Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only initial options: color and wheel size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Stakeholder meeting on 6.6, Elon said that the customization would only offer color and wheels for the first production run. I don't understand what that exactly means? If you ordered right away, are you not going to be able to get all the options that the people getting it later will be able to receive?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Yes that's what he means - he mentioned that for Model X they should have rolled out the nifty features in version 2, 3, etc
instead of all at once and delayed production. It's like the people who bought earlier versions of the Model S, they won't have the same features as the later versions.

*Shareholder (but stakeholder works, too)

Right. I think if you want a car in July/Aug, you'll just get those basic options. If you're willing to wait until Sept/Oct, it'll be more configured. This is right on-time with the "late 2017" deliveries they stated in the reveal.

Looks like bare bones options for the folks able to use the configurator in July. For the rest of use we may see more options with the appropriate difference in delivery time.
This concerns me a little, does this mean we won't be able to configure at all if we desire AWD or P versions? Part of me is ok with that because more options might be available later and part of me is concerned about my placement in the queue.

This concerns me a little, does this mean we won't be able to configure at all if we desire AWD or P versions? Part of me is ok with that because more options might be available later and part of me is concerned about my placement in the queue.
sadly that question wasn't asked. If they plan on delivering AWD in January of 2018 then it is likely they will need to know by say November how many of the dual motors are needed. Now as a 31st line waiter, I don't know if we "lose" our spot in line if we go to configure and the options we want aren't there (like AWD and P). That will probably be a question once the configurator goes live.

Elon mentioned during the meeting that AWD might come late this year if not, the beginning of next year. So keep checking back on the configurator to see the options desired and place the order as appropriate. It's just that the initial batch of Model 3 will not have all the desired features available.

So wait - if we configure a bare bones 3 in July, but more features are added after the order is placed but before the car is anywhere near ready for production, can we go back and add whatever additional options come available in the time between configuring and notice that the order is about to enter production (i.e. last chance to cancel)?

It could also be that they are just including the most popular options as standard for now. So, maybe you get power, leather seats with no option for manual or cloth. Only one sound system option (might stay that way). Only mechanical suspension, no air suspension. No cold weather package (first deliveries to CA anyhow). There's no reason to do away with software options like Full Self-Driving, since those don't complicate the manufacturing process. Although they may not offer FSD initially, since it isn't ready yet.

Reactions: 206er
If they do it like S/X, you won't lose your place in line. Tesla gated access to the config tool based on deposit date. Only when you placed an order did you reserve your true place in line. Tesla will continue to grant access to the config tool in lots. If you don't order, the people in the lots after you can place orders, thereby getting in front of you.

If you wait for features (D, P, whatever), you'll likely be able to see the config tool with those features as soon as they are available. Anyone who has been granted access to the config tool up until that point will be able to place an order, so it will behoove you to order quickly.

Again, this is if tesla follows the same process as S/X. It's entirely possible they will come up with a different method, because by the time the P and D are made available there could be 50k people with access to the tool. That would be fun... we could watch the estimated delivery times change by the hour.

Reactions: StapleGun
New customers to Tesla have justified angst... But, going to have to trust that Tesla is going to put out an outstanding car with impressive features from day 1. That's how they've done business for the past 10 years. Of course, the car that they put out just months later will be improved, cooler, more advanced, and better. And even better 6 months after that, and so on