Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only the 120V adapter comes with a brand new car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't a really big deal AS LONG AS car buyers know about it so they can order one in advance of delivery. Personally, I'm on my 3rd day, and I'm still charging very slowly from a regular wall plug. On Monday it should be better.

For a car in this price range I think it's reasonable to include a regular wall outlet adapter plus one NEMA adapter of the customer's choice... But, it's not my company to run.

My only beef with Tesla is that the pre-delivery instructions don't even mention that it won't be included so you can order it in advance. This, even though the same instructions suggest hiring an electrician to prepare your home.

It's their right to sell whatever they like at whatever price they like, but clear communication is something a consumer should expect.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
For a car in this price range I think it's reasonable to include a regular wall outlet adapter plus one NEMA adapter of the customer's choice... But, it's not my company to run.

A car this nice should be in a much higher price range. You are getting a great deal (NEMA adapter or not).

My only beef with Tesla is that the pre-delivery instructions don't even mention that it won't be included so you can order it in advance.

I've never bought a new car in which the manufacturer told me things it DIDN'T come with. If they don't say it comes with something, I would assume it DOESN'T come wth it. If you hired an electrician to install the HPWC then you wouldn't need a NEMA adapter to charge.

I hope you like the car!

I've never bought a new car in which the manufacturer told me things it DIDN'T come with. If they don't say it comes with something, I would assume it DOESN'T come wth it.

What if you were told it was included, then it wasn't? That's the case for me. What if you were told that it's important to prepare your home in advance so you could level-2 charge at home from day 1, but then you couldn't? I did look for a link on the website for "What's included with your Tesla" and didn't find one. If it was my company, such a page would exist.

What if you ordered spaghetti, and the waiter brought out a plate of spaghetti with no sauce, because they're out of sauce? "That's different", you might say. Why? Because most people expect sauce on their spaghetti. Well, I think most people who are told they can level 2 charge at home from day 1, and even take a day off work to make sure it happens, and are told that it's important to do so in preparation, will expect to be able to do so. You may disagree, and that's cool.

've never bought a new car in which the manufacturer told me things it DIDN'T come with.

I have, and so have you. Tesla told me my car would come with only one motor. They told me if I got the base trim level, it wouldn't come with a subwoofer.

If you hired an electrician to install the HPWC then you wouldn't need a NEMA adapter to charge.

That's true. Are you suggesting I've done something "wrong and bad" by saving $500 and still being able to charge fully while I sleep?

I hope you like the car!

As a matter of fact I LOVE this car! I never thought I'd become a fanboy of anything, but it finally happened. I can't stop talking about the car, to the point I'm probably annoying my friends and family. I also love Telsa itself, and a substantial portion of my net worth is invested in the stock. I literally sat in my car for hours browsing its features and listening to the most amazing sound system I've ever heard. They've raised the bar not only for electric cars, but for cars in general.

A car this nice should be in a much higher price range.

I wholeheartedly agree! You seem to have taken my post personally. I hope you don't feel I've "badmouthed" your car, your choices, or the company. The fact is, every company has its challenges, and my car was literally broken when I drove it off the lot. (which they fixed with excellent service.) The Tesla staff told me the lack of NEMA 14-50 adapters has been one of their biggest sources of customer frustration. The front-line staff seem to agree with me, but they didn't make the decision.

I own a business, and I can tell you this: I have the highest prices in town specifically BECAUSE our clients know what to expect. BEFORE we take their money, they know about our late cancellation fees, the terms, and our refund policy (the "negative points"). No surprises means no disappointments. Our reviews are outstanding, and much like Tesla, we do zero advertising, growing on word-of-mouth alone.

The good news is, whatever product or service you buy, if you don't want to work with a company like mine, you will probably save money.

Reactions: Big Earl
What if you were told it was included, then it wasn't? That's the case for me. What if you were told that it's important to prepare your home in advance so you could level-2 charge at home from day 1, but then you couldn't? I did look for a link on the website for "What's included with your Tesla" and didn't find one. If it was my company, such a page would exist.

What if you ordered spaghetti, and the waiter brought out a plate of spaghetti with no sauce, because they're out of sauce? "That's different", you might say. Why? Because most people expect sauce on their spaghetti. Well, I think most people who are told they can level 2 charge at home from day 1, and even take a day off work to make sure it happens, and are told that it's important to do so in preparation, will expect to be able to do so. You may disagree, and that's cool.

