Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Buyers: Green Plates vs Normal Plates

Green Plate vs Normal Plate

• Green Plates

Votes: 121 92.4%
  • Normal Plate

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone.

As a first time EV buyer, it seems obvious to go with the green plates, but from what I can tell, the benefits are not that significant;

- Access to HOV lanes
- No-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes (I dont even know where these exist, and im assuming the 407 is NOT included)
- You let everyone know that you have an environmentally friendly car

(via: Green licence plates)

Am I missing anything? Also, can you customize your green plate? (i.e 2FAST4U) My girlfriend really wants to create our own plate, but I want the benefits listed above.

P.S I am not going with 2FAST4U

You got it. I don't believe you can get a customized plate because the green plates all start with GV.

You'd likely get some plate close to GVBC 999

Green licence plates

The Man/Guy/Buddy/Friend/Pal said:
Get Green Vehicle Licence Plates

You can get Green Vehicle licence plates through the normal vehicle plating process at any ServiceOntario centre.

There are no extra fees, however as with the purchase of any new licence plates, the regular vehicle permit and number plate fee applies.

Please note online orders and personalized Green Vehicle licence plates are not available.

To learn more contact ServiceOntario at 1-800-387-3445 or 416-235-2999.

My bolding and sizing.

HOV Lane access is a big deal if you use the 404/QEW/403 often. Also, it's not like there is a price premium to get a Green Plate versus a regular one.
Also, I've yet to see a Green Plate suffer from the peeling problems that has plagued the blue plates.
Not to mention...theres talk of turning the whole provincial 400 system into a HOT lane toll network. If GV are excused from that it would be great.

Apparently they will trade them in for free but it's very hard to actually do that once you are at the Service Ontario. They insist on payment, government at it's finest

I just put up with mine, under a plate cover and taped on.
It was actually pretty painless for me. They checked to see if I was covered by the recall, maybe yours weren't yet suffered the same defect.

Right on!!! What is up with the peeling??? My wife has 2 year old plates and they are about half peeled.

I have never had that problem, but have seen tons on the road. I was told for a certain time, the metal used a kind of galvanizing that the paint just wouldn't stick to properly. I have 25 year old plates (pre-galvanized) on one of my cars (transferred several times) and they are in fairly good shape, but are rusting around the bolt holes. I have had newer (post-galvanized) plates on newer cars with no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Struja
Hey Everyone.

As a first time EV buyer, it seems obvious to go with the green plates, but from what I can tell, the benefits are not that significant;

- Access to HOV lanes
- No-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes (I dont even know where these exist, and im assuming the 407 is NOT included)
- You let everyone know that you have an environmentally friendly car

(via: Green licence plates)

Am I missing anything? Also, can you customize your green plate? (i.e 2FAST4U) My girlfriend really wants to create our own plate, but I want the benefits listed above.

P.S I am not going with 2FAST4U

you also get the benefit of not being a douche....so there's always that. :D

I have never had that problem, but have seen tons on the road. I was told for a certain time, the metal used a kind of galvanizing that the paint just wouldn't stick to properly. I have 25 year old plates (pre-galvanized) on one of my cars (transferred several times) and they are in fairly good shape, but are rusting around the bolt holes. I have had newer (post-galvanized) plates on newer cars with no problems.

Seems like most of the Bxxx series of plates have some peeling. There's a free replacement program and 5 year warranty on the plates.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/replace...plate-or-personalized-licence-plate#section-4

Prison labour isn't what it used to be.