Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only Default Stations Showing in Tunein

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a total newb when it comes to Tunein. I am tired of paying the exorbitant fees to Sirius for the 2-4 stations that I ever listen to in the car (Model X, 2017). Saw the Tunein option on the Tesla menu and decided to look into it.

On PC, registered for free Tunein account, and saw the wealth of available channels there (and on Android phone, too, AAMOF). After creating a TuneIn account, signed in to Tunein account in the Tesla with no difficulty. However, all I see is what looks like a small set of what I'd call "sample" stations. I did a reset/reboot of car, and nothing changed.

What do I have to do in the Tesla to get all the Tunein channels I see when I tune in to Tunein via PC or phone?

Have you tried using the search option for music (bottom right when you expand the music window)? Or asking the car to play a certain artist, station, or whatnot?

The GUI for music doesn't really show much.

Have not tried that. My concern is that the Tesla app (?) only shows about 5 channels, and just a few categories. Not at all what I see on phone or PC. I *really* want to get rid of Sirius/XM, and the free Tunein looks like a good first step in that direction...

I just logged in recently myself. While I do not see the 'Favorites' I picked via the PC interface I see a large list per below and can star them to be a favorite in the car. (2017 X)
1) Can you use the 'Browse' option and click any of these selections below to see a large list. I do.
2) Can you use the search 'Any Music' option in the lower right and see a large list. I do.

p3eswnF.jpg

I just logged in recently myself. While I do not see the 'Favorites' I picked via the PC interface I see a large list per below and can star them to be a favorite in the car. (2017 X)
1) Can you use the 'Browse' option and click any of these selections below to see a large list. I do.
2) Can you use the search 'Any Music' option in the lower right and see a large list. I do.

p3eswnF.jpg

Yes - I can do both of those, and I do get essentially the same results that you do. What I *don't* get, however, are the same results as I get when using the Tunein app on my PC or phone. E.g., CNN (the news source - not the music channel) does not appear. I have no problem getting CNN on Tunein on phone, and bluetoothing it to Tesla Phone input for music app, but that's really not what I'd rather do.

Yes - I can do both of those, and I do get essentially the same results that you do. What I *don't* get, however, are the same results as I get when using the Tunein app on my PC or phone. E.g., CNN (the news source - not the music channel) does not appear. I have no problem getting CNN on Tunein on phone, and bluetoothing it to Tesla Phone input for music app, but that's really not what I'd rather do.
OK. It was confusing because you were describing only getting a few things but with what I showed gives you 100s.

Correct, you have to search and/or ask. Browsing isn't going to work well - keep in mind, the system, while you're driving, still has to comply with usability and distraction-free capabilities...

The best bet - search for what you want. The results will be from all music sources.