Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Ontario] ESA costs for inspecting EV Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the bill from my electrician that installed my Tesla wall charger and they have a $238 line item for the ESA inspection.

When I look at the fee schedule for ESA it says:

4.4.4 Electric Vehicle Chargers and related equipment The fee is $74* (NC $80) for the first piece of equipment plus $25 (NC $28) [R078] for each additional related piece of equipment or device installed by the same contractor at the same time.

Am I missing something or did my electrician charge me about $164 + tax as an admin fee to handle the ESA inspection?

• Funny
Reactions: tsxl
I just got the bill from my electrician that installed my Tesla wall charger and they have a $238 line item for the ESA inspection.

Am I missing something or did my electrician charge me about $164 + tax as an admin fee to handle the ESA inspection?
Shouldn't you be asking the electrician that did the work instead? Im pretty sure the scope of work dictates the permit fee ie: one price for a straight forward job, another price for a charger circuit that involves a trench to a detached garage etc. Also did or does the electrician have to meet the inspector for the final? Who pays the electrician for this time wasted waiting around for the inspection department? My guess is you do.

I think it’s about right. I have paid the same in past for ESA certification.

I had a nema 14-50 installed in March.
One quote was $79 for ESA, the second was $125 for ESA.
I just looked at the total price as the one with the higher ESA price was lower by $150 in total.
You may have paid less overall by going with the lower overall price. But it's obvious which of those electricians was the more honest of the two. At $79, the electrician is charging you what he actually pays for the permit, no mark up.
Something tells me you would have had a more professional installation done had you gone with the higher quote.
There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
If your electrician put in a cheap plastic $3.00 14-50 plug in, you're probably gonna regret it.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
You may have paid less overall by going with the lower overall price. But it's obvious which of those electricians was the more honest of the two. At $79, the electrician is charging you what he actually pays for the permit, no mark up.
Something tells me you would have had a more professional installation done had you gone with the higher quote.
There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
If your electrician put in a cheap plastic $3.00 14-50 plug in, you're probably gonna regret it.
I love the assumption that because I paid less I got cheap work instead of the higher price ripping me off. I didn't find this electrician on kijiji, he is licensed and the work passed the ESA inspection. Don't worry, I didn't get a leviton outlet installed.
The higher quote was from plugz.ca sight unseen. The electrician I went with came over and saw that I had a pretty easy install and charged accordingly.

Reactions: tsxl
I was charged $88 via ESA, as a homeowner installing it in my own garage.

I understand ESA licensed electricians pay less than others for inspections in most cases.
Could you please share the form that you use to apply to the ESA? I have been looking at the site and the one closest to this kind of small job is for HVAC. Is it the right one? I would like to do it myself in my own home.

Could you please share the form that you use to apply to the ESA? I have been looking at the site and the one closest to this kind of small job is for HVAC. Is it the right one? I would like to do it myself in my own home.
The easiest way to apply for the permit is to call and speak to them over the phone. 18773727233 is the number. The reps are usually quite friendly and helpful.
Ensure you mention you are a homeowner looking to add an ev outlet.the cost is $88 plus tax

As a sidenote if you are doing this i would suggest to install a subpanel in your garage, from which you can connect your ev outlet for your current need and expand as your needs change.