Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario/Canada - Proper process to complete private sale/transfer with App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - based in Toronto and going to pickup a used Tesla from private seller later this week. After reading a bunch of threads the process for transferring the car on Tesla side varied a quite bit.

I'm wondering what is the latest best practice to ensure everything happens smoothly in a private deal and i don't get locked out/lose features etc? Should i create a Tesla app account first and then have the seller add me to his account? Should he remove the car in the app after he hands me the keys?

I called Tesla SC and they were pretty clueless about the proper procedure and referred me to sales who were not very helpful. They'll gladly help if you're buying a new one or CPO. Thank you!

I just handed over my 2013 MS to another owner today, so I have a pretty clear understanding of what the flow looks like.
I waited until the seller was there, and we performed everything together.
First, I logged into my Tesla account online and clicked on the manage button for my MS. There's a link on that page to transfer ownership of the car.
The form on the next page asks for the buyers first and last name as well as the email address.
Once you submit that form, there are instructions that you need to perform in the vehicle (settings > maintenance > reset). The car screen will prompt to enter your Tesla credentials to confirm (sellers).
After this, back on the website, click the next button and then the page indicates that you will receive an email to confirm the transfer.
I got the email on my phone, clicked the button, confirmed again, and it was all done.

There's an email that the buyer will get at this point to then register the car to their account.

Hope this helps