Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Lease of My Unused Model 3 Available in 3-4 Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why am I offering this?

Last week I was invited to configure my Model 3 for delivery in New York (where I live). After submitting an order that night (January 4th), we were given a delivery estimate of 4 weeks.

Since configuring (LR, with AP, and PUP) that night, my wife and I have been rethinking whether we got ahead of ourselves and our budget here in our effort to give Tesla a quick response and reduce our wait time. We have also been exploring how we might be able to offset the cost of these upgrades over a base car enough to go for the car as we really want it.

We were considering whether something like using Turo to rent the car some would do the job. Then it occurred to us, there are people out there who might particularly like a one year lease of a Model 3 at this very time in the car's release. We had in mind people with a long wait on a reservation, and/or wanting to test the car out before deciding what configuration they want to buy, and/or waiting for options not yet available (dual motor, performance version, more choices in interiors, etc.) and/or preferring for Tesla to get more production experience with the car under their belt, and to receive the continual incremental improvements to the car over the next year which Tesla is known to add to its vehicles, before buying a 3 outright. You'd basically get the upside of not waiting to receive a Model 3, while retaining the optionality of seeing just how you want to configure your car for the long haul.

So, we are thinking a year lease/rental could be a win/win for us and someone wanting to receive this car brand new in a few weeks.

Basic Terms
We have in mind a one year agreement with up to 15K miles included. I'm open to some variation on these terms. fwiw, my understanding is that two unrelated people can be on the title of the car together, so, you could take delivery and set up your own insurance for the year (after a year, you would return the car and take your name off the title).

Pricing
I found a lease calculator on Edmunds as a starting point to think about pricing (screen shot of my assumptions, and link to the calculator below).

A few words on the assumptions I used. Price is what we will pay Tesla, including $1K destination fee per Edmunds suggestion. Title, registration, other fees, zeroed out. Residual value, I assumed 80% of the cost of the $55K cost of the car itself (without destination fee). "Money factor" (interest), I zeroed this out, assuming payment would be upfront. One final variable you may have noticed, for this short term arrangement, we will be retaining the benefits of the EV rebates available.
cleardot.gif

Based on the calculator, if the car were available for 1 year leases, the cost would be $12,500.

Given the car's year plus waiting list, we are looking for some amount of a premium above that $12.5K figure for the lease from Edmunds' calculator. Of course, we'd be quite happy with a $19K offer that covered all those extra options on the car (LR battery, PUP, AP). That said, we want an arrangement that both parties feel good about, and are hoping we can find an enthusiast on TMC who will really love and care for the car. So, if you are interested please let us know what you can offer us within this price range.

Configuration

My order was placed in with Silver with the 18” Aero wheels and Enhanced Auto Pilot. I’d be open to change to another color and perhaps the 19” Sport wheels. As you can see in Tesla's fine print of the image shared below, such a change could incur a delay and/or possibly a fee.

Please send PM if interested. I live in the NYC suburbs and work in the city. While not absolutely necessary, I think it makes sense that we meet in person to finalize details before we sign a simple (but clear) contact.
Reserevationpage.png
Reservationsplash.png

Clever but too much risk for my liking.

Assuming you’ll be taking the federal and state tax credits on this vehicle? Will you also be insuring the car and paying sales / property tax?

If you’re looking to make a return on your deposit (not judging here) why not just use the joint title approach and sell the car for a small premium?

Clever but too much risk for my liking.

Assuming you’ll be taking the federal and state tax credits on this vehicle? Will you also be insuring the car and paying sales / property tax?

If you’re looking to make a return on your deposit (not judging here) why not just use the joint title approach and sell the car for a small premium?
Thanks for the reply. I realize my original post was long, but much of the points you raised I did try to address.

1) Yes, we’d take the tax credits for ourselves (wife and me).

2) Insurance would be the renter’s responsibility to pay for while they had the car.

3) We’d pay the taxes to buy the car (passing on some amount of the tax expense is among the costs a leasing company might include that we have not included)

4) Others may be using a joint title as a way to transfer the car but keep the benefit of the tax credit... but, we're looking to own this car, not flip it. I have been daydreaming about this car for sometime.

• Summer 2012, caught the Tesla bug (pretty bad)
• July 2014 Ordered the vanity license plate "Model E"
• March 31 2016 Day 1 reservationist for Model 3
• January 4 2018, received email from Tesla to invite me to design (and order) my Model 3
• January 5-7 2018 had serious conversation with the wife about getting a $ 50K+ car now (vs. the $ 35K we had talked about in a few months).
• January 8 2018 put this post on TMC with the goal of deferring our enjoyment of the car for a year, which would make it more affordable for us to go for all the extras

Without getting into the weeds about my family finances, buying a model 3 is a stretch. No doubt exploring the willingness of someone to pay a premium to lease the car from us for the first year (when demand is at its peak) does give us a potential substantial financial benefit, but we would be giving up something too - having the to deal with tooling around with a 2002 ICE car for another year and taking a risk on how well the car would be cared for by the renter. We like the trade off of being able to get a very well equipped 3 (Long Range Battery + Enhanced Auto Pilot) by waiting an extra year before we can enjoy driving this car. We tried to be fair and open on our assumptions on how we came up with the figures for the one year lease, and definitely recognize its not a deal that is for everyone. We are just putting this out there to try match up our needs where we are today with those of an enthusiast who wants to get the car now, and be able to get the latest iteration a year from now with the benefit of more information and more drivetrain options to choose from.
IMG_2544.jpg

@Dimitar Atanasov, @SteveG3, here are a few examples of leases under $1K for Model S. Filter it down and it'll show 3 cars that meet the general requirements of what I said (lease trader).

