Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only way to use Autopilot now..Pic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bigger problem I have is finding a place to comfortably fit my legs(taking off my shoes helps a lot there)

Same here. Evidently my feet (size 16 in New Balance, size 15 in dress shoes or boat shoes) are exactly 1 inch too long to fit in the footwell without minor contortions. Once such contortion however has the added feature/benefit of occasionally causing a window to open courtesy of my left knee. Usually in the middle of the night which serves as a both loud and cold wake up call.

Conversely, getting out of the car with bare feet onto hot pavement (hello, Gila Bend SC) is equally joyful.

Presumably this problem will have been addressed when it's time to acquire a Tesla Semi and attendant custom RV 53' trailer. Although Fred's rendering of a Tesla Semi RV (no trailer) has some um, legs as well. "I had to upgrade for the extra footroom - yeah, that's it - the extra footroom."

It would be nice if the new Roadster pulls off a late 1960s/early 1970s MG MGB feat - those cars have *amazing* foot/legroom - never a problem in one of those. Go figure.

A 3-year old Roadster for $100K versus a 3-year old Semi versus other choices... The future is indeed bright. And hopefully will have more footroom as a bonus. Too bad Elon or Franz evidently do not have big feet - this problem would have been solved in Year 1.

But I digress.

Reactions: ZoomFPV
The increased nags may be Tesla's response to gimmicks like the AP Buddy, trying to bypass the sensors trying to verify the driver has hands on the steering wheel.

If enough drivers find ways to work around the latest nags - Tesla could make the software even more sensitive, and look for varying pressure or resistance, or some other mechanism to help verify the driver is paying attention.

The best solution is for Tesla to adjust the nag to a reasonable level (they may have gone too far) and for drivers to figure out how to adjust their driving to reduce/eliminate the nags without relying on gimmicks to bypass the safety features.

Compared to other manufacturers, Tesla has placed relatively few restrictions on the user interface or how the car's software can operate the car. Other manufacturers usually place more restrictions - even displaying legal notifications requiring hitting an OK to use certain features. Tesla hasn't done much of this so far - and if we continue to get accidents where drivers are not using the vehicles safely the increased nag could be just the start of Tesla shifting to a more conservative interface, reducing potential legal liability and avoiding regulatory barriers to the use of the AP system.

I think Tesla is simply CYA mode. They need just enough of a nag to say they aren’t responsible and too bad so sad if the driver cheated our system. I wouldn’t expect them to up the ante again.

I think I had to agree to some terms when I first turned on autopilot btw.

The point being missed is that Tesla is diverting valuable programming time to develop a better means for a driver to keep their hands on the wheel,
INSTEAD OF DEVELOPING A BETTER, DRIVABLE AP PROGRAM and, someday, FSD.

IMHO, Tesla should send a copy of the user agreement to the NTSB, previously digitally signed by every Tesla owner, acknowledging that the AP system is BETA and that "...a driver must keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times while using AP".
This would thereby pass the onus of the "abuse of AP" back to the driver and negate or minimize their liability.

The NTSB has required since 1966 that seat belts are required to be installed in every new car placed in service in the US. Most states now require SB use, but everyday we see media reports of injuries and deaths, "...and the driver and passengers were not wearing seatbelts."
Are the ICE manufacturers singled out and held liable for these deaths? NOT
Most states require motorcyclists to wear helmets, but everyday we read about; "...the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet ...which contributed to his death." Are the motorcycle manufacturers liable? NOT

ZERO accidents and zero deaths while driving a Tesla or any ICE vehicle is simply not attainable...

Tesla drivers will always use AP and eventually FSD to the confidence level that they acquire with their individual vehicles. Rules, regulations and "Nags" will not deter their zeal toward a future of FSD.
You "...can lead a horse to water..." and all that stuff.

It doesn't appear to operate that way. If you get a nag and tug on the wheel, it'll clear pretty instantly. As mentioned, it's also the same sensor that registers disengagement of Autosteer, and that disengagement happens instantly.

It does appear that way because no one could see the algorithm. I do fault detection programming and usually you sample the data 3 to 5 times and if it fails all of them you trip the alarm and/or perform corrective actions. So when you see that the AP nags you every 24 seconds for having no hand on wheel, it usually means in that 24 sec, the algorithm checked data 3 to 5 times and it failed all of them.

That's why I am thinking for someone who drives 8 hours on AP and only got 1 nag, he may think that Tesla data only shows 1 hand-off-wheel incident, but I think Tesla will show hundreds of them but only 1 failed continuously for 24 seconds. On the same thought, I think Tesla could easily tell if someone is using a weight on the wheel. "Hey look at this driver... 100 hours of AP and never failed a single sampling of the data... that's impossible"