Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Buyers: Green Plates vs Normal Plates

Green Plate vs Normal Plate

• Green Plates

Votes: 121 92.4%
  • Normal Plate

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a personalized plate (blue) because green plates do not have the option to be personalized. I drive about 3-5 times a week on the 404 HOV lanes. So far I have not gotten stopped by a cop, though I have not seen many cops monitoring the HOV lane during the times I was using it.

I find it unfair for there not to be a personalize option for green plates and if I ever get stopped I'll bring that up with the officer.
I am guessing that the reason for not allowing the personalized green plate is to have a redundancy - both the green colour of the lettering and the number starting with GV or VE. Sometimes it is hard to tell the colour, especially if you have plate covers on. So there is some logic to it.

Different prisoners? Maybe the Friday shift? ;-)

Do I get new green plates and lose my (relatively) early GVAC...

LOL... I would have had GVAA plates if Tesla didn't have my early 2013 S registered as a "6-cylinder gas" car in the MTO database. Drove it for a couple of years with plain old blue number plates. When I did finally get around to getting green plates, they were GVAH. Traded those plates in back in March 2018 for GVBB for my new X. I really don't care ;)

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I’m annoyed. I gave two vehicles with personalized plates. $1200 between them I really don’t want to give them up.

Don’t know why options are available. I’m also a Veteran, but can’t get a green Veteran plate either.

Surprised Doug Ford doesn’t see it as a way to get more of my money!

I’m annoyed. I gave two vehicles with personalized plates. $1200 between them I really don’t want to give them up.

Don’t know why options are available. I’m also a Veteran, but can’t get a green Veteran plate either.

Surprised Doug Ford doesn’t see it as a way to get more of my money!
I think it's mostly because personalized green plates would make it harder for police to identify those that have HOV access which is really the only perk left for green plates.

Seeing the colour of the plate especially at night would be difficult, but if they all start with GV or VE that makes it easier to identify if it is a green vehicle or not.

And I doubt ford is going to go out of his way to make things better for EV drivers. He screwed over everyone in Ontario (not just tesla owners). Now it's also been shown that his cancellation of cap and trade (which funded the ev rebates) was illegal. But the damage has already been done.

For some reason I always assumed it cost extra to get a green plate. Learned something new today. When I got my Model S 3 months ago, there wasn't any breakdown on how much the plate cost - I think it was $200, and I just assumed part of the $200 was the fee for a green plate and the rest for the sticker (9.5 months to my BDay next year).

Why should it be more to have green plates as we are making a sacrifice (paying big $$$ for our cars) to drive a vehicle that is far less detrimental on society due to lower pollution and CO2 emissions.
One reason could be no gas taxes being paid. Don't want to give anyone any ideas but with electrification, governments will be looking to recoup lost revenue.

One reason could be no gas taxes being paid. Don't want to give anyone any ideas but with electrification, governments will be looking to recoup lost revenue.
The price for green plates is the same as non green. On the gas tax issue; using less gas means governments pay out less subsidies to the oil companies (at least thats my hope). The oil industry currently gets more subsidies per year than the entire world spends on heathcare. In the US they subsidize big oil to the tune of 10x what they fund education..... S-M-R-T!!!! :rolleyes:

The price for green plates is the same as non green. On the gas tax issue; using less gas means governments pay out less subsidies to the oil companies (at least thats my hope). The oil industry currently gets more subsidies per year than the entire world spends on heathcare. In the US they subsidize big oil to the tune of 10x what they fund education..... S-M-R-T!!!! :rolleyes:

Yes but not always the same levels of government getting the gas taxes as are paying out the subsidies. I doubt Ontario which is getting the gas tax money where we live, is subsidizing the fossil fuel industry in Alberta.

Yes but not always the same levels of government getting the gas taxes as are paying out the subsidies. I doubt Ontario which is getting the gas tax money where we live, is subsidizing the fossil fuel industry in Alberta.

Let's not give the Ontario government any ideas. It's bad enough Illinois tried to raise EV licensing to $1000 because they don't get the gas tax revenue. (I think they ended up at about $250).

Reactions: puzz1ed and bijan
LOL... I would have had GVAA plates if Tesla didn't have my early 2013 S registered as a "6-cylinder gas" car in the MTO database. Drove it for a couple of years with plain old blue number plates. When I did finally get around to getting green plates, they were GVAH. Traded those plates in back in March 2018 for GVBB for my new X. I really don't care ;)
I had GVAB191 plates on my first Tesla which was only put on the road in early 2017. The office I registered at was rural and they must have had those plates sitting unused for years. In fact I had to tell them I needed GV plates and they asked 6 employees before one knew where to find them. #smalltown

Fair point. I realized after I posted that there were a fair bit of holes in the argument when you dig into the details. In the long run though I still hope its true that some of the money funneled to the big oil companies (who make crap-tonnes of profits) can be put towards more 'sustainable' initiatives like our heath, our kids, our planet....you know, the small stuff :)

For some reason I always assumed it cost extra to get a green plate. Learned something new today. When I got my Model S 3 months ago, there wasn't any breakdown on how much the plate cost - I think it was $200, and I just assumed part of the $200 was the fee for a green plate and the rest for the sticker (9.5 months to my BDay next year).
Tesla overcharged many ppl with the license fee. They are charging a flat $200 rather than the prorated amount you should be paying per your sticker renewal date.

Actually, I'd say they overcharged everyone.

Reactions: 03DSG
Tesla overcharged many ppl with the license fee. They are charging a flat $200 rather than the prorated amount you should be paying per your sticker renewal date.

Actually, I'd say they overcharged everyone.
yup, I discovered that when I traded in my plates that came with the car (wanted to keep my original early-ish green plate), and they charged me for a full year of 'license' despite my birthday being 3 months after pickup :confused: Its an extra source of revenue generation for them :)

Reactions: 03DSG and Tony_YYZ
A friend of mine just took delivery of their Model 3 SR plus. She ordered 2 days before me...and I'm still waiting for mine. LOL Weird. Anyways....Not sure if anyone here has experienced the same thing with their 2020 Model 3, but since it is not listed yet on the Ministry website for eligible vehicles (only shows 2018,2019 models)....Tesla was not able to get her a GREEN plate...and only a regular Blue plate. They told her that the website likely won't be updated until end of December. This is unreal. A major reason for her buying the vehicle was to use the HOV due to her commute. Now she can't even use it for the next 6 weeks! I'm assuming I'l be getting the same thing when my car is delivered. I will not be happy.

A friend of mine just took delivery of their Model 3 SR plus. She ordered 2 days before me...and I'm still waiting for mine. LOL Weird. Anyways....Not sure if anyone here has experienced the same thing with their 2020 Model 3, but since it is not listed yet on the Ministry website for eligible vehicles (only shows 2018,2019 models)....Tesla was not able to get her a GREEN plate...and only a regular Blue plate. They told her that the website likely won't be updated until end of December. This is unreal. A major reason for her buying the vehicle was to use the HOV due to her commute. Now she can't even use it for the next 6 weeks! I'm assuming I'l be getting the same thing when my car is delivered. I will not be happy.
Damn that sucks. I'd drive in it anyway and if you get a ticket explain it to the cop and maybe they'll let you off because you will get one you just aren't allowed to yet. Then worst case maybe fight it?

Up to you, but if it were me I'd be driving in the HOV in this situation 100%.