Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ONLY EV NO GAS CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

grkrama

May 18, 2023
il
Can we only have a EV only car in a house hold without having gas car.
No level2 charger installed in home.
Actually I am thinking of moving to EV only car, I don’t have home charging option. As electrician said house didn’t have enough juice to install 40amp breaker. He can installed 20 amp breaker and I will get only 12 amp delivered for the charge. What should be done?

Actually I am thinking of moving to EV only car, I don’t have home charging option. As electrician said house didn’t have enough juice to install 40amp breaker. He can installed 20 amp breaker and I will get only 12 amp delivered for the charge. What should be done?
20 amp 240V should be plenty.

20Amp gives you 16A and at 240V

Model 3 that’s 15 mph charging. 150 miles in 10 hours.

I charge on a regular wall outlet in my garage (have to downrate to 9 amps to keep the UMC happy, approx 1kW). It's enough to cover my 20 min commute to work every day. If you do anything more than that, do whatever you need to do to get an proper home charging in your home. Even as little as 30amp at 240v (7kW) will take you from 0-100% overnight (which you'll liekly rarely do).

Hope it all works out for you. Here are some ideas.

Would there be a dryer outlet that you can time share charging with the dryer?
Here is a switch that may make this easy.

1684503147052.png

Do you have an electrical range that you can share power with? Is there a possibility to switch the dryer or range to gas to free up some power in the panel?

Then the last idea I was thinking for you is to see if a DIY solar install may work at your location. With battery backup and a few panels, there may be enough power to keep the vehicles happy and not burden the main home system. This option may have the biggest expense but you will be running the vehicles off of sunshine from there on out.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Are you in USA? Virtually all houses have 240V. The same wires which accomodate 120V can do 240V if reconfigured at the box. If you have a dedicated circuit, your electrician should be able to convert it to 240V. Even at 15-16 A (a 20A breaker should be OK for 15-16A), 15A * 240V is often enough. I would do that.

Even a L1 of 120*12V is a home charging option (which I did for two years on a previous low range EV), though not great.

If you want to make it work, you can.

Are you in USA? Virtually all houses have 240V. The same wires which accomodate 120V can do 240V if reconfigured at the box. If you have a dedicated circuit, your electrician should be able to convert it to 240V. Even at 15-16 A (a 20A breaker should be OK for 15-16A), 15A * 240V is often enough. I would do that.

Even a L1 of 120*12V is a home charging option (which I did for two years on a previous low range EV), though not great.

Ya I am in USA .. The electrician who visited my home to provide a quote suggested that due to the limited power capacity in the condominium, they can only install a 20-amp breaker, which should provide a charging rate of approximately 12 miles per hour.

Not sure about my my main panel capacity

In general, you have a main circuit breaker outside next to your meter.
This way, all the main circuit breakers for each unit are accessible to a fireman to turn off power.

This circuit breaker provides the Amp capacity of the panel in your home.
Could you report the value number that you can read on this outside circuit breaker and how many poles it has.

And also, can you list the number of circuit breakers you have on your main panel.
In particulars the ones bigger than 15A or 20A.
You should have some 30A/40A/50A, Check if they are single pole or dual poles.
And if any labels are writen down, like Oven or Dryer...

Also do you have any appliances than can run at anytime during the night,
like Air Conditioning, Electrical Heaters, Dryer, extra Freezer...

Last edited:
I charge on a regular wall outlet in my garage (have to downrate to 9 amps to keep the UMC happy, approx 1kW). It's enough to cover my 20 min commute to work every day. If you do anything more than that, do whatever you need to do to get an proper home charging in your home. Even as little as 30amp at 240v (7kW) will take you from 0-100% overnight (which you'll liekly rarely do).
This. I live fine on my level 2 at 3kw. if 20 amp is all you're able to get, it'll still be fine for daily driving.

As electrician said house didn’t have enough juice to install 40amp breaker. He can installed 20 amp breaker and I will get only 12 amp delivered for the charge. What should be done?
That should be enough, but it depends on how far you drive on your regular daily route. It would be enough for most people.

I was able to live very happily driving electric only, without doing any charging at home, in the city and to work......I used work and public chargers. Less convenient, but it only took 1-2 hours a week in charging, and the benefits of driving electric were worth it to me.

In another post you wrote 12 miles per hour rather than 12A.
So will that be a 240V 20A circuit? If so it can absolutely be more than enough for many people.

How many miles do you typically drive in a day?

Then another relevant question is, do you have to deal with long outages in winter?