I have, and so have you. Tesla told me my car would come with only one motor. They told me if I got the base trim level, it wouldn't come with a subwoofer.

That's true. Are you suggesting I've done something "wrong and bad" by saving $500 and still being able to charge fully while I sleep?

As a matter of fact I LOVE this car! I never thought I'd become a fanboy of anything, but it finally happened. I can't stop talking about the car, to the point I'm probably annoying my friends and family. I also love Telsa itself, and a substantial portion of my net worth is invested in the stock. I literally sat in my car for hours browsing its features and listening to the most amazing sound system I've ever heard. They've raised the bar not only for electric cars, but for cars in general.

I wholeheartedly agree! You seem to have taken my post personally. I hope you don't feel I've "badmouthed" your car, your choices, or the company. The fact is, every company has its challenges, and my car was literally broken when I drove it off the lot. (which they fixed with excellent service.) The Tesla staff told me the lack of NEMA 14-50 adapters has been one of their biggest sources of customer frustration. The front-line staff seem to agree with me, but they didn't make the decision.

I own a business, and I can tell you this: I have the highest prices in town specifically BECAUSE our clients know what to expect. BEFORE we take their money, they know about our late cancellation fees, the terms, and our refund policy (the "negative points"). No surprises means no disappointments. Our reviews are outstanding, and much like Tesla, we do zero advertising, growing on word-of-mouth alone.

The good news is, whatever product or service you buy, if you don't want to work with a company like mine, you will probably save money.

I'm not suggesting you have done anything wrong other than perhaps assuming the Mobile Connector Bundle that came with your car included a NEMA 14-50. Now, if a Telsa rep told you that it came with a NEMA 14-50, I would deal directly with that person. But if they deny saying that and you don't have it in writing, then it's not worth pursuing. If they admit they misinformed you then they should hand one over free. You can clearly see on the Tesla website that the Mobile Connector Bundle only comes with one adapter:

Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

Other than the basic 120V 15A adapter for the common wall outlet, you need to buy the adapter(s) you need ala carte. But they are only $35 each which I find to be more than fair. If it was Apple, they would be white and cost $85 each! Maybe more given the amount of copper and quality construction.

I'm glad you love your car, and if a Tesla employee really did mislead you, that's not right but a $35 adapter is not worth getting upset over,, particularly when the entire package is such an excellent value.

My primary point is I don't think it's a given that the car should come with that accessory because of it's price. Look at the Porsche. You can spend $185,000 and it doesn't even come with the Mobile connector or ANY adapters. And I think the mobile connector is $1200 or some such nonsense. That's right, not included even after you spend $185K.

I trust you see my point.

No employee misled me. What he told me was correct at the time. I think I ordered three days after he told me that. Incidentally, and he's no longer with the company.

Look at the Porsche.

Why? You're mentioning poor practices by a company as if those poor practices set a standard somehow.

I trust you see my point.

Since most of what you said, I agree with... no, I don't. Stating your point outright would probably work.

You seem to be really excited about the "Corded Mobile Connector". But through Tesla, its price is $520, but unless I'm missing something, and maybe I am, why would I get that if I can instead pay $275 plus $35 and get the exact same functionality, with the added flexibility of charging from a standard wall outlet if I choose? In fact, the $275 item came with the car so I only paid $35. (No, I don't need one for road trips. My life isn't the same as others.)

The advantage of the hard wired Tesla wall connector is one of speed
It charges at 48 Amps to the car (for LR model 3’s)
A 14-50 plug with the car kit and the now extra adapter tops out at 32 Amps

32 is still enough for most doing overnight home charging the other advantage is it keeps your cars mobile charger in the trunk in case you need it In some kind of emergency some day
I feel more comfortable having it in the car than in my garage

Don't know about all accessories, but when I was in the Marietta GA Service Center getting some collision damage fixed, I observed a lot of accessories sitting out in the customer waiting area, including:
- Model 3 roof racks
- Home chargers
- Model 3 key-fobs (dozens of them)
- wheel hub caps
- Aero wheel covers
- Various kinds of mats

Wonder why some service centers have / sell these parts and others do not
The center local to me in Dedham, MA which serves all of the Boston market deliveries said they don’t carry any accessories and told me to order online

On the East Coast a week shipping time away makes a difference

Every quarter they seem to remove something from the car (lowers their internal cost)
Q1 it was the phone cables
Q2 it was the NEMA 14-50 adapter
Q3 it was the frunk mat

I think all are things that one only is upset about if you were expecting them.

