Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only getting 6kW from a 30kW charger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulesVerne

Model Y Owner - since Aug 14, 2021
Jun 6, 2021
Toronto
I'm in Halifax,NS on a roadtrip from Toronto. Arrived in town with 18% soc, and am down to 12%.
Today I visited 3 charging locations.
1 a Flo 6kW charger, and I was getting the promised 6kW. After about 15 minutes, and $0.36. I unplugged to try a faster charger..
I got to a Dalhousie U., Eaton, purported 30kW charger according to Plugshare, but I still only got 6kW.
I stayed for 45min, and left my disappointed comments on Plugshare.
Now I am at a Halifax Public Library, Eaton charger, again purported to be 30kW on Plugshare, and am getting only 6kW.

Why is that? My Y charges at 40amp on my home 14-50amp. It Super charges great!
Why can't I get 30kW on the road!
Is something wrong?

Attachments

• 20210831_222833.jpg
    20210831_222833.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 273
Sounds like you are using the J1227J1772 adapter with these chargers? If so, then you are only using the Level 2 charging level which most chargers cap at 6 to 7 kW. There are some that go up to 10 kW but those are rare for public charger.

You can get up to 50 kW if you have a CHAdeMO adapter to use with a charger with CHAdeMO plug.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I'm in Halifax,NS on a roadtrip from Toronto. Arrived in town with 18% soc, and am down to 12%.
Today I visited 3 charging locations.
1 a Flo 6kW charger, and I was getting the promised 6kW. After about 15 minutes, and $0.36. I unplugged to try a faster charger..
I got to a Dalhousie U., Eaton, purported 30kW charger according to Plugshare, but I still only got 6kW.
I stayed for 45min, and left my disappointed comments on Plugshare.
Now I am at a Halifax Public Library, Eaton charger, again purported to be 30kW on Plugshare, and am getting only 6kW.

Why is that? My Y charges at 40amp on my home 14-50amp. It Super charges great!
Why can't I get 30kW on the road!
Is something wrong?
I think your‘re confusing Amps and kWh.
Are you sure (Dalhousie U., Eaton and Halifax Library) wasn’t a 30Amp Charger ? If so 6kWh is right on the money.
I can’t say I’ve seen a commercial level 2 EVSE deliver 30kWh. That would be a 125Amp EVSE. NO WAY.

Your statement ……”My Model Y charges at 40amp on my home 14-50 amps…….”
Ok, that is equivalent to only 9.6 kWh.

Or maybe PlugShare is confusing Amps and kWh. No way is PlugShare offering a 30kWh (125Amp) L2 EVSE.
Plugshare does offer a 30 Amp (6KWh) EVSE.

Level 2 is limited to 19kWh.

Last edited:
I think your‘re confusing Amps and kWh.
Are you sure (Dalhousie U., Eaton and Halifax Library) wasn’t a 30Amp Charger ? If so 6kWh is right on the money.
I can’t say I’ve seen a commercial level 2 EVSE deliver 30kWh. That would be a 125Amp EVSE. NO WAY.

Your statement ……”My Model Y charges at 40amp on my home 14-50 amps…….”
Ok, that is equivalent to only 9.6 kWh.

Or maybe PlugShare is confusing Amps and kWh. No way is PlugShare offering a 30kWh (125Amp) L2 EVSE.
Plugshare does offer a 30 Amp (6KWh) EVSE.

Level 2 is limited to 19kWh.
You are right. The Gerard Hall Flo listing on Plugshare says 6.2kW, and the listing for the Public Library says 30amp.
So I was equating those to be the same unit of measure.. and they aren't.
..sorry for the confusion. I'm only 2weeks+ into this ownership and still learning.

So you are saying if I search, I might find a 19kW, but so far I haven't seen one.
... unless I can park for the day, or night at a 6kW, it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm doing a 68km round trip to Enfield to supercharge tomorrow. Best I can do to get me some peace of mind during the rest of the week in Halifax.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are using the J1227J1772 adapter with these chargers? If so, then you are only using the Level 2 charging level which most chargers cap at 6 to 7 kW. There are some that go up to 10 kW but those are rare for public charger.

