike rack on the back, decent ground clearance, etc, but I want it to be electric.

Our Model 3 has been great. Had it for a year so far and we've had no issues with it. Fit and finish are fine, just a very slight misalignment with the frunk lid. No major complaints, and autopilot (sans FSD) will *really* spoil you. It makes my active cruise control on the i3 seem like old timey tech.

So the MY is on my radar, along with the VW ID4, Mustang Mach-E, and maybe RAV4-Prime (not totally EV, but enough to cover my typical daily range).

Of course, reading through this forum and checking ratings from JD Power and whatnot....doesn't exactly lend one a lot of confidence in the current MY. I'm wondering, based on Tesla's history, if this is likely to change substantially in the next 12 months. I know the M3 was rife with QC problems in its early days, but our 2019 model is pretty solid. Same likely to happen with the MY, or is demand so big for the car that QC will continue to lag?

Also, I know this has been discussed recently, but I'm really hoping for a RWD offering. I have no need for AWD here in climate-changed Arkansas, and would appreciate the lower price point.

Seems like a Y is the obvious answer, you have and like the 3, and the Y improves upon the 3 in all the areas you have identified. I think build quality should be about the same between a 3 and a Y next year, most Y's are fine or have a misaligned panel or two that can be easily fixed. There will be a RWD offering, not sure how the pricing will line up, but it'll be more expensive than a 3 and less than an AWD Y. I would want to wait and see how the QC is with ID4 and Mach-E, plus no Supercharging if that's a factor. If you can put gas in a car it's not an EV, so Rav-4 is out.

I have 12 months remaining on my i3s lease and am looking ahead to potential long term replacement options. We also have a Model 3 SR+ and a Bolt. I'm thinking my next vehicle needs to be a little more spacious than the i3, have room for three adults, able to accommodate a bike rack on the back, decent ground clearance, etc, but I want it to be electric.

Our Model 3 has been great. Had it for a year so far and we've had no issues with it. Fit and finish are fine, just a very slight misalignment with the frunk lid. No major complaints, and autopilot (sans FSD) will *really* spoil you. It makes my active cruise control on the i3 seem like old timey tech.

So the MY is on my radar, along with the VW ID4, Mustang Mach-E, and maybe RAV4-Prime (not totally EV, but enough to cover my typical daily range).

Of course, reading through this forum and checking ratings from JD Power and whatnot....doesn't exactly lend one a lot of confidence in the current MY. I'm wondering, based on Tesla's history, if this is likely to change substantially in the next 12 months. I know the M3 was rife with QC problems in its early days, but our 2019 model is pretty solid. Same likely to happen with the MY, or is demand so big for the car that QC will continue to lag?

Also, I know this has been discussed recently, but I'm really hoping for a RWD offering. I have no need for AWD here in climate-changed Arkansas, and would appreciate the lower price point.
And keep in mind that many folks here may be a little more picky than most, and the more you read, the more picky you might become as well. Not trying to be being negative here, just saying that like most things in life, negative reviews generally outweigh the positive; people tend to post less to sing praises than to criticize. It is a fact that the MY quality has been a little 'spotty' during the roll-out, which is taking place during difficult times. But I too am hoping that things get better next year, when I order mine (January).