The advantage of the hard wired Tesla wall connector is one of speed
It charges at 48 Amps to the car (for LR model 3’s)
A 14-50 plug with the car kit and the now extra adapter tops out at 32 Amps

I believe you're referring to the Tesla Wall Connector, not the Corded Mobile Connector which ReddykwRun seems fond of. As far as I can tell it's identical to the less-expensive Mobile Connector Bundle plus a NEMA 14-50 adapter and still charges at the same rate. Heck, unless I'm mistaken you could make one of those (and spend less) by buying both items and epoxying them together forever, but then you would lose the option of using it to charge from a standard home wall outlet.

Think that Tesla corded NEMA plug wall connector (which are rare / never in stock) can change a LR 3 at 40 AMPs instead of the 32 amp speed

Is costly for the difference, is a cleaner look in the garage which I am sure matters to some but not all

Think that Tesla corded NEMA plug wall connector (which are rare / never in stock) can change a LR 3 at 40 AMPs instead of the 32 amp speed

Is costly for the difference, is a cleaner look in the garage which I am sure matters to some but not all

Interesting. Apparently I absorbed some incorrect information somewhere along the line. Thanks. For now I'm happy with what I have. (Or will have once the adapter arrives.) As long as I can charge fully overnight, it doesn't matter to me how long it takes to finish while I sleep.

I think the main advantages are:
1) it's portable, which would make sense for someone who is renting, or someone who plans to move during their ownership of the car, or someone who has a vacation home where they can plug the connector in
2) if the wall connector stopped working for whatever reason, you'd have the NEMA 14-50 outlet to use

That said, and I could be mistaken, but I think it may be possible to pigtail plug the regular Tesla wall connector in to a NEMA 14-50. If true, you don't necessarily need to buy the corded version.

You seem to be really excited about the "Corded Mobile Connector". But through Tesla, its price is $520, but unless I'm missing something, and maybe I am, why would I get that if I can instead pay $275 plus $35 and get the exact same functionality, with the added flexibility of charging from a standard wall outlet if I choose? In fact, the $275 item came with the car so I only paid $35. (No, I don't need one for road trips. My life isn't the same as others.)

I've already deeply apologized for using the word socket. I promise, the memory of having used that word still haunts me at night, and I shall forever change my ways.

The adapter I needed at that shop is $85, AND on backorder, and the same thing from Tesla is $35, and is already set to arrive 4 days after I ordered, and still available.
Which adapter are you searching for? Do you have a dryer receptacle nearby? Just trying to help out.

Not including the NEMA 14-50 is not any different than no longer getting a Frunk Mat or phone cables.
Next quarter they will find a way to remove something else to get their costs lower.
Of the 3 I think I miss the Frunk mat the most, would not mind having a NEMA 14-50 adapter but have no real use for it either.
Maybe I will visit a campsite one day where I could use it.
Prefer wireless charging so the cable adapters would be of no value to me.
Each owner will vary in what they need/want.

Would be nice if like real car dealerships the service centers would carry and sell some of the popular Tesla accessories.
Wireless charging as in Plugless Power, great system.

Which adapter are you searching for? Do you have a dryer receptacle nearby? Just trying to help out.

Today I received the NEMA 14-50 adapter I needed, which I had ordered from Tesla for $35. It's shown here:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I immediately plugged in to the Gen 2 Mobile Connector which came with the car and conformed it charges at 32 amps from the outlet I had an electrician install, and I'm happy. I ordered on the 26th and got it today on the 30th, which is only 2 working days since that includes the weekend.

I wonder if that's real as in info from the cars or ? I rarely use sc cause charging at work or home is so easy..

They did this to save money. Tesla is literally scraping every penny they can to try to be profitable. They made a lot of noise about being profitable going forward last year and said they would not need further capital infusions, then they lost money and had to get more capital with a huge hit to the stock price.

They don't need to make a lot of money, but if they continue to lose a little money on every car they sell, they will never see the pickup make it to market. So they are squeezing their customers as hard as they can get away with.

Because there was an article that went into detail how they are charged to an ideal level for shipment from factory and put into a special transport mode when in a car that they do not vampire drain.

you are making assumptions they vampire drain while shipping......

Ok, no vampire drain. But what does "charged to an ideal level for shipment" mean? Why is one number better than another?

Oh, yeah, there is no mode where the vampire drain is zero. If you can turn it back on without flipping a mechanical switch or reconnecting a wire it is drawing power. Even ICE autos will vampire drain and run down in a month or two.