Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One year service...worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts on whether I should take my MS in for the 1 year service? Car is running perfect so far. This isn’t a lease so that might be motivation. Would love to hear from others out there.

Drive unit fluid exchange is part of the one year service. It is quite important as I have seen a good amount of swarf leftover, collected on the magnetic drain plug, and some fine unknown particulate dust in the fluid as well. It’s worth it for the peace of mind.

Reactions: J__T and BBB4000
Thoughts on whether I should take my MS in for the 1 year service? Car is running perfect so far. This isn’t a lease so that might be motivation. Would love to hear from others out there.

Just in my opinion I would do the first year service. I believe the first one is when they change the gearbox oil. This is important because it will get rid of any foreign debris from the manufacturing process. In the end this will prolong gearbox life.

You can get individual parts of service done for much less, so that's an option. I had them do the coolant change (mine was built 2013) and they did it for $230. I did the other stuff myself (cabin filter, brake fluid flush).

Every service tech and advisor I’ve spoken with recomeded the Service (of course), but also confirmed it is not mandatory and any issues with the drive unit are covered under warranty regardless of the service be being done or battery regardless of coolant being changed.

I see a bigger advantage in the techs looking over the car during the service and fixing problems you might not have known you had.

Reactions: ChadS and BBB4000
Yes I did that with my Model S and will be doing it for Model X as well.

While the cost may look like waste of money to some people, as a peace of mind, it is worth it IMHO.

Come on guys, if you can afford the price of Model S or X, $550~650 first year maintenance should not be a problem.

I echo the "looked over by a tech" thought - they often find things to do, and unlike a regular stealership they just do them rather than giving you a laundry list of "not covered" stuff to pay them to do.

If you are the original owner I believe you need to have done these IF you want to buy the extended warranty later - not certain, the story on that has changed a couple of times. Regular warranty and drivetrain extended warranty are NOT affected by whether you do this though as others noted.

I echo the "looked over by a tech" thought - they often find things to do, and unlike a regular stealership they just do them rather than giving you a laundry list of "not covered" stuff to pay them to do.

If you are the original owner I believe you need to have done these IF you want to buy the extended warranty later - not certain, the story on that has changed a couple of times. Regular warranty and drivetrain extended warranty are NOT affected by whether you do this though as others noted.
I believe you must follow all maintenance intervals WHILE THE ESA is in effect, but not prior when the factory warranty was in effect.

Wow, $475-$625 for what is about $15 in parts and less than an hour of labor. That's a nice profit.
My plan is to change the drive fluid out at 1 year; the rest of the items are as-needed.

Then break fluid flush and new cabin filter every 2 years and you're good to go..