Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online survey on fostering and improving electric vehicles and the adoption of its services (Tesla cars as case study).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Australian Tesla owners,

My name is Awatif Khalid Alotaibi from the Information System School, Queensland University of Technology (QUT). I’m doing a PhD research project for Electric Vehicle ecosystems.
In this online survey, we ask questions about your electric vehicle adoption and issues related to services and privacy. Electric vehicle ecosystems loosely couple electric vehicle owners, insurers, energy companies, service stations, car dealers, social media groups, transport and main roads departments.
In this study, electric vehicle owners are the main focus and their experience and knowledge of services such as contracts, capabilities and warranties, and privacy policies and practices during the use of services such as charging, maintenance, roadside assistance, or self-driving capabilities.

This survey will take 20 minutes and I recommend you complete the survey in one go.

If you are interested in participating follow this link to the survey or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: Preview - Qualtrics Survey | Qualtrics Experience Management

If you have any questions, please contact me via this email: [email protected].

Please note that this study has been approved by the QUT Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number 2000000460).

Many thanks for your consideration of this request.

We normally don’t approve survey requests for various reasons, but the OP has convinced me that this is a legitimate survey.
Having said that, I or TMC don’t have the ability to fully vet the veracity of any external survey, so members participate at their own risk.

Reactions: Hairyman
I got a fair way through it, but the questions don't quite sit right with me. Hard to explain, but they're a bit weird and seem like the results could be taken with different meanings than the respondents intended. Some questions can be interpreted in different ways, some seem conditional or contingent on another thing being true, some just don't really seem to be asked in a way that makes sense to the Tesla experience.

My name is Awatif Khalid Alotaibi from the Information System School, Queensland University of Technology (QUT). I’m doing a PhD research project for Electric Vehicle ecosystems.
In this online survey, we ask questions about your electric vehicle adoption and issues related to services and privacy. Electric vehicle ecosystems loosely couple electric vehicle owners, insurers, energy companies, service stations, car dealers, social media groups, transport and main roads departments.
In this study, electric vehicle owners are the main focus and their experience and knowledge of services such as contracts, capabilities and warranties, and privacy policies and practices during the use of services such as charging, maintenance, roadside assistance, or self-driving capabilities.

This survey will take 20 minutes and I recommend you complete the survey in one go.

If you are interested in participating follow this link to the survey or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: Preview - Qualtrics Survey | Qualtrics Experience Management

Please note that this study has been approved by the QUT Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number 2000000460).

This is not a EV survey...it's a majority totally agree or disagree if Tesla or any good or not...5 pages in an the Strongly disagree or agree if I shoul put the boot in to Tesla or not and I click on the red X...plenty of other EV's to not be just singling out Tesla anymore Awatif.....I agree with @corndog

I got a fair way through it, but the questions don't quite sit right with me. Hard to explain, but they're a bit weird and seem like the results could be taken with different meanings than the respondents intended. Some questions can be interpreted in different ways, some seem conditional or contingent on another thing being true, some just don't really seem to be asked in a way that makes sense to the Tesla experience.
For me the questions started to get incessant and possibly biased. I bailed and didn’t finish it.

Reactions: corndog
Agree far more about privacy and trust.

I'd hope they are doing similar questions against a control of other manufacturers.

While Tesla may take a lot of information, it's far less than what Google, Apple and Facebook collect every day
So it is a survey about Telsa and if owners think they’re crap or not and it is not really about EVs in general? Got it…glad I bailed...

Last edited:
I have no intention of doing the survey, but survey design is a science. And a complex one at that. You can’t just write a bunch of random, poorly worded questions and expect to acquire any reliable data or robust knowledge from it. From the posts here, it sounds like this survey is not well designed or constructed.

Properly constructed surveys have, for example, questions inserted at different points that test the answers to some previous questions in a subtle way. They are used to either weed out responses from people who are being dishonest or not answering consistently. Also properly written survey questions have no ambiguity - no possibility that two different people could read the same question and think it means the opposite.

Reactions: Wol747

I'd hope they are doing similar questions against a control of other manufacturers.

