TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ontario Charging

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Struja, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Struja

Struja Struja

Recently, I've been driving around my relative neighbourhood checking out nearby charging stations. I don't have much of a personal need since I have a HPWC but l like seeing what is out there just in case. As luck would have it, I have two amazing (free) charging station very close to home, the Baka Mobile location at 630 the east mall and the one on Convair at Pearson Airport.

I have used Baka before I was properly equipped to charge at home.

However, I just checked out Convair and there is only two options for public charging. Either CHAdeMO or the CCS/SAE connectors. They also have 2 - J1772 stations but they are for GTAA vehicles only.

So, the only way a Tesla owner can charge is if they have the CHAdeMO adapter. My understanding is that these stations were paid for by our provincial government as a part of their plan to encourage EV use and ownership.

My question is...are these stations intentionally less friendly to Tesla owners? It just seems like they have gone out of there way to make this location less friendly for Tesla owners. Is that accurate?

• Like x 1
  2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Only Tesla uses proprietary connectors. Others use universal connectors. Tesla supplies adaptors so theirs can charge at universal stations too, but it's not fair to say this infrastructure is "Tesla unfriendly".

• Like x 2
  3. Struja

Struja Struja

Yes, I am aware of that but here is the problem...

Everywhere I go it seems that most EV cars can connect (or adapt) to the J1772 stations. If you are putting up a lot with 10 public stations and not a single one is a J1772, that seems a bit Tesla unfriendly.

Keep in mind, they do have two J1772 connectors but they ONLY permit their GTAA fleet to use them. Just seems a bit odd.

For example, they could have put 4 of the Chargepoint CHAdeMO - CCS/SAE stations and one of them as a J1772, but they seemed to intentionally leave out the J1772 connectors for public use.

I was at IKEA in Etobicoke 2 weeks ago and they had all three in the same area, so it obviously was a conscious choice. I am just wondering why.

4. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

J1772 is for Level 2 charging. CHAdeMO/CCS is for Level 3 fast charging -- these are the two universal standards comparable to Supercharging. You can't fast charge with J1772.

5. Struja

Struja Struja

I'm not sure I see your point.

They have level two chargers present, just not for the public. Are you saying this location is simply for people in a midst of a long road trip???

6. Struja

Struja Struja

From the MTO's website:

• The Level 3 charging station locations are generally strategically placed (e.g. near highways) to promote inter-city travel where cars can get up to 80% charge within 20 to 30 minutes.
    • The Level 2 charging station locations are generally strategically placed at locations close to major trip attractors and workplaces to promote in-city travel and charging for people who plan to spend more time at a given location.
    The fact that they have Leve 2 chargers but aren't open to the public seems to be contrary to their general goals.

7. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

How is this "Tesla unfriendly"?

Honestly they are saving the less interesting option for themselves because they understand it's a less practical option. The location is terrible as a destination charger, and probably didn't come out of the EVCO fund. Do you know for a fact the EVCO fund paid for them?

8. Struja

Struja Struja

9. Struja

Struja Struja

That same website they actually list the location as having two level 2 chargers and five level 3 so maybe they are just not being used as intended.

If you look at the Plugshare App, the "for GTAA use only" signs were taken down for a brief period but put back up.

10. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

11. Struja

Struja Struja

Nope, not that important to me. Just an observation. Almost seems like they aren't sure how to use the Level 2 chargers.

12. sakimano

sakimano Member

Not that important but you started a thread and argued about it (correctly)? Sounds pretty important. Send off a 2 line email. You'll get an answer

13. Struja

Struja Struja

It's not that important in that I won't use it and I didn't think I was arguing, I was asking a question.

I think @rypalmer made a good point about the reason for this charger not being a good destination charger, I just don't get why they have the level 2 chargers not for public use. Either make them available or don't have them. It just seemed odd that the ONLY chargers that a Tesla owner can use without an expensive adapter is not open to the public.

14. doubeld

doubeld Member

I kind of agree with @rypalmer. Perhaps if they left the L2 chargers open to the public, they would be ICEd or left unattended by EVs more often. An L3 station may get ICEd, but rarely would an EV driver be finished charging and EVd for too long.

15. andyro

andyro Member

#15 andyro, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    This is my thought exactly. I needed to charge recently in Collingwood. Public money paid for a station (400 of them!) - this one at a Tim Horton's. The manager there said, "Hey, you're the first person to pull up to it!" - Yeah - but I can't charge here!! :/ WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DECISION?!! $700 for a CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla?!! I'd be happy to take advantage of a L2 option.

Solution might be simply for MTO to provide a fixed CHAdeMO to tesla adpapter at these stations for use. If it were a $200 nugget I'd buy one in a heartbeat but I just don't use L3 chargers that often... seems like a major oversight to not anticipate Tesla charging at all of these new stations.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Public funds to support a proprietary connector... I can already hear the cries from the peanut gallery. No way no how.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  17. andyro

andyro Member

No patent, no license, not proprietary. Are you a tesla owner?

• Disagree x 3
  18. taylortbb

taylortbb Member

It's pretty clear he meant proprietary in that it's not an industry standard. It's designed and built by one company only.

Tesla is the one that decided to use a different connector than everyone else. I really don't see how it's the MTO's problem. MTO is supporting both industry standards, which have been approved by an independent vendor-neutral standards body. It's not the MTO's job to provide support for every non-standard connector someone comes up with.

I mean, as a future Tesla owner it would be super convenient, but I don't see the government should pay for my choice to go with a non-standard product.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Not to mention that Tesla is consistently rolling more Superchargers out - there's supposedly a number coming to Ontario before year end (just don't hold your breath). Ryan is correct, hence why the Tesla charge port is different in Europe than North America as well as why Tesla provides adapters to be able to use other chargers.

We'll have to see what happens over the next 3-5 years and see what changes do occur.

• Like x 1
  20. SnoopyMarkham

SnoopyMarkham Member

According to the press kit, the S gets a bunch of adapters, while the M3 gets none, at least for now. I hope Tesla does the same for the M3, but we'll have to wait and see.

What needs to happen is Tesla needs to get it's act together and install more SC and destination charging stations.