Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only tint side windows?

Did you tint all windows, only the side, or if you haven't tinted yet do you plan to, etc?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep going back and forth, so decided to ask others opinions. I'm thinking of not tinting the back window at all because I would do the full window (half looks strange from inside the car IMO), but I also don't want to darken the overhead portion and the part that isn't factory tinted is actually small. Plus sides alone will likely be much cheaper, maybe half the price.

Curious what others think? Have any of you only tinted the side windows? From outside the car I think it will look ok, but anyone with pics would be appreciated.

Added a poll for fun since I've never used that feature before.

Still on the to do list... 50/50 on the back as I want the person behind me to see the brake lights ahead of me.

Also 50/50 tinting the sides as cyclists in downtown Toronto are like ninjas.

So I'll just end up tinting the little window in the rear passenger seats :D

I'm assuming by "all" you mean the 4 side windows and NOT the front windshield. I voted for full back since it would drive me nuts to be able to see the transition every time I looked back from inside the car.
Correct, I didn't put an option for the front....maybe I should change the response options since @5_+JqckQttqck messed everything up already by opting not to tint the front side windows but tinting the back :p

So, lets say that whether you tint the front or not isn't really relevant and the questions are back side windows only, all side windows, both options with full back, half back, no back.....not sure if I change the survey what will happen to the responses. Will find out I guess.

Correct, I didn't put an option for the front....maybe I should change the response options since @5_+JqckQttqck messed everything up already by opting not to tint the front side windows but tinting the back :p

So, lets say that whether you tint the front or not isn't really relevant and the questions are back side windows only, all side windows, both options with full back, half back, no back.....not sure if I change the survey what will happen to the responses. Will find out I guess.
Bah, I cant change the survey questions apparently since its been more than 60 min....so lets just say then that the questions are really just about what you are doing to the back window. Half, full or no tint. All other options for side windows and front are lumped into those three so its just the back window that differentiates.....

So, my first attempt at a survey went a bit sideways it seems :rolleyes:

All 6 side windows in Spectra Photosync 45% (light transmission). Left the rear untinted. I didn’t tint for
appearance but for glare, side window sun protection and nighttime visibility in poor weather. I held back on the rear as I hadn’t installed the Blackvue yet and wanted to play with locations. No intent at all to do it now. I also like the uniform appearance of the overhead and upper rear factory tint.

83BBE6C4-8045-4DFE-A863-742AFDAF020E.jpeg

All 6 side windows in Spectra Photosync 45% (light transmission). Left the rear untinted. I didn’t tint for
appearance but for glare, side window sun protection and nighttime visibility in poor weather. I held back on the rear as I hadn’t installed the Blackvue yet and wanted to play with locations. No intent at all to do it now. I also like the uniform appearance of the overhead and upper rear factory tint.

View attachment 342505
If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get your car tinted? Trying to find a good reputable place to tint my car in the GTA.

View attachment 342505
Thanks for the pic. I'm pretty set that I'm not doing the back window anymore now. Agree about wanting the same look between the overhead front roof and the rear.

Would you mind attaching some pictures of the back from a few different angles? You said that was a 45% transmission tint? I was thinking of something more....I actually had 15% on my volt and didn't find it difficult to see at night (definitely a challenge, but I just took extra care). My wife's bolt has 20%....I'm 90% going either 20 or 25% on side windows only.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get your car tinted? Trying to find a good reputable place to tint my car in the GTA.

Sure! Fabian Evelyn of Evelyn Protective Films & Coatings. He did my PPF, Ceramic and tint. Spectra Photosync is a quality film and priced that way. He did excellent work on my car. My price was built into my entire job so I can’t break it out for you.

https://evelynprotectivefilms.ca/

https://www.allprowindowtinting.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/photosync_datasheet_072114.pdf

Thanks for the pic. I'm pretty set that I'm not doing the back window anymore now. Agree about wanting the same look between the overhead front roof and the rear.

Would you mind attaching some pictures of the back from a few different angles? You said that was a 45% transmission tint? I was thinking of something more....I actually had 15% on my volt and didn't find it difficult to see at night (definitely a challenge, but I just took extra care). My wife's bolt has 20%....I'm 90% going either 20 or 25% on side windows only.

No problem. I’ll take some rear quarter shots tomorrow.

PM sent