Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only initial options: color and wheel size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it'll be bare bones, the pattern for Tesla is to deliver high-priced vehicles first, and then the lower priced models.
That is true, but that does not mean the Model 3 will be handled the same way. The 3 is Tesla's entry level vehicle. And employees are getting the first several thousand cars. Many employees likely cannot afford a heavily optioned car. It would make more sense to focus 2017 production on the base version of the 3, which Elon was careful to emphasize at the reveal in 2016 will be an incredible car even with no options.
By the sound of it, most options and packages for the S/X may not be available for the Model 3
And Tesla never said that the 3 would have all the bells and whistles that the S/X have.
This is why I don't get people referring to initial launch vehicles as 'barebones'. These cars will not be 'no option' cars.
We don't know that yet.
I'm curious how many employees can afford, or are willing to pay for, one of these initial pre-configured cars.
You are assuming that the initial 3 production will be heavily optioned cars. I do not think they will be because the first several thousand cars are being build for employees, many of whom cannot afford 3 that is priced well over the base price.

We know that 3 production this year will be RWD only and Elon was very clear that there will be almost no other choices except for color and wheel size (but since every 3 has full EAP hardware included it seems very likely that EAP and FSDC software options will be available).
He indicated they might show the other options but with timelines.
Yes he did say that. So the initial 3 configurator will show future options that are not yet available, and give an indication of the timeframe in which they will be available. We don't know if their future price will be shown.

Bad press can upset the stock price which will anger shareholders. It's a risky move.

Bad press happens either way if only one config:

A: $35K config only, bad press is : Model 3 doesn't live up to hype, options are limited.
B: better config only, bad press is: Model 3 isn't as cheap as expected, too many options bloat price.

Click bait will be click bait no matter how good the car is or what single config they push out first.

Last edited:
No, they have not been making NCA 2170s for months. They are essentially the same cell dimensions... they are not the same cell.

As a matter of fact they will likely start making them this month.

Technically they've been making the 2170's for about 6 months now for Powerwall 2. Granted, there's a slightly different chemistry in the car version, but the process is the same.

Technically they've been making the 2170's for about 6 months now for Powerwall 2. Granted, there's a slightly different chemistry in the car version, but the process is the same.
Yes, the process is the same with 18650s as well... that doesn't change the fact that NCA 2170 production will not have started until this month.

Not only is the 2170 NCA cell different chemistry from the NMC Tesla Energy cells, it's also different from the NCA cells in S/X according to JB.

Yes, the process is the same with 18650s as well... that doesn't change the fact that NCA 2170 production will not have started until this month.

Not only is the 2170 NCA cell different chemistry from the NMC Tesla Energy cells, it's also different from the NCA cells in S/X according to JB.

Then what cells are in all those RC cars running around?

I don't see the need to satisfy the $35,000 "claim" right away. That's still the cost of the base model, but they're making 75kw battery models first presumably. People can bitch and moan, but in the end, they can either wait, or spring for more options. Such is life.
Since it's going to employees first if there's only one version it'll be the $35k version probably.

Since it's going to employees first if there's only one version it'll be the $35k version probably.

Maybe, but I doubt these will be the first ones delivered to consumers. Nobody cares what the employees get.

Could be preproduction runs. Same logic applies to why we see RCs when the production line for Model 3 isn't finished yet.

Both Jeff Dahn and JB have commented about production of the 2170s for Model 3 starting this month.

I think they said somewhere they've been hand building the packs for the RCs, but equipment is coming for production packs. Different line, but same basic formula for making the packs as for power wall. I think it's all robotic at this point. Remember the video of the "slowed down" battery production line from the Ted talk?

I think initial config will probably be the "Premium" tab on that temporary configurator that Tesla had up for the S a few days ago. Probably includes bigger battery, glass roof, nicer interior (seats/materials), NO sub zero (releasing in California first, no reason for this). If it follows the S config, it *may* even include EAP in the package. This has a twofold purpose IMO: 1)Getting people's foot in the door for the option and making them pay for it 2) Hiding the price a bit in a package, so S/X owners that paid a shitload for it can't directly compare pricing and feel ripped off. I also don't think upgraded stereo, as that probably requires extra wiring to extra speakers and/or amp, which still requires humans and can be time-intensive. Thoughts?
I pretty much agree with you. I do however hope you are wrong about the upgraded stereo because this is one of the things I want the most.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Kind of a radical change from the initial supposition that loaded cars would be offered first. I wonder how the resale value is going to crash when AWD, P, interior options, audio options, seating options ets etc are available. Are they going to be like an S40 w/o supercharger access, AP, etc etc, an unloved starter car?

Just because the only two options available are wheels and paint does not mean that the loaded configuration does not come first.

I think they will offer basic, performance and premium configurations.

The premium configurations will ship first. The performance and basic configurations may be configured but will have a delayed date.

The initial configuration will basically have every option included that does not affect the production ramp.
Tesla needs to do this in order to maximize revenue during the production ramp.

Kind of a radical change from the initial supposition that loaded cars would be offered first. I wonder how the resale value is going to crash when AWD, P, interior options, audio options, seating options ets etc are available. Are they going to be like an S40 w/o supercharger access, AP, etc etc, an unloved starter car?
Why would the resale value crash? It will be just like any other less optioned car, it will start will less resale value because its initial cost was less. Even if all of the options were available right away there would still be people that wanted those exact configurations, they aren't getting a lesser car just fewer options.