Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario ev charging station rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a 40kwh model and hoping (crossing my fingers) that it will arrive in may/June.

I am trying to figure this ontario ev charging station rebate. The cost estimate to put in a 14-50 plug is around 1500. To be eligible for the charging rebate, is it true that I must also get a charging station?

If that's the case, I might plan to get a 6-50 plug installed and get a charging station with a 6-50 plug. If I charge the S, I will unplug the charging station and plug the umc into the 6-50 directly. Also,i can use the j1772 plug of the charging station to the tesla as well. Do you think will that work for receiving the rebate (if I must get a charging station) ? Also, will the 6-50 charging time be the same as using the 14-50?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk HD

Just ordered a 40kwh model and hoping (crossing my fingers) that it will arrive in may/June.

I am trying to figure this ontario ev charging station rebate. The cost estimate to put in a 14-50 plug is around 1500. To be eligible for the charging rebate, is it true that I must also get a charging station?

If that's the case, I might plan to get a 6-50 plug installed and get a charging station with a 6-50 plug. If I charge the S, I will unplug the charging station and plug the umc into the 6-50 directly. Also,i can use the j1772 plug of the charging station to the tesla as well. Do you think will that work for receiving the rebate (if I must get a charging station) ? Also, will the 6-50 charging time be the same as using the 14-50?
Thanks

Unfortunately you will be required to buy an approved charging station to be eligible. The rebate will cover up to 50% of the station + 50% of the wiring costs + 50% of the ESA Inspection Fee up to a cap of $1,000.

Yeah, 1500 sounds steep. They quoted that I need 30m of #6 wire. That's where the bulk of cost is. When the cost goes up to 1500, I figure I may as well get an approved charging station for 900 to get the rebate. That basically meant I would get the station for free and will be future proof to charge other cars that need a J1772 plug. However, all these charging stations are either hardwire to electric source or have a NEMA 6-50 plug to plug in. Therefore, I am thinking of building a 6-50 plug instead of a 14-50 plug.

I would also like to know how much it is to install the NEMA 14-50. I am now calling around for quotes and they really vary. I was told by Mr. Electric that I do not need to have the HPWC to qualify for the ON charger rebate. He said people are eligible with just the wiring for the NEMA 14-50. This is different from what I'm reading here.

I emailed the MTO and asked if the wiring and 14-50 outlet by itself would be eligible, and while they didn't answer my question directly, I got the sense from their reply that it wasn't eligible, so I didn't bother applying. But I did get an inspection certificate just in case. Has anyone here received a rebate for wiring + NEMA 14-50 without a charging station?

I emailed the MTO and asked if the wiring and 14-50 outlet by itself would be eligible, and while they didn't answer my question directly, I got the sense from their reply that it wasn't eligible, so I didn't bother applying. But I did get an inspection certificate just in case. Has anyone here received a rebate for wiring + NEMA 14-50 without a charging station?

You have to purchase an approved EVSE. Wiring an outlet alone is not eligible.