Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only charging to 302 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner here. I've had my Model 3 for about 48 hours and decided to charge to 100% overnight to determine the max range. Discovered that a full charge was only 302 miles! Is this normal for a brand new car with less than 100 miles? Will further driving increase it to the rated 310, or will it only decrease from here?

Driving style also has a big effect on range. Power needed to maintain a constant speed is a square law function (proportional to speed squared). This post provides a bunch of data on Tesla models: Range of the Tesla Model S/X/3 at 65/70/75/80 mph ♞. As you can see, it is possible to exceed 310 mi by a fair margin, but this requires what some would start to call hypermiling. Before you ask, the same physics applies to ice cars. It’s just more noticeable with EV‘s since they are already so efficient, incremental improvements in factors such as driving style are more obvious. The good news is that if you ever find yourself short on range, you can simply slow down and get more miles from your remaining charge.

Driving style also has a big effect on range. Power needed to maintain a constant speed is a square law function (proportional to speed squared). This post provides a bunch of data on Tesla models: Range of the Tesla Model S/X/3 at 65/70/75/80 mph ♞. As you can see, it is possible to exceed 310 mi by a fair margin, but this requires what some would start to call hypermiling. Before you ask, the same physics applies to ice cars. It’s just more noticeable with EV‘s since they are already so efficient, incremental improvements in factors such as driving style are more obvious. The good news is that if you ever find yourself short on range, you can simply slow down and get more miles from your remaining charge.
True but irrelevant. Driving style has no effect on the rated range displayed on the battery meter, which is what the OP was asking about.
Also @SSedan, cold temp doesn’t cause range to be underreported, it actually has a lower range at colder temps.

Power needed to maintain a constant speed is a square law function (proportional to speed squared).
@Brian Anderson, sorry to pile on and be pedantic; but I need to add that the power needed is proportional to the cube of the speed. It's the energy consumption that is a function of the square of the speed.

This is illustrated in the following graphs, which are created from a model of the Model 3 LR power requirements.

05cuPEk.png

• Love
Reactions: thanar
First time Tesla owner here. I've had my Model 3 for about 48 hours and decided to charge to 100% overnight to determine the max range. Discovered that a full charge was only 302 miles! Is this normal for a brand new car with less than 100 miles? Will further driving increase it to the rated 310, or will it only decrease from here?

I would consider this odd... odd enough to ask Tesla. Give them a call and ask engineering to examine the logs of your car.

@Brian Anderson, sorry to pile on and be pedantic; but I need to add that the power needed is proportional to the cube of the speed. It's the energy consumption that is a function of the square of the speed.

This is illustrated in the following graphs, which are created from a model of the Model 3 LR power requirements.

05cuPEk.png

Also sorry and also pedantic... :)

Only the aero drag portion is proportional to the square of speed.

The overall energy/distance (e.g., Wh/mile) relationship to speed is less than square.

Reactions: Zoomit
True but irrelevant. Driving style has no effect on the rated range displayed on the battery meter, which is what the OP was asking about.
Also @SSedan, cold temp doesn’t cause range to be underreported, it actually has a lower range at colder temps.
Cold definitely does increase energy use, living near Green Bay I am well aware.
In the 7 months I have owned the car I have seen a number of references to the battery being cold as in a lot colder than 60F can cause an under report, presumably the cold reduces voltage by slowing the chemical reaction.

I haven't stressed about it but I have noticed that on colder mornings the car is a few miles down from charge level when I open the app. I know most choose to end charging in the morning but for my situation charging as soon as I get home is better, and I preheat off the wall in the morning.

It takes a while for the algorithm to get all of its data points. It also helps to drive the car down to 20 miles or so. You will find that it will get a more accurate picture in another few weeks. Mine is a month old+ and will charge up to about 315, though I charge now to 80%.

After a week of owning my M3, charged it to 100% just to see what the max range would indicate - got 315 miles well. But now charging to about 80% as well.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I’m now down to 296 max range. SC took a look and said degradation was normal for my VIN range but I’m becoming slightly concerned.

Anyone else seeing this level of degradation this early on? My vehicle has less than 550 miles.
I’m curious what VIN you have and what difference it makes to degradation or total range? I have VIN #59xx and the most I’ve seen is 305 miles max range. I haven’t noticed any degradation, and haven’t thought much about the max range of 305 (vs the advertised 310) until seeing other posts that were higher than advertised.