TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Only place in the world where Model S has a tax surcharge

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Valdric Lim, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Valdric Lim

Valdric Lim Member

Attached Files:

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Great idea getting Elon involved!

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Oh, the absurdity: it took seven months after importing the car for the authorities to 'test' it and declare it a high-emissions vehicle. Hope this poor guy's S$15K tax gets reversed.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

And I thought my state was dumb...

5. Valdric Lim

Valdric Lim Member

Well, the guy who got the 15K surcharge may have given up on getting his money back, but he certainly isn't giving up on the cause!

6. Hendry01

Hendry01 Member

Yes great idea getting Elon involved. Tesla (or any EV for that matter) in Singapore is a perfect match. I was very surprised not to see more charging area in Singapore malls while I was there last summer

7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The test performed on the car was the European NEDC. On that test, they got a result of 444wh/km, which is about 2.5x what Tesla publish as their NEDC result. that is the crux of the issue.

The other related complain is why are they even accounting for CO2 used for generation of the electricity used by the car? They don't do the same for electricity used in the refinement of gasoline, or transportation, etc. It certainly is a novel arrangement that the end-user pays for the power plant CO2 emissions, and at a rate more than 10 times the normal CO2 offset rate.