While Tesla may take a lot of information, it's far less than what Google, Apple and Facebook collect every day
Thanks for your comment. As I mentioned in the title, Tesla is a single study, but it is a good example, for all CASE car manufacturers
and I am pretty sure the results of this survey are beneficial for these manufacturers to address users' concerns and preferences.

For me the questions started to get incessant and possibly biased. I bailed and didn’t finish it.
I respect your opinion but I believe the survey is not biased since I covered the whole perspective.
For your information, I design this survey based on interview data from 20 partcipats who own Tesla cars from Australia, and this survey to validate the findings from the qualitative data (interview data). So, I gave seven options to agree or disagree, and you will contribute to this knowledge and give us your opinion.

That is true Tesla is not like other companies in terms of gathering data, and there are questions interpreted that which is the perceived benefits and trust in the privacy pretection.
I am delight to read that you consider this survey, Thanks.

So it is a survey about Telsa and if owners think they’re crap or not and it is not really about EVs in general? Got it…glad I bailed...
It is not only about Tesla, it will contribute to all CASE cars design and built, But we conducted a single study for Tesla because Tesla has the highest market value of all vehicle manufacturers: Most valuable car brands worldwide by brand value 2021 | Statista.

It is not only about Tesla, it will contribute to all CASE cars design and built, But we conducted a single study for Tesla because Tesla has the highest market value of all vehicle manufacturers: Most valuable car brands worldwide by brand value 2021 | Statista.
Firstly, if it’s not only about Tesla then why are all your questions mainly related to Tesla this and Tesla that focused and often in the negative context…..e.g. Do you think Tesla is service is terrible with a agree not at all to completely agree….why not Do you think Tesla service is good with the same range or answer options….one of the most ill thought out surveys.

Second, before starting the survey it clearly stated it’s a general survey about EVs, no it is not.

Lastly, my response was sarcastic…you are seriously in the midst of a PHD and did not pick this up? I believe we’ve been mislead and this thread should be removed….

Firstly, if it’s not only about Tesla then why are all your questions mainly related to Tesla this and Tesla that focused and often in the negative context…..e.g. Do you think Tesla is service is terrible with a agree not at all to completely agree….why not Do you think Tesla service is good with the same range or answer options….one of the most ill thought out surveys.

Second, before starting the survey it clearly stated it’s a general survey about EVs, no it is not.

Lastly, my response was sarcastic…you are seriously in the midst of a PHD and did not pick this up? I believe we’ve been mislead and this thread should be removed….
Sir, I just try to summary the goal of the topic and make a conversation with you.
Sir, you have not been misled. I meant using a single case as Tesla helps us to study user adoption deeply and this club is for Tesla Motor. Am I Right? Tesla is our focus but the results will be beneficial for all car manufacturers.

Sir, I just try to summary the goal of the topic and make a conversation with you.
Sir, you have not been misled. I meant using a single case as Tesla helps us to study user adoption deeply and this club is for Tesla Motor. Am I Right? Tesla is our focus but the results will be beneficial for all car manufacturers.
Then why the negative pushed questions? How does that help the EV industry at large?

I call BS….I’m checking out of the thread….it should be removed…

I am an early adopter and I think the survey touches on issues that ordinary people are concerned about.
Mods should check on this poster's IP. Seems very suspicious.

The phrasing of some of the questions are incredibly biased. If you really are doing your PHD you can basically throw away this survey as evidence.

For example:

I am concerned because Tesla keeps changing the rules for electric vehicle owners, such as the period of warranty.
(1) Strongly Disagree
(2) Disagree
(3) Somewhat disagree
(4) Neutral
(5) Somewhat agree
(6) Agree
(7) Strongly Agree

This question implies that as a matter of fact Tesla "keep changing the period of warranty" when in fact they do not.

There is a tone throughout the entire survey that risk of data theft, data leakage or any other mis-use of personal data is in fact higher with a Tesla than with another vehicle manufacturer. There is no basis for this. Why mention Tesla at all? Why not phrase the questions as

"Did Tesla's proven track record on security and privacy influence your decision in buying your vehicle?" Note that sentence would be biased too but just the other way around. If you are going to be biased in one direction, you have to have a balance the other way too so that your results aren't polluted with inherent negative bias.

Reactions: Awatif