TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

One Year Service?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dcclappers, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dcclappers

dcclappers Member

I just passed my one year anniversary but have not had one Year Service performed. What does it entail? How much was the service center bill? Is it absolutely necessary? Only issue I'm experiencing is when I get out of car it has a more pronounced whistling sound while systems are still running.

2. drklain

drklain Member

At the one year point they perform a drive unit fluid replacement. Other items are minor (inspection, tire wear check, alignment if necessary, key fob battery replacement (take both your fobs in!) and window wiper replacement, but the big one is the drive unit fluid replacement since any initial gear/drive unit metallic debris in the fluid gets removed with the fluid.

3. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I did the drive unit fluid change myself recently (one year after I got a new DU). There was a lot of metal shimmer in the old fluid as well as a thick layer on the magnetic drain plug. IMO the DU fluid change is essential, and once may not be enough. I will change the fluid again next year.

4. dcclappers

dcclappers Member

$ Cost estimate?

5. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

6. Knightro

Knightro Member

Mine is getting ready to come up as well. About how long does the 1 year service typically take?

7. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

They say it takes a couple of hours, once they get started. If you have a busy SC (and just about all of them are), it may take them a while to get to you.

Get a loaner.

8. Knightro

Knightro Member

Just booked at Decatur. They confirmed I will be getting a loaner and that it takes more than a couple hours. But, could not guarantee a Tesla loaner. Lame.

9. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

They could never guarantee a loaner. I don't think Lexus did or BMW when that I can recall either. It's a liability thing. What I usually do is book it on a non-busy day and early in the morning when they open. So far, have been getting loaner w/o any issue.

Look at the service schedule. Year 3 service is the most useless one. But it is a small price to pay for checking on things and if needing to be repair, do it under warranty.

10. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Was it hard to do? I'm interested in possibly doing it myself if it's not that crazy hard.

11. Pinegreen

Pinegreen Member

@smilepak. This might be a stupid question but what is typically a "non-busy" day? Fridays? Or do you just mean book on a day when they have a lot of appointment times available...assuming that they don't have many cars leftover from the following days? I usually try to do the early morning also.

12. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

It's not hard. Search on youtube for "model s fluid change" and there's a detailed video. He uses a professional fluid pump but I just used a $15 pump from autozone and it worked fine.

• Informative x 1
  13. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Usually like a tuesday-thursday.

Anytime I’ve booked for the weekend I’ve never been able to get a loaner.