Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year In...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I hit the one year mark with my Model 3 (dual motor w/ EAP). Here are some quick facts to help those considering their first Tesla or electric car...

I've driven 12,073 miles predominately in NJ for my daily commute and weekend exercises. The car used 2,988 kWh with an average Wh/mi of 248 (higher in winter, lower in summer). Total cost in electricity was $598 (my elec rate is $0.20 kW), inclusive of 1 supercharger use last winter when we went to visit my parents. I came from a Honda Fit, so that same 34mpg car would have cost $959. I was going to purchase a Lexus IS350 before the Model 3, and gas in that car would have cost $1810 in gas (20mpg using premium).

I've had zero real problems with the car - about a month ago I took it to the service center for a clicking axle noise and they re-torqued the axle nuts (in and our in two hours). I rotated the cars tires in my driveway at ~10k miles. Cost spent on maintenance and repairs = $0. Insurance did cost slightly more for me in the Tesla versus the Lexus and definitely more versus the Honda (expected when comparing a $18k car to a $50k car)

Driving the car has been great - the autopilot usage and one pedal driving really makes for a better experience behind the wheel. I hope to someday build an older ICE car with my son since I'm a car guy at heart, but for a daily driver, the bar has been set by Tesla.

Sounds like you are still very happy with your decision. Anything you wish you would have done differently at this point? Anything accessories or modifications that you would or wouldn’t recommend?

Did you do any paint protection? If not, how is the paint holding up? Where are the “hot spots” so to speak?

Sounds like you are still very happy with your decision. Anything you wish you would have done differently at this point? Anything accessories or modifications that you would or wouldn’t recommend?

Did you do any paint protection? If not, how is the paint holding up? Where are the “hot spots” so to speak?

Anything I would have done differently? No - while there are times I certainly wish I had the P or sleeper model, I don't really see the value for another $5k (even though I've posted about wanting the option to upgrade for my 980 motor). I'm not going to track the car, so the punch is fine with the regular dual motor model. Punching it from 15-20mph on feels better than any other car I've driven.

I've did the following mods:
1. PPF was done when I bought it, full front and full doors with opticoat. If I did it again, I'd skip the doors. The car looks virtually new after a two bucket wash. I previously had a black Honda Fit, and the front end was littered with rock chips after 15k miles.
2. My rear emblem was ripped off, so I added the black T E S L A lettering from abstract ocean. I actually prefer this look.
3. I've added Kenriko's carbon fiber console and door trim wraps, which I prefer over the piano black.
4. I've stained my dash a darker brown (used ebony, but couldn't get it as dark as I wanted)
5. 3d Maxpider mats - helpful in winter time and easy to clean/vacuum
6. Tinted with Llumar pinnacle 40% on all windows except the windshield and roof. I should have gotten them all done, the glass allows alot of heat transfer after awhile in hot summer sun driving midday. For my commuting (early morning and late day driving) it's fine.

Sitting in my garage is Kenriko's chrome delete, Tsportline lowering springs, and rubber door seal weatherstripping. I hope to put these on in the coming month or two.

Reactions: Someguy4747
Purely because of price - the 4 doors was an extra $1k. My wife convinced me my kids would bang them up in the garage and they haven’t. I park in an end spot in a parking garage for work so my car is low risk for door dings and such. If I was always out parking between others it would be a different story.

Anything I would have done differently? No - while there are times I certainly wish I had the P or sleeper model, I don't really see the value for another $5k (even though I've posted about wanting the option to upgrade for my 980 motor). I'm not going to track the car, so the punch is fine with the regular dual motor model. Punching it from 15-20mph on feels better than any other car I've driven.

I've did the following mods:
1. PPF was done when I bought it, full front and full doors with opticoat. If I did it again, I'd skip the doors. The car looks virtually new after a two bucket wash. I previously had a black Honda Fit, and the front end was littered with rock chips after 15k miles.
2. My rear emblem was ripped off, so I added the black T E S L A lettering from abstract ocean. I actually prefer this look.
3. I've added Kenriko's carbon fiber console and door trim wraps, which I prefer over the piano black.
4. I've stained my dash a darker brown (used ebony, but couldn't get it as dark as I wanted)
5. 3d Maxpider mats - helpful in winter time and easy to clean/vacuum
6. Tinted with Llumar pinnacle 40% on all windows except the windshield and roof. I should have gotten them all done, the glass allows alot of heat transfer after awhile in hot summer sun driving midday. For my commuting (early morning and late day driving) it's fine.

Sitting in my garage is Kenriko's chrome delete, Tsportline lowering springs, and rubber door seal weatherstripping. I hope to put these on in the coming month or two.
You have any pics of the 40%? I’ve been thinking about that tint myself.

Thanks for the breakdown!

Looking back would you have wanted to go darker tint like 30% especially because you say there is a lot of heat transfer? Or has 40% been good?
I had 25% on my old car and it was too dark for me driving in the dark (I leave for work when it’s dark and in winter drive home in the dark). I also have astigmatism so that probably doesn’t help. The 40% ceramic is fine, I think it’s the untinted windows that speeds up the cabin heating. In hot sun I can no longer feel the direct heat on my arm like I could pre-tint.

I have pics just can’t figure out how to upload here.

• Informative
Reactions: juss20