Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year. Model S Drivers and Buyers, here's One Year's driving Data, New England:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elwood (my Blues Brother, P1845) has driven me exactly 365 days, arriving one year ago tomorrow morning.
A joy everyday, best THING I ever bought, and of all the things in life that don't really matter - this is the BEST.
I arrive at the end of Year One averaging almost exactly 1 mile/day short of 25,000 miles for the year.

24,614 miles, Zero Tailpipe Emissions
(Webster's: EMISSION; noun: discharge, release, outpouring, outflow, leak, excretion, secretion, ejection; emanation, radiation, effusion, ejaculation, disgorgement, issuance). Yeah - none of that.

Here are the key numbers - note I started Trip meter A about 350 miles (a few hours :) )after the car arrived, for a total mileage, as at bottom:

24,614 Miles, One Year. 8,211 kWh.
In my neighborhood, that's less than $450, for the year, including losses if we consider free Supercharges along the way.

338 Wh/mile average.
Averaged in the 280's in the summer. High 300's in the dead of winter. Today it was 17 degrees, peaking at a balmy 22 this evening. Fahrenheit. And there was 6-7 inches of snow on the road this morning, so today's Wh/mile not as impressive. But Elwood's handing in the snow was very impressive.

My Model S lives outside of Boston, and vacations in the Mountains of New Hampshire all year long, catches rays on Cape Cod each Summer, and has enjoyed many trips to NYC, and at least nine states, from Maine to the edge of Virginia. We have Supercharged about 7 or 8 times, camped on beaches and aside battlegrounds. I confess I slept with Elwood one night when short of a hotel bed in New Hampshire. Controlling the heat from the iPhone took on new importance.

Two Truisms: the car really does get better with time. The updates have added useful, practical, and at times awe-inspiring functionality.
And the people are amazing - you know who you are. Thanks so much for putting up with me and making this first year a blast.

I even like the Service people. No, really. The owners know I'm not pulling the wool here, so prospective buyer just go ahead and imagine liking your Service Center. Go ahead. Close your eyes. Good.

So, what would you give a Tesla for it's first Birthday?
Yes, of course - Solar Panels. They go on the roof tomorrow, the actual delivery date.
The panels will provide a guaranteed 7,550 kWh/year. At 8211 kWh/year; the Solar Panels will cover all my driving for the year if we include the 1,400 miles Elwood Supercharged this year.

Now how cool is that?

"And so say we - Tap into America!" (Tap, 1983)

Attachments

• Tesla One Year1.JPG
    Tesla One Year1.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 1,399
Last edited:
Great report and mirrors my experience quite closely. I have a couple thousand fewer miles, probably a few more "free" miles, very similar energy usage numbers. Would love to get PV panels installed so I could throwit back at the "you're still burning coal" nay sayers. Just gotta figure out a way to do it and still buy my wife her Model X next year...

gg Thanks. Bet that Green 60 is in great use and that those neighbors settled down long ago.
efusco fellow MD - I did buy the PV panels, but you could always call Solar City and not pay a dime for the whole shebang of PV panels.
Has the same net effect on greenhouse gases as buying the panels. Wife gets Model X, and there is much rejoicing.

gg Thanks. Bet that Green 60 is in great use and that those neighbors settled down long ago.
efusco fellow MD - I did buy the PV panels, but you could always call Solar City and not pay a dime for the whole shebang of PV panels.
Has the same net effect on greenhouse gases as buying the panels. Wife gets Model X, and there is much rejoicing.
Solar City doesn't operate in my wasteland of a state...

Okay, I'm coming out and we are putting up panels.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, your one-year review is really helpful to me, as I wait on my delivery. The only thing wrong with your review is the above quote - it really does matter - don't you know we're slowly changing the world, one car buy at a time?... but I do get the point. :)

Would be amazing to drive an S in B.C. Love it out there - was in Terrance and skied Northern Escape year or two ago, and ended up in Jasper and Banff and that's is heaven. The 100% fork is most enjoyable in rolling hills and a blast up steep mountains (see Model S Mt Washington Aug 5 thread re: hills). Sounds like you are in for a great drive.

Congrats ModelS1079, and happy first birthday, Elwood! My baby P02547 rolled off the assembly line almost a year ago, Dec 19th I believe it was, though it took her a few weeks to get to me after that. Just crossed 11,500 miles, and I don't have anywhere near your impressive Wh/mi numbers. What a fantastic year, indeed. Currently determining the best placement for a second plug in the garage for an eventual Model X!

Congrats jim! Last winter was definitely an exciting time for a LOT of us. :)

I didn't get my beauty till early february (had to wait on the 60 packs to start being built), but i can say my experience mirrors yours quite a bit (didn't almost burn down the house though...). I only wish Virginia was more reasonable about things like solar. Hard to think of something cooler than charging the best car in existence on sunlight. :)

Congrats on the anniversary, I remember that day well, fortunately not dents on the hood.
Solar panels going up today! Should I drop by?

I pulled into work this morning with 19,998 miles on my car. So expect a 20k post from me shortly.

Great feedback - much enjoyed here over a fine can of Sprite at the hospital.

Mhotep - as above, the house excitement actually was caused by an external wire that the town put up to carry 300A to my Electro-thermal Storage heating unit (for my house's heat), and this wire was to carry 40A to my house for the Model S as well. The town has a special meter for my heat (a town program) and EVs. Turns out the town mis-calculated a bit and, well, 340A continuous draw melted the insulation on this out-door wire and puff the magic dragon showed up one cold winter evening, perched right where that wire had been. NOT Tesla-related. To their credit, all has been perfect since.

Aaron thanks - as noted this is really about the people as much as a car. Ok, so it's about the car, but...wait, you get it...

Ed A - you were there for the First Ride - when we pulled up to a friend's house and his son - for reasons still unclear - decided to run up and dive, spread eagle, belly-down, on top of the frunk. The metallic blue finish won, but I still suffer a touch of PTSD when I remember the sound of his belt buckle hitting the hood. But that is what good friends are for - to remind you of how sometimes your own kids seem normal.

JakeP and Tempus - hope your Model S's are enjoying the Winter.
RDoc - my range has decreased some. My Max charge is around 240-250. However, the new software as of 5.6 began to calculate the range differently, so it is a little hard to compare. According to the Roadster posts, the greatest loss of range happens in the first year or so, then slows. Will keep you posted.

Aronth5 - yes, that is me and my Tesla Grin. Nothing better. Monument Street to East Street - may be the nicest ride to work anybody has, nation-wide. A winding 45mph road, lined by 350 year-old farms and their ancient stone walls, horses and sheep, this is a gorgeous ride in any car, and simply magical in a Model S, Pano Open, that perfect song filling the wind.

Last edited: