Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OnePlus 7Pro Phone screen stays on while USB-C charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugging in a USB-C from the front console to my phone works, it charges the phone however my phone screen won't turn off. Even after I turn the phone screen off, it comes back on.

Observations: I think the car is sending a signal to my phone every 5 seconds or so as I can feel the phone's haptic feedback every 5 seconds. This is what is what's preventing my phone screen from turning off. I notice in my USB settings all the options above "No Data Transfer" are normally selectable, but every 5 seconds it greys out for a moment then is selectable again. It always defaults back to "No Data Transfer"

Details:
2021 Tesla Model 3 (version 2021.4.18)
OnePlus 7PRO (latest OS update installed)
Anker USB-C

I can't remember if it ever did this when I first got the car but it has been doing it for some time now. Both front console USB-C ports do this. It charges fine in the backseat USB-C chargers. Anyone have any ideas or the same problem?

unnamed.jpg

Same issue.
- 2021 Model Y
- OnePlus 7t Mclaren 5G
- TEMAI Tesla Model 3/Y Wall Connector Style PD QC3.0 Fast Charging Cable (USB-C to USB-C) (On Amazon)
- Samsung original type c to type c cable

Tried both front usb inside the console, disconnect and reconnect every 5 seconds.

I tried the same cable with back console no problem.

I tired the same cable with front usb and my Samsung S8 plus and Note 9, no problem at all. I tried both Temai and Samsung cables.

I then contacted Tesla thought the app and booked the mobile service:
1. The tesla guy showed up and took apart the entire console, an hour later told me his diagram was outdated and was for old style (non type c port ) only. So he put it back and suggested me to book another one with the repair shop.
2. I booked the appointment with telsa repair shop, brought in the car. Came back two days later to pick up the car, guess what, same issue.
3. I called the rep over to tried, he said he couldn't find a type c to type c cable in the shop, so he tried his type c to lighting cable with his iphone and which worked. He then said since his cable worked, thus the repair is considered completed. He left his email for me to contact in the future. He told me Tesla always have compatibility issues with Android phones.

Now I run out of options, I decide to give it one more shot. I bought (UGREEN USB C to USB C Cable, 60W Type C PD Fast Charging Cord), it worked with all the type c ports without issues.

I guess it might have something to do with certain brands of cable.

Personally I prefer the look of TEMAI cable.
Please let me know if you have any solutions without changing the cable.

It's probably the phone. I have an Oneplus 7 Pro also and it does this. HOWEVER I don't plug it in, I use a wireless charging dock (with a wireless charging mod on my phone). Anyway it does this on wireless charging all the time, I just thought is was losing connection with the wireless pad but it does this on every pad I have.

I have never plugged it in to the USB-C ports in the car but I guess I can test it one day.