TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Only 1.3 million miles on autopilot in summer 2016?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by flyeyes, Jul 3, 2016.

1. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

This might have been discussed in the autopilot accident thread, but I kinda stopped reading after the signal:noise ratio dropped off after a few pages.

I was struck by the 1.3 million miles reported on autopilot. That seems an astonishingly low number to me.

All of the 50,000 or so cars tesla produced in 2015 have autopilot software. Throw in the last few months of 2014 and the cars produced in the first half of 2016 and that's maybe 75,000 AP equipped cars.

Conservatively estimating that 50,000 of the cars have paid for the AP, 1.3 million miles is only 26 miles per car.

I'm a low mileage driver, I live very close to my work, and have made very few road trips in the tesla since I live in a part of the country with very limited supercharging available. Of the 7,000 miles I've put on the car since the AP was activated I'd guess that at least 1,000 miles and probably twice that have been with the autopilot on. Probably 75% of my highway driving is on the autopilot.

Am I really that much of an outlier?

2. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

I keep seeing the number 130 million mentioned, did you drop some zeros?

3. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

#3 flyeyes, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Oops, yes. Not enough coffee this morning. The number still seems low to me though.

I have have close to the average, and I suspect I'm an outlier on the low side, since my daily commute is less than a mile (I frequently walk). I have only made a couple of long distance trips since until recently there were no superchargers within 200 miles, but most of my hi way driving is using the autopilot.

Assuming 75,000 autopilot cars averaging 1000 miles a month, the fleet is adding 75 million mile every month. I would have guessed a higher proportion with the AP engaged.

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Not every person bought the option for their car. I, for one, rarely use it.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So the OPs estimate becomes 2,600 miles on AP per potentially AP-equipped car (since it is an option that not everyone gets). Considering that some of those cars do not have AP, many of those cars are relatively new, some owners have it but rarely use it, and some owners primarily do local non-freeway trips, that number

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

We haven't had a summer yet with AP.

AP was released in Oct of 2015.

Plus it only counts as AP driving if the full autopilot is on, and not just TACC. I'm someone that doesn't use either during my commute, and during road trips I mainly use TACC.

On my 2015 Model S I have 20K miles, and of those probably about 10K is TACC only. Maybe 1K-2K is AP, and the rest is normal driving without either.