Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OnRoute Charging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I e-mailed ONRoute about 3 weeks ago regarding charging infrastructure (not specifically Superchargers) and never hear back.

Sadly, getting any sort of reply seems to be a rare occurrence. But we are making progress. FYI, Press Release: https://www.facebook.com/eMileage/posts/583854694998461

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread since it is about SuperCharger deployments... (I am still hopeful that we will see strategic SuperCharger placements along our major highways whether or not at OnRoute rest stops.) So I commend your efforts!

I also wrote the ONroute people about 2 months ago, but never heard back. I'm looking forward to them getting things going on all the major highways. My guess is that someone in a boardroom somewhere has a white board with sales numbers for all electrics in Ontario on it, and they are waiting for the numbers to hit a critical mass before they really act. I believe that, in general, it would really help charging infrastructure in Ontario quite a bit if there were better lease options available for Volts and Leafs specifically (ie. $299 a month like we see in the US) as it would stoke the market at all levels.

I think this is another classic Ontario government screwup.

These are Ontario sites, but they have agreements with two companies to operate them. Canadian Tire runs the automobile service operations, and an American company runs the restaurants etc.

The government mandated free electric vehicle charging stations, but there's absolutely no incentive whatsoever for Canadian Tire to do anything about it. If someone stops for a couple of hours to charge, they're going to spend money at the restaurants, not Canadian Tire. It will cost them money and not make them any. Never mind that they signed up to do it as part of the deal to operate the site.

From what I've heard, the people responsible aren't terribly interested, and will probably end up installing useless 30A charging stations if they do anything. That will be perfect for the occasional Leaf driver taking two days to ferry his car along the 401. Tesla owners will of course bypass them completely, as even now there are much better options available. If they do 30A stations, they will get maybe a customer a month. Which will clearly demonstrate that there's no demand for the stations...

Totally agree, OnRoute would be ideal for Superchargers. Hopefully Canadian Tire will play ball, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is it really up to Cdn Tire? There's a ton of parking at these sites, and the Chargers / Superchargers wouldn't have to be anywhere near the Gas + pumps. I would have thought that there was someone responsible for the overall site, and it wouldn't be up to one of the tenants.

Is it really up to Cdn Tire? There's a ton of parking at these sites, and the Chargers / Superchargers wouldn't have to be anywhere near the Gas + pumps. I would have thought that there was someone responsible for the overall site, and it wouldn't be up to one of the tenants.

If you were Canadian Tire, would you sign a contract that didn't give you exclusive rights to service automobiles at the site? I sincerely doubt it. Did the government think ahead and exclude electric vehicle charging? Apparently not.

- - - Updated - - -

This is interesting...

Signs at redeveloped service centres and on highways show the ONroute logo indicating that services are provided by HKSC Developments L.P., a consortium formed by Toronto-based Kilmer Van Hostrand, which has significant experience in civil infrastructure and sport/entertainment interests, and HMS Host, a part of Autogrill S.p.A., the world’s largest provider of food, beverage and retail services in travel centres. You can also see the logo at travel centres operated by HMS Host along roadways in the U.S.

HKSC has a 50 year agreement with the government:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/722...ss-service-centres-on-major-canadian-highways

HMSHost Corporation and Kilmer Van Nostrand Co. Limited Ink 50-Year Agreement to Build 23 World-Class Service Centres on Major Canadian Highways

At each new center, a full service fuel station with an adjacent convenience store will be operated by Canadian Tire - an iconic brand and Canada's largest independent gas retailer - and will feature a full complement of pumps for both motorists and commercial vehicles, making it easy to pull up, fill up and go.

It appears that HKSC and Canadian Tire do indeed have their own deals with the government:

Lexpert Magazine - Deals

Last edited:
If you were Canadian Tire, would you sign a contract that didn't give you exclusive rights to service automobiles at the site? I sincerely doubt it.

I suppose, but I'm thinking (hoping?) that these are very different types of vehicles that wouldn't impinge on Canadian Tire's business of selling gasoline and oil. If I pull in to an ONroute stop with my Model S, it's not like I'm going to be buying any gasoline anyway, so what does Canadian Tire care if someone else ran some EV chargers at the site. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part...

I vote they put one at Webber's, that would cover the North and give me an excuse to have another Hamburger!

It would be perfect right under their wind mill! I tried sending them an email but got a "Thanks, but no plans to put in a charging station...". I also talked to Sun Country and they were going to try. Problem with Webbers is they are not open all year round. We need something to service cottage country and North all year.

Tesla, if you are reading, could you please put in a Supercharger on hwy 400 or Hwy 11 to service cottage country? FYI There is an Onroute station going in on the 400. We need this supercharger because after driving throughout the day on a Friday we have a couple hour wait to charge up before leaving that night for the weekend. Also, Model S owners coming from Windsor or Montreal who are turning up the 400 to cottage country will likely need to charge up on the 400.

My vote is for Gravenhurst. That would support drivers going up either side of the Muskoka Lakes or onwards towards Huntsville.

And/Or perhaps at the Onroute in Barrie which would probably be close enough to Superchargers on the 401 for people coming from the East or West. This would also service people going up the 400 extension to Georgian Bay.

(BTW, Duckjybe, was that you I saw at Timmy's on Hwy 11 just south of Gravenhurst last night?)

My wife went through at 3pm in our Blue MS but didn't stop. Too many ICE's getting gas, I prefer to stop elsewhere. I had to drive the truck home.:crying:

If you were Canadian Tire, would you sign a contract that didn't give you exclusive rights to service automobiles at the site? I sincerely doubt it. Did the government think ahead and exclude electric vehicle charging? Apparently not.

Looks like you were right, Doug. Just got a reply this morning:

"We would like to thank you for your inquiry. At this time we do not have charging stations at our ONroute locations, and it is something that we are working on, however, we do not have a timeline whether short term or medium term as to when this service
will be available. I do know it will be through the Canadian Tire service stations when it does happen.

Sorry, we could not be of more help."

Looks that way. I wrote to Canadian Tire, but am expecting something similar back.

...and expectations met:

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your inquiry.

We have received the following from our Petroleum Division: We are still working on it but the program is not formulized yet.

Thank you for your interest in Canadian Tire.