Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only initial options: color and wheel size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sadly that question wasn't asked. If they plan on delivering AWD in January of 2018 then it is likely they will need to know by say November how many of the dual motors are needed. Now as a 31st line waiter, I don't know if we "lose" our spot in line if we go to configure and the options we want aren't there (like AWD and P). That will probably be a question once the configurator goes live.

I would hope they would be able to just park you at the front of the queue. I'll cross my fingers for you guys and gals for that to be true.

Is that supposed to be a joke? AP hardware is on all Model 3, all model S, all model X. There won't be a way to buy one without the hardware.

Maybe he meant AWD?

But any case, there's people that don't know much about Tesla's and take the info you might have for granted. Like Nvidia PX2 drive unit in every Model 3 and better AP2 performance than current X and S owners LOL.

Reactions: Big-T
By the sound of it, most options and packages for the S/X may not be available for the Model 3. 100 configurations isn't much when you factor in at least 6 colors, 2 battery sizes and 2 drivetrain configurations. If there are multiple roof options, and you can assume it'll have some sort of heated seat/steering option and more than 1 interior color --well thats already over 100 configurations =p we're not even getting one of those things.

Part of what will be interesting is what the cost of options will be "relative" to the S and X.

Premium upgrade package cost 3500 on the S and 4500 on the X.

Would it cost 2000 on the 3 to be more in line with the base price of the 3?

Logic might dictate so, but if you actually saw, then yes S sales would take a hit. And that optioned 3 you wanted (with the 2k upgrade) isnt even build-able by Tesla for near term deliver/revenue collection.

It makes every business sense in the world to keep that configurator away for as long as possible.

Would be a smart move -- with tax incentives fading, people will have the choice of a 45K tesla for 37.5K or wait around for a 37.5K tesla @ 34K. My feeling is that most will choose the slightly higher cost for much better equipped car, which is pure added profit for Tesla. Not the best for customers, but stockholders will love it.

This is why I don't get people referring to initial launch vehicles as 'barebones'. These cars will not be 'no option' cars. These will likely be biggest battery capacity, glass roof cars with ability to upgrade wheels and metallic paint. These cars may retail 7-10K over base price, which is in line with what Elon expected the average Model 3 price to be.

One thing I disagree on -- I do think that the options for basic configurations will come later, especially if they put a date on their site. It is really hard to backtrack on it once its in writing in the configurator. I expect that they'll sprinkle in some options pretty quickly. 1-2 months, some could open up.

I think that's Tesla's trick here. In the name of "simplifying manufacturing", they'll only initially offer a single, well-equipped configuration (big battery, leather seats, nice roof, etc). That will make the actual base price of the available model close to $50K, with the mythical "$35K" option set supposedly coming soon. Most folks will buy the available car when their reservation comes up, rather than choosing to wait an indeterminate time for the cheaper model. Then Tesa will cite that ordering pattern to demonstrate a "lack of interest" in the less expensive options, and decide to not offer those options at all.

Think it can't happen? That's exactly what happened with the S40.

I doubt Tesla can actually afford to sell M3's (even lightly equipped M3's) for $35K. This is a way to get out of that promise.

Reactions: kbM3 and PaulJB
I think initial config will probably be the "Premium" tab on that temporary configurator that Tesla had up for the S a few days ago. Probably includes bigger battery, glass roof, nicer interior (seats/materials), NO sub zero (releasing in California first, no reason for this). If it follows the S config, it *may* even include EAP in the package. This has a twofold purpose IMO: 1)Getting people's foot in the door for the option and making them pay for it 2) Hiding the price a bit in a package, so S/X owners that paid a shitload for it can't directly compare pricing and feel ripped off. I also don't think upgraded stereo, as that probably requires extra wiring to extra speakers and/or amp, which still requires humans and can be time-intensive. Thoughts?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I think it's pretty easy for Tesla to satisfy line-waiters by offering full configuration option upgrades that won't be avail at launch (P, D, upgraded/heated seats, etc.), permitting reservation holders to submit their hypothetical order with explicit indicators saying that actual delivery wont be for xx months. That keeps your spot in the line for that specific configuration. To me it seems the only way to honor people's place in line, which Musk has indicated they will be doing even for those choosing to wait for AWD/P/etc.

I doubt it'll be bare bones, the pattern for Tesla is to deliver high-priced vehicles first, and then the lower priced models.

I'm anticipating the launch car as the largest battery (75?)

Except that goes against the reason they are doing minimal options to begin with, and not launching the dual motor to begin with. They have to ramp up production, which means if they flip the switch on the larger battery pack, that many more cells have to be produced right out the gate. For example, the Model S has 8256 cells in the Model S 100 kWh pack, but had 6216 cells in the 60 kWh pack. If the Model 3 75 has let's say 1000 more cells than the 60, that means to pump out 1000 cars per week at launch they would have to output 1 million more cells per week.

90??? San Diego had something like 500!
even Charlotte NC had over 300...

Reactions: Big-T
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I think it's pretty easy for Tesla to satisfy line-waiters by offering full configuration option upgrades that won't be avail at launch (P, D, upgraded/heated seats, etc.), permitting reservation holders to submit their hypothetical order with explicit indicators saying that actual delivery wont be for xx months. That keeps your spot in the line for that specific configuration. To me it seems the only way to honor people's place in line, which Musk has indicated they will be doing even for those choosing to wait for AWD/P/etc.
He indicated they might show the other options but with timelines. He didn't indicate for sure that these would be selectable. We don't know if they are simply going to be listed with a non-functional button saying "Coming early 2018"

I hope this is the case. I'm early line-waiter and the only 2 options I want are AWD and heated seats. If I can reserve this config day 1, even if the delivery estimate says "Early 2018 and subject to change," I will be fine with that.

I hope this is the case. I'm early line-waiter and the only 2 options I want are AWD and heated seats. If I can reserve this config day 1, even if the delivery estimate says "Early 2018 and subject to change," I will be fine with that.

That's literally what I want too, being in Boston. Need AWD and heated seats for the longer winters. Don't really care on battery size but will order the most economically priced one ($4k is an easy upgrade. $8k would be pushing it. Of course any tax credit adjustments for delays would be considered).

Reactions: Runt8
He indicated they might show the other options but with timelines. He didn't indicate for sure that these would be selectable. We don't know if they are simply going to be listed with a non-functional button saying "Coming early 2018"

It sounds like he didn't indicate that for sure, but he didn't say it wouldn't be the case. Since that's the way they've done it in the past it's reasonable to assume they will do it that way again (and that's my guess as to what he meant, because his words sound like they are describing the way they did it before). Regardless, I don't believe that people will be able to jump ahead of you in line by quickly ordering when an option becomes available. Standing in line means you will be among the first shipments for your particular configuration and region. That question was explicitly asked of Elon at some point and that's what he said.

Reactions: kbM3
Except that goes against the reason they are doing minimal options to begin with, and not launching the dual motor to begin with. They have to ramp up production, which means if they flip the switch on the larger battery pack, that many more cells have to be produced right out the gate. For example, the Model S has 8256 cells in the Model S 100 kWh pack, but had 6216 cells in the 60 kWh pack. If the Model 3 75 has let's say 1000 more cells than the 60, that means to pump out 1000 cars per week at launch they would have to output 1 million more cells per week.

I suspect that the ramp up risk is less with building battery packs at the Gigafactory than building the car at Fremont, and therefore it doesn't apply to the "simplify the production" approach. I thought I remember someone at Tesla stating that the Gigafactory was not going to be the bottleneck, but maybe I remember incorrectly. Larger battery packs would bring higher margins and would not be any more difficult to install in the car once at the pack level.