Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 6 radio station presets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you can have many, many "favorites." Is this different from "presets"? I find I have so many "favorites," that sometimes it's hard to find the right one! Plus, I love the Slacker app on my phone for streaming through the house and the website to use on my computer. There are more options there than in the car, too. Just a thought to try it, you might like it!

Well, don't look now but I hear that the Model X drops the AM band altogether. Between that and the limited number of presets, I think Tesla is trying to drop a hint. I to like the unexpected nature of radio, but I can't stand commercials -- so Spotify via Bluetooth it is.

But you can have many, many "favorites." Is this different from "presets"? I find I have so many "favorites," that sometimes it's hard to find the right one! Plus, I love the Slacker app on my phone for streaming through the house and the website to use on my computer. There are more options there than in the car, too. Just a thought to try it, you might like it!

It would sure be nice if the favorites list could be edited or re-ordered.

I had 10+ in my old Volvo.. I can't imagine there's only 6 in the Tesla?

I had the same complaint my first week...couldn't figure out how to pare down 10 stations to 6. So I programmed the unusual stations in (Local station with talk show and Jack FM) and forgot about the rest. Slacker offers enough channels that I really don't need pop or top 40 or rock stations on the radio anymore since they have so many choices for each.

I bet if you stopped to consider your 10 radio stations...there are probably several stations that Slacker has an acceptable replacement for. Maybe not all of them, but enough to get you down to 6.

(But yeah, it would have been nice to have more presets...seems rather silly/simple that it isn't an option)

As I read the comments to this posting, I see the same old Tesla answer: tesla thinks you shouldn't rely on terrestrial radio, so screw you. Instead rely on the internet instead where you can gave unlimited "favorites" -- so live with their six station preset limit, even though it would be a pretty simple software fix for them to give us 10 or 15 presets (people have been asking for this simple fix for years). By the way, if it is true this the model X doesn't have AM, I note that there are places where my AM and FM work and Internet radio doesn't.

Nice thing about the presets is that you can cycle through with the steering wheel controls. No need to look at the screen.

Favorites requires you to look over, touch the favorite tab, scroll down on the screen, and pick the station.

Not sure I remember how I did this but I was able to cycle through Favorites on the steering wheel. I think I used the >> button and I have zero presets.

I can pretty much find any radio station (local or national) on TuneIn plus it's clearer.
I've never played with TuneIn and see it's an option but when I access it via the scroll button, nothing happens. Do I have to sign up for an account or was this setup by Tesla like it was with Slacker?

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to get used to Favorites and how it handles it. You're right, it can store a lot! Maybe too many if you're driving and scrolling thru it takes your eyes off the road more than you should. I also noticed my presets are in Favorites. I can definitely store more than 10 there but I have to figure out if it can be accessed via the steering wheel. I hate having to take the my eyes off the road for too long, especially to play with a scroll bar.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice thing about the presets is that you can cycle through with the steering wheel controls. No need to look at the screen.

Favorites requires you to look over, touch the favorite tab, scroll down on the screen, and pick the station.
^^^^ Exactly! I would not do this for safety reasons. Even with AP enabled, I wouldn't do it. Maybe in a few months/years I'll get more confidence with AP but until then, I'm still the driver!

It'd be nice if the radio could display the station call sign or some ID, or what song is playing like my 18 y/o BMW can do! I mean for normal FM stations, not digital radio which we don't seem to have in this part of Canada, yet. That and the 3-band equalizer. LOL. I'm in a sarcastic mood tonight, driven partially by the inability for my iPhone to contact the car 20 ft away in my garage. But this is all true.

I've never played with TuneIn and see it's an option but when I access it via the scroll button, nothing happens. Do I have to sign up for an account or was this setup by Tesla like it was with Slacker?

1. Install the free TuneIn app on your phone
2. Create a free account
3. Search for your favorite stations and click the "follow" button
4. Open the Media app in your cars settings
5. Find TuneIn and use the same ID/pw you created in #2

You should see the stations you "follow" from #3 in your Favorites

It'd be nice if the radio could display the station call sign or some ID, or what song is playing like my 18 y/o BMW can do! I mean for normal FM stations, not digital radio which we don't seem to have in this part of Canada, yet. That and the 3-band equalizer. LOL. I'm in a sarcastic mood tonight, driven partially by the inability for my iPhone to contact the car 20 ft away in my garage. But this is all true.
The information about the artist/song seems to be dependent on the radio station and what they broadcast. Even on my old car which did show artist/song (no picture of the album), it was dependent on the radio station and whether they broadcast that information. The same radio stations for which I was getting artist/song in my previous car I am getting that information plus the album cover (I believe since I don't buy albums anymore; does anyone??).

I've not had a problem with the mobile Tesla app connecting to my car yet. It's over the internet so it seems like it shouldn't be proximity dependent?

- - - Updated - - -

1. Install the free TuneIn app on your phone
2. Create a free account
3. Search for your favorite stations and click the "follow" button
4. Open the Media app in your cars settings
5. Find TuneIn and use the same ID/pw you created in #2

You should see the stations you "follow" from #3 in your Favorites
I'll try that, thanks!