TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ontario ev charging station rebate

Discussion in 'Canada' started by orangem, Mar 16, 2013.

1. orangem

orangem Member

Just ordered a 40kwh model and hoping (crossing my fingers) that it will arrive in may/June.

I am trying to figure this ontario ev charging station rebate. The cost estimate to put in a 14-50 plug is around 1500. To be eligible for the charging rebate, is it true that I must also get a charging station?

If that's the case, I might plan to get a 6-50 plug installed and get a charging station with a 6-50 plug. If I charge the S, I will unplug the charging station and plug the umc into the 6-50 directly. Also,i can use the j1772 plug of the charging station to the tesla as well. Do you think will that work for receiving the rebate (if I must get a charging station) ? Also, will the 6-50 charging time be the same as using the 14-50?
    Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk HD

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you will be required to buy an approved charging station to be eligible. The rebate will cover up to 50% of the station + 50% of the wiring costs + 50% of the ESA Inspection Fee up to a cap of $1,000.

3. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

$1500 for a 14-50 seems outrageous to me. Mine cost $350 including conduit run from the breaker box, breaker, and outlet.

4. orangem

orangem Member

Yeah, 1500 sounds steep. They quoted that I need 30m of #6 wire. That's where the bulk of cost is. When the cost goes up to 1500, I figure I may as well get an approved charging station for 900 to get the rebate. That basically meant I would get the station for free and will be future proof to charge other cars that need a J1772 plug. However, all these charging stations are either hardwire to electric source or have a NEMA 6-50 plug to plug in. Therefore, I am thinking of building a 6-50 plug instead of a 14-50 plug.

5. orangem

orangem Member

Speaking of electricians , do you guys have any recommendations for gta area? Please pm me if you think is better that way. Looking to get more quotes. I thanks

6. kbeckley

kbeckley Member

I know a really good electrician in the GTA who put in my 14-50. Call Norbert at 416-930-1858. Mention Tino or Keith.

7. shiny

shiny Member

How much did it cost to have the NEMA 14-50 installed?

8. AnitaToronto

AnitaToronto Member

I would also like to know how much it is to install the NEMA 14-50. I am now calling around for quotes and they really vary. I was told by Mr. Electric that I do not need to have the HPWC to qualify for the ON charger rebate. He said people are eligible with just the wiring for the NEMA 14-50. This is different from what I'm reading here.

9. LexyHiker

LexyHiker Member

I emailed the MTO and asked if the wiring and 14-50 outlet by itself would be eligible, and while they didn't answer my question directly, I got the sense from their reply that it wasn't eligible, so I didn't bother applying. But I did get an inspection certificate just in case. Has anyone here received a rebate for wiring + NEMA 14-50 without a charging station?

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

You have to purchase an approved EVSE. Wiring an outlet alone is not eligible.