Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just passed my one year anniversary but have not had one Year Service performed. What does it entail? How much was the service center bill? Is it absolutely necessary? Only issue I'm experiencing is when I get out of car it has a more pronounced whistling sound while systems are still running.

At the one year point they perform a drive unit fluid replacement. Other items are minor (inspection, tire wear check, alignment if necessary, key fob battery replacement (take both your fobs in!) and window wiper replacement, but the big one is the drive unit fluid replacement since any initial gear/drive unit metallic debris in the fluid gets removed with the fluid.

I did the drive unit fluid change myself recently (one year after I got a new DU). There was a lot of metal shimmer in the old fluid as well as a thick layer on the magnetic drain plug. IMO the DU fluid change is essential, and once may not be enough. I will change the fluid again next year.

At the one year point they perform a drive unit fluid replacement. Other items are minor (inspection, tire wear check, alignment if necessary, key fob battery replacement (take both your fobs in!) and window wiper replacement, but the big one is the drive unit fluid replacement since any initial gear/drive unit metallic debris in the fluid gets removed with the fluid.
$ Cost estimate?

They could never guarantee a loaner. I don't think Lexus did or BMW when that I can recall either. It's a liability thing. What I usually do is book it on a non-busy day and early in the morning when they open. So far, have been getting loaner w/o any issue.

Look at the service schedule. Year 3 service is the most useless one. But it is a small price to pay for checking on things and if needing to be repair, do it under warranty.

I did the drive unit fluid change myself recently (one year after I got a new DU). There was a lot of metal shimmer in the old fluid as well as a thick layer on the magnetic drain plug. IMO the DU fluid change is essential, and once may not be enough. I will change the fluid again next year.

Was it hard to do? I'm interested in possibly doing it myself if it's not that crazy hard.

They could never guarantee a loaner. I don't think Lexus did or BMW when that I can recall either. It's a liability thing. What I usually do is book it on a non-busy day and early in the morning when they open. So far, have been getting loaner w/o any issue.

Look at the service schedule. Year 3 service is the most useless one. But it is a small price to pay for checking on things and if needing to be repair, do it under warranty.

@smilepak. This might be a stupid question but what is typically a "non-busy" day? Fridays? Or do you just mean book on a day when they have a lot of appointment times available...assuming that they don't have many cars leftover from the following days? I usually try to do the early morning also.

@smilepak. This might be a stupid question but what is typically a "non-busy" day? Fridays? Or do you just mean book on a day when they have a lot of appointment times available...assuming that they don't have many cars leftover from the following days? I usually try to do the early morning also.

Usually like a tuesday-thursday.

Anytime I’ve booked for the weekend I’ve never been able to get a loaner.