You can get up to 50 kW if you have a CHAdeMO adapter to use with a charger with CHAdeMO plug.
Yes.. using j1772 adapter. And confusing 6kW in 1 listing with 30amp in another listing. I was told there was a really fast charger in town, and when I looked it up. It was a Flo with CCS and CHAdeMO and I have neither adapter

I'm doing a 68km round trip to Enfield to supercharge tomorrow. Best I can do to get me some peace of mind during the rest of the week in Halifax.

If you can plug into a regular outlet each night, you can add ~10% SOC overnight. If you're there for a week, that would be like going from 20% to 80%.

We recently went to a family reunion for a long weekend, and plugging in each night really gave us peace of mind to drive around, and still comfortably make it back to a Supercharger on the way home.

My final post in this thread has the details, Charging in NC Mountains

So you are saying if I search, I might find a 19kW, but so far I haven't seen one.
... unless I can park for the day, or night at a 6kW, it doesn't seem worth it.

I doubt you’ll find a generic Level 2 EVSE at anything more than about 30Amp.
The exception would be a dedicated Tesla destination charger that is a Level 2 EVSE that could offer as much as 48Amp./ 11.5 kWh. It will have the Tesla plug.

You’ll like the Tesla Supercharger. Of course a Tesla Supercharger is your best bet for traveling. DC direct charging as fast as it gets.
It puts CCS and chademo to shame. Both of which require an adaptor.

Last edited:
I doubt you’ll find a generic Level 2 EVSE at anything more than about 30Amp.
The exception would be a dedicated Tesla destination charger that is a Level 2 EVSE that could offer as much as 48Amp./ 11.5 kWh. It will have the Tesla plug.

You’ll like the Tesla Supercharger. Of course a Tesla Supercharger is your best bet for traveling. DC direct charging as fast as it gets.
It puts CCS and chademo to shame. Both of which require an adaptor.

There are J1772 plugs out there that are rated as high as 80 amps. I know; I've used over a dozen. When Tesla first sold the S, the car came standard with a 40A charger. One could purchase a second 40A charger when the car was configured. I know; I did this. Over the years, Tesla did away with the standard (and additional) 40A chargers. I seem to recall that for a brief period new S and X came with a standard 48A charger with a 72A charger as an option. I think with the release of the Model 3, only 48A chargers were installed. And something sticks in my mind that newer models now come standard with only a 32A charger--I might be mistaken about this, however.

Clipper Creek manufactures vehicle charging stations with many different amperages.

So, our Model S can receive (80A)(240V) or 19.2 kW. On three-phase service, the maximum received will be 16.6 kW.

But, yes, it is the vast majority of J1772 charging plugs that utilize 30A, or 6 kW up to 7.2kW if on 240V service.

There are J1772 plugs out there that are rated as high as 80 amps. I know; I've used over a dozen. When Tesla first sold the S, the car came standard with a 40A charger. One could purchase a second 40A charger when the car was configured. I know; I did this. Over the years, Tesla did away with the standard (and additional) 40A chargers. I seem to recall that for a brief period new S and X came with a standard 48A charger with a 72A charger as an option. I think with the release of the Model 3, only 48A chargers were installed. And something sticks in my mind that newer models now come standard with only a 32A charger--I might be mistaken about this, however.

Clipper Creek manufactures vehicle charging stations with many different amperages.

So, our Model S can receive (80A)(240V) or 19.2 kW. On three-phase service, the maximum received will be 16.6 kW.

But, yes, it is the vast majority of J1772 charging plugs that utilize 30A, or 6 kW up to 7.2kW if on 240V service.
Lol. Quite right!

But…..The OP’s Model Y can‘t demand more than 48Amps/11.5kWh, so I didn’t want to suggest, or confuse, he could ever expect more than that from any Level 2.

I actually stated earlier that Level 2 was limited to 19kWh. That was a throw to the Gen1/2 Tesla wall charger that could support 80amps …..(and the earlier Model S with dual onboard chargers that could demand it).
I qualified my general statement with “generic” (non Tesla). Besides, what other EV can demand that charging load ?

I know people had them, but have never seen one available in the wild, that could actually support 80amps/19kWh.

Just trying not to confuse the basics of what’s readily available today.

Last edited: