Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only getting 4/12 A charging on Model 3 Gen 2 Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried plugging directly into 110v outlet in garage. Then confirmed I turned off all other appliances and devices on the same circuit. Then used a 25ft 10 AWG extension cord (yes a very thick 10 gauge) to try other 110v outlets in the house. Still only getting 4/12 A charging! Set max charging to 12A. House is 20 years old, but with a 200A service.

Tried plugging directly into 110v outlet in garage. Then confirmed I turned off all other appliances and devices on the same circuit.

Its showing 119v. No other appliances are on the same circuit. Tried other outlets in the house as well. Still only 4/12 A.

These two comments are not the same. "All other devices are off on that circuit" is not anywhere near the same thing as "this is a dedicated circuit". Please see @Sophias_dad 's post again, paying attention to the part I bolded. " I turned everything off on that circuit" is not the same thing as "its a dedicated circuit. Its likely its daisy chained as you, yourself stated " i turned off other appliances and devices".

What sort of voltage is the car reporting? If its a daisy-chained outlet, any marginal connection along the way will rob voltage and be a potential fire hazard.

BTW, its a 120V outlet.

4/12 and reading 119V is indeed a surprise. Is the 119 right when it starts (and isn't drawing power yet), or after it has stabilized at 4/12 ? If you watch it as it ramps up, does it ever get to 12 amps, and what is the lowest voltage that you see during ramp up?

Tried plugging directly into 110v outlet in garage. Then confirmed I turned off all other appliances and devices on the same circuit. Then used a 25ft 10 AWG extension cord (yes a very thick 10 gauge) to try other 110v outlets in the house. Still only getting 4/12 A charging! Set max charging to 12A. House is 20 years old, but with a 200A service.
Symptoms not exactly identical, but the last time we saw this it was a loose neutral in the mains (there were other warnings but it may depend on problem severity).
HELP! Getting 0-1kw from 200 amp service on 110v

Obviously, rule out the UMC by trying it at another house…

Rule out the car by charging elsewhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
4/12 and reading 119V is indeed a surprise. Is the 119 right when it starts (and isn't drawing power yet), or after it has stabilized at 4/12 ? If you watch it as it ramps up, does it ever get to 12 amps, and what is the lowest voltage that you see during ramp up?
It shows 119V when I first plug in and fluctuates around 117 at the lowest. It never gets to 12 amps, it starts ramping up and always stops at 4. I have tried moving up the max amps when charging with no luck.

At this point I would try your UMC in a different Tesla. Also try another UMC at your home if you can. If you get a chance to try another UMC, be sure to swap pigtail adapters to see if it is the adapter or the UMC itself. If not possible, you may have to take it to a Service Center and let them try it out.

Don't forget to post how it turns out.