For Model X, use the search function here, as there's even one that has the Ludacris speed upgrade with a monthly payment of $1K plus applicable taxes depending on your state (some are asking for money down, some aren't).

Not sure why people disagree on statements of factual information without doing any research.

Last edited:
@Dimitar Atanasov, @SteveG3, here are a few examples of leases under $1K for Model S. Filter it down and it'll show 3 cars that meet the general requirements of what I said (lease trader).

For Model X, use the search function here, as there's even one that has the Ludacris speed upgrade with a monthly payment of $1K plus applicable taxes depending on your state (some are asking for money down, some aren't).

Not sure why people disagree on statements of factual information without doing 2 minutes of research.

Qben, fair question as to why I disagreed. As it actually happens, it was in, fact only, after I did spend some time researching whether this offer was "entering S or X territory" as you had written.

I went to Tesla's website. The lowest priced version of the Model S (rather than a more expensive base X) for a 3 year lease with a 10K mile limit per year is $1050/month when you include the monthly cost of the down payment.

The dollar figure is in fact about what dgh posted, vey close actually, but, there are a couple of major differences...

1) It's a one year lease vs. a 3 year lease. Having looked at the link aromasca provided last night to Kilocar's offer, I got some idea as to what monetizing the difference in term length would look like... Kilocar charges 21.4% more per month for their 1 year offer vs. there 3 year offer. If we use that as a guide, that bumps a base Model S to $1275 a month if Tesla had a 1 year lease available.

2) Turns out (from Tesla's website), the monthly lease figure does not include, "tax, title, registration, and other fees" that are due at signing. So, $1275 + taxes + X per month for the base Model S in a theoretical 1 year lease, they do not actually make available.

3) OP is offering 15K miles per year vs. Tesla's 10K per year.

Of course, this is all aside from the fact that you can custom order that Model S today and take delivery in a month or two (or quicker if you like what's in inventory), whereas ordering a Model 3? Tesla currently says delivery in 12 to 18 months.

Finally, as to the lease trader link you shared... I agree with brkaus' response.

Qben, fair question as to why I disagreed. As it actually happens, it was in, fact only, after I did spend some time researching whether this offer was "entering S or X territory" as you had written.

I went to Tesla's website. The lowest priced version of the Model S (rather than a more expensive base X) for a 3 year lease with a 10K mile limit per year is $1050/month when you include the monthly cost of the down payment.

The dollar figure is in fact about what dgh posted, vey close actually, but, there are a couple of major differences...

1) It's a one year lease vs. a 3 year lease. Having looked at the link aromasca provided last night to Kilocar's offer, I got some idea as to what monetizing the difference in term length would look like... Kilocar charges 21.4% more per month for their 1 year offer vs. there 3 year offer. If we use that as a guide, that bumps a base Model S to $1275 a month if Tesla had a 1 year lease available.

2) Turns out (from Tesla's website), the monthly lease figure does not include, "tax, title, registration, and other fees" that are due at signing. So, $1275 + taxes + X per month for the base Model S in a theoretical 1 year lease, they do not actually make available.

3) OP is offering 15K miles per year vs. Tesla's 10K per year.

Of course, this is all aside from the fact that you can custom order that Model S today and take delivery in a month or two (or quicker if you like what's in inventory), whereas ordering a Model 3? Tesla currently says delivery in 12 to 18 months.

Finally, as to the lease trader link you shared... I agree with brkaus' response.
The reference to Model S & X territory was simply implied from a holistic perspective. I never said a new Model S or X directly from Tesla, my comment referred to the actual vehicle itself being in the same pricing territory (regardless of vehicle sourcing).

The reference to Model S & X territory was simply implied from a holistic perspective. I never said a new Model S or X directly from Tesla, my comment referred to the actual vehicle itself being in the same pricing territory (regardless of vehicle sourcing).

That is the difference- when I read your original comment, I took it as a comparison of this offer to the pricing of a new S or X. To me, it's a given that a used S or X can be found for the $55K Tesla price of this Model 3, but, I spend way more time thinking about Tesla and cars in general than most people probably do : )

Reactions: bhzmark and dgh
kilocar which is a TMC vendor has a $5k down, $899/mo pay as you go lease or a 12 months for $849/mo for the Model 3 btw - Vendor - Model 3 Subscriptions & Priority Deliveries

I definitely see how some one would bite these to get the chance to get in a Model 3 this early or bridge a gap between cars.
Thank you for your post. Looks like what I am looking to do on a one year lease for a NEW Model 3 is in the same ball park. I would take an offer for a little less than the Kilocar price from someone I can see appreciates the car and will take care of the car.

I am not looking for a hybrid down payment + monthly fee, just a simple one off payment. Also, I am not looking to tack on taxes or any other fees. As a Tesla shareholder, I *hope* Kilocar will be able to delivery cars on the time scale they indicated (meaning Tesla is making a lots of Model 3), but if they don't get the cars (either to give priority to private Model 3 reservation holders first, or not enough cars overall), I do want to point out that I can assure deliver in about three weeks based on what Tesla has directly confirmed to me.

Last edited:
Based on an unscientific poll of my friends and family, as well as second thoughts from my wife, I have changed the color from Silver to White.

Tesla has confirmed this will not have any impact on the delivery date, as I made the change soon enough in the order process. While the color (and the wheels to 19) could be changed in the future potentially, I'd need to verify if a further change would impact the delivery date and/or attract a fee.
Reserevationpage white.png

Last edited: