TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ontario: Autopilot issues between 400 and Orillia?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TrevTremaine, Aug 11, 2019.

1. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Does anyone else have issues heading north on HWY 11 after the 400 split? For some reason it suddenly drops to 50 kph and sometimes as low as 40 kph even though the posted limit is 90. No signage that the car would be possibly misinterpreting so far as I could see. I was fortunate that nobody was tailgating me at the time and I was quick to disengage it. Is there any way to let Tesla know about this through a bug report?

2. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

Hit your voice command button and say 'bug report...' you have about 5 seconds to describe what the bug is. Something like autopilot has the wrong speed limit or something like that....

There is a stretch in Hamilton where the steel mills are (recently renamed Nikolai Tesla Blvd) and it drops the speed to 60, even though it's 90.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. sheamurai

sheamurai Member

It's not really an EAP issue - if you look at the display it's google maps telling the car that the speed limit there is 30, 40 and 60 each time that happens when you are northbound. I'm told you can report the issue to google maps when you are on the website.

• Helpful x 1
  4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, widely known and I have hit it as well.

I do wish Tesla would just coast down to the new speed instead of pounding the brakes. Every time I enter a new, slower speed limit zone (even when appropriate) the car pounds the brakes to get to the new speed asap. Dangerous as far as I'm concerned.

• Like x 1
  5. Roger Keay

Roger Keay Member

I have experienced wrong speed information from the car's display many times driving around in Ontario. The usual issue is a lower posted speed than the map data but in a few instances like Hwy 11 north past the split the map speed is slower than the actual road speed. I find the problem happens when using the Adaptive Cruise Control alone as well as when Autopilot is engaged. The car also brakes abruptly at times on ACC or Autopilot when the Tesla is on the outside of a curve and a large vehicle is approaching from the other direction on the inside of the curve. My wife hates it and doesn't trust the car so she won't even try Autopilot and doesn't like it when I use it.

6. Duckjybe

Duckjybe Member

The speed limit drops occur right before the sign for Oro Medonte 4, and close to Oro Medonte 14. But only on north bound lanes.

I’m not sure it’s pounding the brakes. I just think regen is kicking in making it seem
    like brakes are applied.

• Like x 1
  7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not on my 2018 X 100D. It's definitely hitting the brakes. Sometimes I even get that "clackity" sound that the brakes make when it has to hit them on AutoPilot.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

LOL. Every time my wife hears the "bong-bong" sounds, she mutters "you're going to kill us all" under her breath.

9. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Just get a white cane and have it handy so you can hang it out the window when your wife says that.

• Funny x 1