Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online Configurator Disabled 1800EST 11-05-14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They discontinued the RWD P85?!? I have to say I'm a bit shocked. Certainly the P85D is a beast, but there's a pretty good number of people who set out to buy fast RWD cars (see BMW Ms, Mercedes AMGs, etc.).

That said, at $10k, a lot of us used to mention how cheap the extra performance was compared to other luxury brands. I guess Tesla took that to heart. The $25k upgrade is more in line with what others charge for their performance trim. It's a shame, though, IMO.

I have a feeling the resale value of my P85 just went up. Well, I can hope anyway! lol...
I was thinking the same. Given the huge gap between the 85D and P85D, both in terms of price and performance, I can't help but think there's still a market for the RWD P85. And that market will now need to be served exclusively by used vehicles. Certainly won't hurt our resale.

Wow.. they did the exact opposite of what I was campaigning them to do -- which is re-introduce the P85+ separate from the P85 and P85D.

My suggestion was to restore the P85 and P85D for dual drive, and the P85+ and P85D+... so if people wanted the performance but not the +, they could get it in RWD and AWD versions.

I'm very sad about this development. The jump from 85/85D to P85D is now huge. But yeah, might have a positive impact on P85 and P85+ resale values since they are no longer available as new.

Just got off the phone with my Owner Advisor. Based on the information he has it looks like I won't be able to get my 85D in green. Vehicles that have End of Line dates in 2015 are going to get contacted by Inside Sales to figure out how they can receive their options or how to reconfigure their options. He takes that to mean that vehicles with end of line dates in 2015 won't be able to get the discontinued options. Basically, I'm likely going to be in the position of choosing between my color or AWD.

Just got off the phone with my Owner Advisor. Based on the information he has it looks like I won't be able to get my 85D in green. Vehicles that have End of Line dates in 2015 are going to get contacted by Inside Sales to figure out how they can receive their options or how to reconfigure their options. He takes that to mean that vehicles with end of line dates in 2015 won't be able to get the discontinued options. Basically, I'm likely going to be in the position of choosing between my color or AWD.

Aargh. Haven't been contacted yet but, will be sorry to have to let go of the Green. Hmm... steel grey is the best I can do, it looks like. Bummer.

This certainly surprised me. The increased range from 215 to 225 miles at 65mph was well received when AWD was first announced. Any thoughts on why the 60D was discontinued?

That range is in warm weather climates, where AWD is not necessary. People who want AWD for the snow wouldn't get that range. A 85D is more practical in climates where AWD is needed.

I'm sorry you just have the worst luck with the timing of Tesla's changes! Don't lose faith though - all that frustration will melt away when you mash the accelerator.

Kudo's to Tesla's Operations Manager for biting the bullet and relieving production line complexity. Three different seating choices was crazy. Pruning the color chart may help the paint center's efficiency, larger batches and fewer color changes / cleanouts. The 60 appears to not be the most common battery size ordered so the S60 is the current "economy" S. All in all, I hope these few constraints will help with meeting production numbers in future quarters.

I just wish for one thing, a darker brown leather seating option. Saddle leather perhaps. And maybe Frunk and Trunk Lights.