Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 2 Superchargers Under Construction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
supercharge.info lists only 2 Supercharger sites under construction in the USA, in California. 13 others under permit. Things have slowed.:frown:

I'm getting very tired of saying this, but just once more: We don't know how many sites are under construction. Tesla doesn't tell anyone. supercharge.info is crowdsourced, and very good at what it does, but doesn't have a connection to get up to date information about what's actually being worked on. Note that a couple of "surprise" supercharger construction/upgrades happened in the last couple of weeks, after other people started talking about the apparent slowdown. There is another thread about this already.

Actually USA is doing fine in terms of number of supercharger stalls keeping up with number of Teslas on the road. I created this graph yesterday. I'm posting it for the first time here. In the USA, currently there are 64,664 Teslas and 1701 supercharger stalls. That means 38.02 Teslas per supercharger stall. USA is doing better than Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands.

FTzSgbp.gif

Last edited:
Two other charts are needed to complete the picture:

1. Trip distance within the country vs. number of SCs. (The idea here is that if the number of long trips are few than a lower ratio of cars/SCs is not an issue--on my last long trip I used 22 unique SCs, more common are 5-7 unique on a trip).

2. Congestion vs. number of SCs. (This one is how many depend on SCs for daily charging because there are no facilities where they live (apartments and condos).

We don't know how many sites are under construction. Tesla doesn't tell anyone. supercharge.info is crowdsourced.

I take your point, but this seems unlikely to explain all of the present slowdown. The fact you cite was true before the current apparent slowdown, as well. For this to explain the present observations, you'd have to assume that Tesla was suddenly doing all of their construction in obscure areas.

I take your point, but this seems unlikely to explain all of the present slowdown. The fact you cite was true before the current apparent slowdown, as well. For this to explain the present observations, you'd have to assume that Tesla was suddenly doing all of their construction in obscure areas.

You mean like the huge gaps in the southwest? Many places where Tesla isn't allowed to sell and therefore doesn't have a lot of owners who hang out on forums and know to report on supercharge.info, etc?

You mean like the huge gaps in the southwest?

This is absolutely possible. Not denying it.

My point is that it was also possible back in the fall, when we generally had more construction visible on sc.net. If this is the explanation for the current apparent slowdown, then you have to assume that construction has shifted from visible areas to obscure ones. This might be true, of course, but I personally think it'd be an unlikely coincidence for it to account for all of the decreased reporting of construction.

I think it's possible that Tesla is hoping to improve Q1 numbers by temporarily pulling back on SC construction for a quarter. I can see them thinking that the SC buildout can absorb a slow quarter, whereas they don't want to consecutive quarters showing a net loss in EPS.

Last edited:
Even though it's almost 70 degrees here in the suburbs of Boston today, it IS technically still winter.

I'm not sure if it works this way everywhere, but in some places, your permit to build is only valid for a certain amount of time (depending on scope of the project).

So, for example, if you know your project takes 14 days (just a rough guess, not a solid number, work with me here)...and you know you can't guarantee 14 days of weather good enough to work in over the next 90 (uuuhhhhh....WINTER), why would you pull permits in the northern states from Nov-Mar?

Since this thread started, it appears efforts have again ramped up, and now that winter is winding down, expect to see some blue dots and orange cones on the map up north, too.

Delaware welcome center 10 additional SC's being setup

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not ( I tried search) noticed a large supercharger site under construction in Delaware at the welcome center , think I counted 10 stalls . Took a picture I will post. these are adjacent to the original stalls put in some time ago . The new stalls are on the south i95 side. There was a crew of 3-4 working actively and I saw tall wooden crates that appear to be the actual SC's.

- - - Updated - - -

scsite.jpg
at least 11 to 12 stalls

You're right

supercharge.info lists only 2 Supercharger sites under construction in the USA, in California. 13 others under permit. Things have slowed.:frown:

My count shows only 3 supercharger activities so far this month (March 2016).

Other months:
Feb 2016 8
Jan 2016 9
Dec 2015 21
Nov 2015 22
Oct 2015 23
Sep 2015 23
Aug 2015 22
Jul 2015 16
Jun 2015 20
May 2015 16
Apr 2015 19

de W0QR

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not ( I tried search) noticed a large supercharger site under construction in Delaware at the welcome center , think I counted 10 stalls . Took a picture I will post. these are adjacent to the original stalls put in some time ago . The new stalls are on the south i95 side. There was a crew of 3-4 working actively and I saw tall wooden crates that appear to be the actual SC's.

at least 11 to 12 stalls

That is an expansion of the Newark supercharger. They are either going from 4 to 12 or 16 stalls. There is some question about what will happen to the original 4. There are many pictures in the supercharger thread on the mid-Atlantic forum and a very active discussion.