Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One year ownership update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well guys, one year has come and gone in what seems like the blink of an eye! I just wish I had driven an extra 405.25 miles :) Odometer reading at the one year point was 24594.75, would have been nice to make an even 25K. I do lots of road trips as you may be able to tell from the mileage :)

Over all, I like the car as much today as I did when I got it... but for several months in the middle I wanted to get rid of it! Tesla's issue with vision only PB was non-existent when I got the car (one of the first vision only cars), but rapidly went to crap... then after months of it not getting better people got fed up enough to complain to the NHTSA, the problem was resolved without comment virtually over night. The only people who still have this issue seem to be the poor bastards paying Tesla to be Beta testers in the FSD Beta program. I don't have the energy to research it, but I wonder if the vision only PB problem onset correlates with the beginning of the FSD Beta program? I think one of the really bad parts of that whole ordeal was dealing with forum members in radar equipped cars insisting that those of us experiencing the problem were exaggerating, or were trolls who were out right lying about the issue. Really sad to see fellow forum members treat other forum members like crap in an attempt to shield Tesla from criticism.

Anyway, I have made several changes to the car, I have the power frunk, Hansshow instrument cluster display with front mounted camera, replacement camera based rear view mirror, yoke wheel, swivel center display, sun shade for the glass roof, full tint including heat rejection ceramic 80% for the windshield, S3XY buttons from Abstract Ocean, a set of Gemini's with the stock all season tires, a set of Tsportline 18" wheels with max performance summer tires, CCS adapter from South Korea, dozens of various minor interior upgrades and camping accessories like the XPED mattress, window covers, and rear hatch tent. Latest upgrade is the Mountain Pass Performance front skid plate, I added sound deadening to it myself before I installed that one today.

The only modification I regret is the kick sensor for the rear hatch, I have disconnected that menace to scalp health! It NEVER worked to actually open the rear hatch when I would walk up to the car and want to open it... but the damn thing sure worked great sensing my foot when I was standing under the hatch loading something into the back of the car... at that point it would try to kill me.

For service center interactions I am in luck, the nearest service center (an hour away) doesn't suck! I had to go to them to have my Homelink installed (love that thing!) because the mobile service was limited at that time due to a bridge being damaged limiting mobile service access. Later on, I had an exterior trim issue with the passenger side front fender, the trim around the wheel just popped loose, mobile tech came by and replaced that. Last service item was the passenger side seat had the entire side loose. Service tech said it is pretty common for a mounting point to be missed in the factory, rather than replacing the entire side of the seat as proscribed by the service center, he replaced one mounting point with a bolt... no more problems!

Well, that is all I can think of for now.

Keith

Last edited:
Why do you feel bad for us who purchased FSD? I think most people, like me, got FSD for what it can do now ,but more likely what it can do in 5 years. I dunno, but don't feel sorry for us, we purchased something we wanted! :)
He's saying fsd beta cars are still getting phantom braking. I don't have fsd beta but I can tell you phantom braking issues have greatly improved since February on the standard build.

Reactions: Jayohee and alexcue
Why do you feel bad for us who purchased FSD? I think most people, like me, got FSD for what it can do now ,but more likely what it can do in 5 years. I dunno, but don't feel sorry for us, we purchased something we wanted! :)

Clarification here... it seems like the people in the FSD Beta program are still experiencing the PB that plagued all of the vision only cars before the NHTSA investigation kicked off... those are the people I am feeling sorry for.

Keith

Reactions: Halldawg
Took a trip with my new MYP from Northern CA to Orange County and used AP 90% of the way. I experienced PB 3 times - 2 around sunrise 6 am and 1 in the evening. All 3 times there was nothing in front of me. Still do t understand what’s triggering it.

Reactions: golfwayne
Took a trip with my new MYP from Northern CA to Orange County and used AP 90% of the way. I experienced PB 3 times - 2 around sunrise 6 am and 1 in the evening. All 3 times there was nothing in front of me. Still do t understand what’s triggering it.

Yup, it still exists... but it is so much better now than it was! I would get 10+ PB events in a 26 mile commute in good weather during the day, at night it would be at least double that. Going down to having a few events every 100 miles instead of several events every 10 miles was a game changer.

Keith

Yup, it still exists... but it is so much better now than it was! I would get 10+ PB events in a 26 mile commute in good weather during the day, at night it would be at least double that. Going down to having a few events every 100 miles instead of several events every 10 miles was a game changer.

Keith
I'm on FSD and still getting PB on a regular basis. Improved but still problematic. Slowed from 65 to 50 fast enough that I had a pickup truck come close to eating my bumper last week. a few events every 100 miles would be nice but honestly, it's still worse than every other car with adaptive cruise I've driven.

