Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Later: What's Missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the biggest issues to tackle are the 12V battery issue (people are still having this problem) and the expansion of the tech features. I really believe it is time they activated the hard drive and the wifi. I had a cable buried and an access point set up in my garage specifically for the latter issue. The app functionality should be accelerated now. I would like to see either (or both) a Pandora or Spotify app. We need pricing on 3G as well.

I for one hope they never give us 3G pricing. :) Also don't care if the car doesn't has Wifi... Never thought I'd be getting >4 months free.

I think I'd rather have sleep mode than any of the above! :)

Plus one...

- - - Updated - - -

+1, currently cellular if free, as long as that remains free I could care less about WiFi. Yes I realize that some people live in areas with poor cell signal. But in the words of Sam Kinison (RIP) "Move to where the signal is"

Plus one here too.

+1, currently cellular if free, as long as that remains free I could care less about WiFi. Yes I realize that some people live in areas with poor cell signal. But in the words of Sam Kinison (RIP) "Move to where the signal is"

I need Wi-Fi. Can't do squat with my car via app when at home. It's been a bit of a pain as sometimes when Tesla needed to check my logs or push an update I've needed to drive to an area with decent coverage about 2 miles away and just sit in the car and wait for the data transfer.

I assume you're joking about the "move to where the signal is" comment.

Elon mentioned that the car would learn your habits and adjust accordingly (Heuristic learning). For example - If every morning at 7:00am you get into your car, set the temperature at 70 degrees and play a certain station, the car would start doing it automatically over time. Also he talked about the car holding it's temperature for a certain period of time (not related to having to do so manually through a phone app) so if you were in a hot area, the car would stay at a comfortable temperature for a couple of hours.

Elon mentioned that the car would learn your habits and adjust accordingly (Heuristic learning). For example - If every morning at 7:00am you get into your car, set the temperature at 70 degrees and play a certain station, the car would start doing it automatically over time. Also he talked about the car holding it's temperature for a certain period of time (not related to having to do so manually through a phone app) so if you were in a hot area, the car would stay at a comfortable temperature for a couple of hours.

While this stuff is cool and certainly possible, I'm not sure I'd even like that. Sure, it'd be cool to tell your friends about, but what about when I go on business trips? I don't want my car turning on the A/C when I'm not home. Every time I break my routine, I'd have to tell the car to "stay put and don't do anything". Seems like it'd be a nuisance.

And think of how much energy would be wasted by keeping the car cooled for even 30 minutes after you get out of it. It just seems like a nightmare to try to implement in the real world. Yes, people have patterns that are somewhat reliable for a majority of the time, but breaking those patterns (which isn't that uncommon) shouldn't result in a massive waste of energy and unnecessary wear on components. I guess I prefer being able to control it via smartphone.

But I don't want to get too far off topic: I had heard that up until recently, the size of the software development team was about 18 people (don't recall the exact number) and has recently undergone some significant hiring growth. (Seriously?!? *18* people to develop the car's systems/OS/UI, the smart phone apps, the support apps that ownership uses to interact with your car, and the apps the service team uses to interact with your car?!? Holy moly, no wonder very little was getting done!

Maybe that will help them get moving on what has up until now been a painfully slow development pace.

I don't think ours has it (we were Sig VIN 55, so pretty early). Where are they in the current cars?

They are right above the rear windows pointing at the rear seats respectively (one on each side) similar to the button push-type lights for the driver and passenger but those are location more in front of you. Basically they are where a 'oh $%!&' handle would be for the rear seats if they existed.

Does your Sig Model S have rear map lights? Mine came without them but they are on all cars now I believe so that only affects a few cars.

Yeah my two week old baby, has at least now, real glass for the vanity mirrors (not plastic mirrors), but no lights around them. And it does have front and rear map lights. And door and seat-back pockets.

Okay, maybe not that last one. ;)

Sunshade for pano roof

oooh, good one, I'd forgotten about that. I need that in the winter, summer is fine (except when the roof is open and my forehead gets baked)

Ability to upload music into the media players on board storage.

That's implied by the HDD access, but I'll make it more prominent.

IMO, almost a year on and we're still waiting for an answer to this question: So-What-exactly-is-the-value-of-a-Signature-Model-S

It can't have been the bag, and everyone still has the 3G service so that doesn't count.....

Yeah, as many have argued Tesla never "promised" anything more than we've gotten, I decided to leave that horse out of this race.

Yes, in the 10/1/2011 factory tour Elon mentioned it while in the car IIRC. Thought it came up in articles since too.
Looking...
Revealing Model S Beta | Blog | Tesla Motors

In video 3, I don't hear anything about the mentioned text message support.

But I did hear:
- temperature management
- schedule learning

He used the word automatic a lot in that description.

Last edited: