Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Auto Insurance - Fault and Tesla Cam Evidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving up the DVP earlier today. Some debris came flying off a truck and struck the front of my Model 3 causing some damage (scratches, possibly damaging the front grill mechanism).
Luckily, the Tesla Cam captured the incident and I was able to get a plate number. If I claim through insurance, will they accept the Dash Cam footage and assign this as not at fault and no deductible? Has anyone had any experience using Tesla Dash Cam footage for an insurance claim in Ontario?

I was driving up the DVP earlier today. Some debris came flying off a truck and struck the front of my Model 3 causing some damage (scratches, possibly damaging the front grill mechanism).
Luckily, the Tesla Cam captured the incident and I was able to get a plate number. If I claim through insurance, will they accept the Dash Cam footage and assign this as not at fault and no deductible? Has anyone had any experience using Tesla Dash Cam footage for an insurance claim in Ontario?

You should go to a collision center in Toronto and file a police report there. Staffed with officers on site. Your insurance company will require it. You have the proof and plate number to go with report. Dash cam footage of the incident is video evidence to back up your claim. It should wash out in the end as a no fault/no deductible once they follow up the plate # to the owners insurance.

Highly recommend Excellence on Midwest for body repair/paint after a minor rear end last summer. Perfect repair and paint match. Tesla certified. They have 4 HPWC’s on posts out front and do lots of Tesla’s and other higher end.

Excellence Auto Collision

Last edited:
I had a hit/run in a parking lot. Took the video to collision reporting for York Regional Police. On the way, I wondered if they could read the files on my USB stick but when I got there they just plugged it into a USB port and away we went. After we noted the plate, they called the other owner who claimed to leave a note but I didn't see one. At that point, they told me it wasn't a "hit/run" since they said they left a note. In either case, I'm not at fault but the video shows it and proper blame assigned.

Damage was mostly cosmetic but got it fixed at the other Excellence Auto Collision branch in Vaughan. It's sounds to be smaller than the Scarborough location but looks like new again and perfect paint matching.