I'm on FSD and still getting PB on a regular basis. Improved but still problematic. Slowed from 65 to 50 fast enough that I had a pickup truck come close to eating my bumper last week. a few events every 100 miles would be nice but honestly, it's still worse than every other car with adaptive cruise I've driven.
Are you on FSD, or FSD Beta? I think from previous conversations you are FSD Beta. If so, is the Beta worth the PB for you? I don't see anything compelling enough in FSD Beta to make me put up with the PB issues.

Keith

Are you on FSD, or FSD Beta? I think from previous conversations you are FSD Beta. If so, is the Beta worth the PB for you? I don't see anything compelling enough in FSD Beta to make me put up with the PB issues.

Keith
beta, and yes, that's a good question. I tried turning off FSD beta and didn't see a noticeable difference. Of course the other problem is that people in the FSDb tend to get updates later. For the time being I'll probably stick with FSDb. PB has at least improved to the point of being tolerable. it is embarrassing when I'm driving with people and the car slams on it's brakes for no reason. How do I explain to them that yes, their Hyundai has a better cruise control that my Tesla?

beta, and yes, that's a good question. I tried turning off FSD beta and didn't see a noticeable difference. Of course the other problem is that people in the FSDb tend to get updates later. For the time being I'll probably stick with FSDb. PB has at least improved to the point of being tolerable. it is embarrassing when I'm driving with people and the car slams on it's brakes for no reason. How do I explain to them that yes, their Hyundai has a better cruise control that my Tesla?
I’m not too familiar with other manufacturers. Do they use LiDAR?

Yeah, after turning off FSD Beta you would have to go through a software update cycle to get ride of the PB issue, it doesn't go away just because you have turned off the beta features.

Good luck,

Keith

Reactions: sleepydoc
Clarification here... it seems like the people in the FSD Beta program are still experiencing the PB that plagued all of the vision only cars before the NHTSA investigation kicked off... those are the people I am feeling sorry for.

Keith
This is the main reason I've never tried the $199/monthly subscription to FSD. I'd love to give the beta a try and am pretty sure I could get a 96 or higher score. But I don't want to lose the radar-based AP on my 15-month-old Model Y. I've heard once FSD is activated on a radar AP Tesla.. it then 'upgrades' it vision-based AP. And it remains vision-based.. even when FSD is removed.

I don't believe there is a way to revert back to radar-based AP.

This is the main reason I've never tried the $199/monthly subscription to FSD. I'd love to give the beta a try and am pretty sure I could get a 96 or higher score. But I don't want to lose the radar-based AP on my 15-month-old Model Y. I've heard once FSD is activated on a radar AP Tesla.. it then 'upgrades' it vision-based AP. And it remains vision-based.. even when FSD is removed.

I don't believe there is a way to revert back to radar-based AP.
I am wondering if Tesla disabled the radar based system even with the cars with the radars. So, basically your radar is there for nothing. Please correct me or provide information if you know something on this matter.

Glad to hear the positive remarks. The quality control is one of my biggest concerns with Tesla.

How are you liking the 18” tsportiline wheels? How do they compare to the 19” Gemini?

Do you have any pics of the setup?

I am wondering if Tesla disabled the radar based system even with the cars with the radars. So, basically your radar is there for nothing. Please correct me or provide information if you know something on this matter.
From what I know... radar-based AP still works as long as you have not used FSD. There are two easy ways to tell if your AP is still radar-based: 1) AP works up to 90mph.. 2) Following distance can be set to 1 car length.

When you have vision-based AP: 1) AP now works up to 85mph (which just very recently increased from 80mph, which was the limit for the last year!!) 2) Following distance is limited to a minimum of 2 car lengths.

I never really drive 90mph.. even on empty highways. But I can tell you for sure my following distance has always been set to 1. In the DC area if you provide more than about an 8-foot gap between you and the car in front of you.. someone will absolutely try to squeeze in and/or cut you off.

From what I know... radar-based AP still works as long as you have not used FSD. There are two easy ways to tell if your AP is still radar-based: 1) AP works up to 90mph.. 2) Following distance can be set to 1 car length.

When you have vision-based AP: 1) AP now works up to 85mph (which just very recently increased from 80mph, which was the limit for the last year!!) 2) Following distance is limited to a minimum of 2 car lengths.

I never really drive 90mph.. even on empty highways. But I can tell you for sure my following distance has always been set to 1. In the DC area if you provide more than about an 8-foot gap between you and the car in front of you.. someone will absolutely try to squeeze in and/or cut you off.
I believe both of your examples are limitations or FSD software not radar. FSD limits the points you made.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I wonder the same also. Other then forum theories I see no valid reason they would have 2 completely different software feeds with one inputting from radar and camera and one camera only. Cant imagine they would maintain multiple software codes Knowing they are shipping without radar for close to a year. Just seems like a far fetched problematic theory.