Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online order to PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to take the time to briefly share my Tesla Solar story here in San Diego. Just wanted to say thanks to all the people who post their stories and provide information on this forum as it helped immensely when it came to my decision to purchase solar.

So, back on on 07/19/20 I ordered a small system (12 Panels) through the Tesla website for my townhouse where there are 3 units in a single building. The first design, which I received had some issues with the panel layout based on the panels not being in the optimal locations and being on the roof above other units in the building. So, over the course a week and a half, 2 phone calls and receiving two more designs, I approved the design on 08/02/20.

Based on the shared roof situation, I had a couple more HOA hoops to jump through than most, which took some time. Tesla was also a little slow on obtaining the permit from the city. Using my city's citizen access permit site I saw that Tesla had to make 3 revisions to the permit. Tesla was granted the permit by my city on 09/15/20. During that time I was going back and forth with my HOA trying to fulfill their requirements.

My HOA wouldn't approve anything until they had an approved permit from the city, which I had to try and obtain from Tesla. For people having to deal with HOAs, Tesla has a specific email address to provide you things for your HOA and to help you with that process. I found the communication to that specific address to be very slow. I requested the approved permit from Tesla shortly after seeing it was sent by the city but did not hear back from the HOA email address, so I sent a request about 1.5 weeks later to the generic Tesla Energy email. I ended up hearing back from that email with what I requested the same day. So, if you have to deal with the HOA tesla email, I wouldn't wait as long as I did to get a response before just trying the regular "energy order" address.

I ended up submitting everything to my HOA on 09/30/20 for approval. On 10/07/20 I received a partial approval from my HOA, stating they were going to approve the application but I had paperwork to sign off that then had to be signed off on their end until I could have the system installed.

On 11/3/20, I finally received approval from my HOA for the installation. On 11/05/20, I contacted Tesla and was able to schedule installation for 11/12/20. On installation day a crew of 2 showed up around 7:20AM and spoke with me about things. The 2 waited about another 30 minutes until 2 others showed up before they all started working. I was able to go over some specifics about small changes to the panel layout, the location for a conduit run, and where in my garage I wanted the inverter and shutoff installed. At about 1PM the work was done.

The next day (Friday), I received a call and was told the inspection with the city had been scheduled for that coming Monday the 16th. On inspection day, Tesla had someone come out and speak with the inspector who only spent about 5-10 minutes talking to the Tesla rep and looking at my inverter and breaker panel. The work passed inspection and the rep was just told by the inspector to add a couple additional specific red warning signs to the exterior of the building.

Later that day after the inspection I received my invoice from Tesla, which I immediately paid and notification from SDG&E that they had processed a NEM application for me and had received payment for the NEM application fee.

On 11/19/20, I received my PTO from SDG&E and 11/20 was my first day generating electricity from my system

Thanks again for all the info on this forum. I attached some pix of the final install and of my first day of production.

I'm willing to answer any questions to those that have any!

Production.jpg Finished Product.JPG Finished Product 2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Congrats on the solar installation. I can see having a shared roof would likely make HOA approval trickier. Are the panels directly over your living space? Are you the first in your complex to install solar? Curious how things would work if all 3 units wanted solar. The townhouse we lived in, part of 6 units in a line however each with its own roof and roof access, would be a much easier install as far as the roof placement goes. Your situation looks rather unique to me and glad they worked it out for you.

We just got our first PG&E bill reflecting the first days we had our system on. No electricity from the grid used for those days which was fun to see. Viewing the app can be addictive as you learn about your system btw LOL.

Last edited:
Are the panels directly over your living space? Are you the first in your complex to install solar? Curious how things would work if all 3 units wanted solar.

Viewing the app can be addictive as you learn about your system btw LOL.

Yeah, the panels are directly over my living space. That was done by choice, by myself and Tesla. I didn't want to put something above someone else in case there was an issue or leak or something I wouldn't want negatively impact someone else. Tesla also didn't want to do that as well.

Since none of us own the roof technically, the HOA would have allowed me to put panels above other units, but it wasn't something I wanted to do. One of the requirements I had was to provide a "site survey" to show that I'm taking an equitable area of the roof and not taking up too much space or taking just the prime space for panels myself.

And yeah, I've been looking at the app a few times a day. Since I just have solar only, I'm guessing it's normal that the app just updates with info every 15 minutes, and has -- as the current output?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I’m sure that will be important info shared for anyone else in a similar housing situation. I forgot about roofs, and building walls too, being owned by the association (at least was in our case of our townhome condo).

We have solar and Powerwalls so not sure what you get to see at your end. On our solar graph on our phone app we can slide the bar across the graph in 5 minute increments but we have the black Gateway box and the white Gateway2 panel so not sure where the monitoring and reporting is coming from.

Last edited: