Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One year ownership update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe both of your examples are limitations or FSD software not radar. FSD limits the points you made.

Neither of those things are FSD related

1657118946505.png

Last edited:
This is the main reason I've never tried the $199/monthly subscription to FSD. I'd love to give the beta a try and am pretty sure I could get a 96 or higher score. But I don't want to lose the radar-based AP on my 15-month-old Model Y. I've heard once FSD is activated on a radar AP Tesla.. it then 'upgrades' it vision-based AP. And it remains vision-based.. even when FSD is removed.

I don't believe there is a way to revert back to radar-based AP.
The Vision only (non FSD Beta) cars don't seem to PB any worse than the radar based cars.

Keith

The Vision only (non FSD Beta) cars don't seem to PB any worse than the radar based cars.

Keith
Yeah but as I pointed out above.. vision AP cars are 1) limited to 85mph on AP.. 2) have a minimum following distance of 2-car lengths.

Radar AP cars have 1) limited to 90mph on AP.. 2) have a minimum following distance of 1-car length..

I don't really care about cruising at 90mph. But I would absolutely hate the 2-car length following distance. Would almost surely cause road rage & aggressive drivers jumping in front of me at every occasion. Actually the 90mph AP would be useful on long-distance trips far out of state.. its just in the DC area most posted speed limits are 65mph and doing 90mph in VA means mandatory JAIL time.

Latest upgrade is the Mountain Pass Performance front skid plate, I added sound deadening to it myself before I installed that one today.

Keith
Wasn't aware there was a aluminum front skid plate available. Any pointers on the install and how you mounted the sound deadening material? My original needed some repair.

Attachments

• messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123300.666.jpeg
    messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123300.666.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 46
Yeah but as I pointed out above.. vision AP cars are 1) limited to 85mph on AP.. 2) have a minimum following distance of 2-car lengths.

Radar AP cars have 1) limited to 90mph on AP.. 2) have a minimum following distance of 1-car length..

I don't really care about cruising at 90mph. But I would absolutely hate the 2-car length following distance. Would almost surely cause road rage & aggressive drivers jumping in front of me at every occasion. Actually the 90mph AP would be useful on long-distance trips far out of state.. its just in the DC area most posted speed limits are 65mph and doing 90mph in VA means mandatory JAIL time.
Also don’t believe the unit of measure is car lengths.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Also don’t believe the unit of measure is car lengths.
You are right.. its based on time, not car length. So the distance probably varies a bit depending on speed.

Either way, my exact same point still remains. When using the setting of "2" people tend to jump in front of me because it leaves to large of a gap. By using the setting of "1".. that doesn't happen.

1657211295368.png

2 questions:

- Does having a min additional front mounted camera do anything?

- What is a camera based rear view and why did you feel this was needed?
Can you tell us which rear view mirror camera replacement you went with and how you like it?

I went with the auto vox T9 rear view mirror camera system. You can't see crap out of the rear window of the Model Y, so a camera based system is much better... I got used to the feature in my Bolt EV Premier (came stock from the factory in the Bolt).

The front camera is used when pulling forwards into a parking spot, it has a proximity sensor feature built into the Hansshow display, so when pulling forward into a spot it automatically activates... makes it easy to see parking lot lines so you know if you have pulled forward far enough when there is not a car already parked in the space in front of you.

Keith

Reactions: Jayohee and Daekwan